Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Utilizing Sean Taylor in the red zone...

Dirk Diggler

Forgive me if Greg Williams has already done this, as I've missed the last 2 games being from the Jersey area. ;)

I think Sean Taylor would be wonderful at corner inside the 10. It seems like almost every team runs that ally-oop jump ball when they get down near the goal line. They bring in their jumbo set and have 1 WR split wide and then have him sprint for the corner of the end zone. Randy Moss has made it famous but I'm sure we'll see it from TO and Keyshawn when the Eagles and Cowboys get down near the goal line.

I think with Taylor's size, long arms, jumping ability and ball skills he will be able to come down with a few of those jump balls.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Forgive me if Greg Williams has already done this, as I've missed the last 2 games being from the Jersey area. ;)

I think Sean Taylor would be wonderful at corner inside the 10. It seems like almost every team runs that ally-oop jump ball when they get down near the goal line. They bring in their jumbo set and have 1 WR split wide and then have him sprint for the corner of the end zone. Randy Moss has made it famous but I'm sure we'll see it from TO and Keyshawn when the Eagles and Cowboys get down near the goal line.

I think with Taylor's size, long arms, jumping ability and ball skills he will be able to come down with a few of those jump balls.

That's how they utilized him at Miami at times. I recall 'Canes corner, Alphonso Marshall (who I think was the one flagged for interference in the infamous OSU/MIA title game) getting beat by, I wanna say, Larry Fitzgerald who had him by a few inches. Next few trips into the red zone for Pittsburgh saw Taylor matched one on one with him. Fade was attempted, no score. It's happened a few other times as well in similar situations.

Originally posted by China

Clone him!:)

Damn straight. Who here can honestly say they are against human cloning now? You've just made the best argument in favor of it so far. Imagine a whole defensive backfield filled with Sean Taylors.....whoa, that's scary!!!

I think Taylor could probably cover as well as any corner in the game on the short field.

Let's say a team is on the 10 yard line. He only needs to cover 20 yards (including the 10 yards of end zone behind him) and that's after he gets a real good jam on the WR.

Sure I wouldn't want Taylor covering Marvin Harrison one on one at midfield with 60 yards behind him but not Ronnie Lott in his prime couldn't do that. Again, it's a special situation. I'm not asking the guy to become Champ Bailey and follow a WR all over the field.

Originally posted by B&G

I'd like to try him in the red zone....as a running back on offense! ;)

Funny ... when I saw this thread, I thought about how effective Taylor could be on offense, inside the 5 yard line, lined up as a WR.

He could lay down a punishing block to clear out space for a run or another WR ... or release and become a tall receiver target.

I really think he'd be a more effective WR inside the 5-yard line than Coles is, for the same reasons that McCants is, and more.

I'd bet that Taylor will end up as a corner in several defenses that Williams will run. We know that Arrington will line up as a DE, WLB, SLB, MLB and SS given the defense called. I imagine Washington and Barrow will do the same. Taylor will probably end up lining up as a backer, strong safety, corner and maybe even as an end as well as free safety.

For instance, with Taylor you can probably go with a 40 nickel that you can switch to a standard 43 or a 50 nickel without personnel changes. You could switch between a 43 and a 44 or even go with a 52 or 53 Bear.

Originally posted by SonnyRules

Great observations.

I'm sure Gregg Willaims will move players around as the situation dictates.

He has already discussed using Lavar at all three linebacking roles, at end, and as a safety.

Should be fun this year watching playmakers making plays.

Bejubus! Arrington at safety? LMAO!!! Talk about alligator arms.

Originally posted by posse

bad idea.

we need him to lineup as a linebacker when inside the 10.

I disagree here. Taylor was drafted just to stop especially the mis-matches in the Red Zone. T.O., Shockey, or the 6'4 R. Moss vs. the 5'11 Smoot doesn't exist now. Also, Taylor isn't "Needed" at LB as much cause that is a "Strength" on the Skins D. That allows Taylor to shadow the opponents tallest, most physical WR, all the while Barrow fills, and Washington and/or Arrington rush the passer. Bowen covers the RB and things can get ugly.:2cents:

Archived