Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Kerry the Most Liberal Senator?

atlantaskin

We have consistently heard that John Kerry is the most liberal member of the Senate and that Edwards is ranked 4th. However, this link to the Daily Howler seems to refute that. Take the time to read the article--it's some good food for thought:

http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh080604.shtml

In case you don't want to read the article, here is the list of the top 10 most liberal Senators based on lifetime voting:

National Journal: Most liberal senators, lifetime voting

1. Mark Dayton, D-Minn.

2. Paul Sarbanes, D-Md.

3. Jack Reed, D-R.I.

4. Jon Corzine, D-N.J.

5. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.

6. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif.

7. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa

8. Richard Durbin, D-Ill.

9. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J.

10. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt

Where are Kerry and Edwards?

Kilmer, love the comment. I heard that Kerry being on the Security Council had missed 27 out of 38 meetings called. Is there more to this absentee Senator thing than just his voting record? Maybe he was out snowbording or mountain biking.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Bwahahaha. WOW. Did you just change my name to make it funny?

Bwahahaha how original. That's awesome!!!!!

I cant believe nobodies done that before.

lol.....

Dude, that's not funny! Seriously, I say I love you and you make fun of my inability to spell and you laugh in my face. Not cool dude! It doesn't make me love you any less, I'm just saying.

The Americans for Democratic Action, a prominent liberal advocacy group, gives Mr. Kerry a lifetime career rating of 92 on a 100-point scale, with 100 being the most liberal. Mr. Kerry's rating is higher than fellow Democratic candidate Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich, Ohio Democrat.

Why is it such a big deal?

He's a liberal Politician that is just doing what a Liberal state wants him to do? As he should!

It's par for the course. New guy comes on board all filled with piss and vinegar and either leaves on his own or calms down enough to engage in normal, albeit heated, debate.

doc will come around. He just needs to get smacked around a little more first.

FWIW, this applies to both sides of the Pol Spectrum.

Originally posted by ross3909

Kilmer, love the comment. I heard that Kerry being on the Security Council had missed 27 out of 38 meetings called. Is there more to this absentee Senator thing than just his voting record? Maybe he was out snowbording or mountain biking.

Why change the subject? The Republicans have labeled John Kerry the most liberal member of the Senate. Apparently it is not true. So why do they keep referring to him in that way?

Originally posted by Thiebear

The Americans for Democratic Action, a prominent liberal advocacy group, gives Mr. Kerry a lifetime career rating of 92 on a 100-point scale, with 100 being the most liberal. Mr. Kerry's rating is higher than fellow Democratic candidate Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich, Ohio Democrat.

Why is it such a big deal?

He's a liberal Politician that is just doing what a Liberal state wants him to do? As he should!

What matters is the disregard for the truth. Personally, I would love to have the most liberal member of the Senate as our president (shocking, I know). But unfortunately, "liberal" has a negative connotation with so many voters.

All I'm asking for is accuracy in the portrayal of BOTH candidates. I'm tired of the negative and deceptive campaigning.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

It's par for the course. New guy comes on board all filled with piss and vinegar and either leaves on his own or calms down enough to engage in normal, albeit heated, debate.

doc will come around. He just needs to get smacked around a little more first.

FWIW, this applies to both sides of the Pol Spectrum.

Milker dear, I really do love you! And I look forward to being "smacked around a little" too. Ooohh baby!:D

However, back to the original subject:

Yes, there is a ranking of "liberal-ness" that shows Kerry as the most liberal member of the US Senate, and Edwards as the fourth.

The ranking was done by the GOP. After Kerry won the nomination.

Obviously, this is a completely neutral source, who was honestly attempting to accurately describe a political candidate's history.

I've even (once) seen a journalist actually question a political spokesman about the source of the "most liberal" label. The setting was the Comedy Channel's The Daily Show, and his guest (chairman of the GOP?) flat-out refused to identify where this ranking came from: "Well, they do these. . " "Who's 'they'?", "Well, lots of people", "Which people said he was 'most liberal'?" "Well, they do.", and so forth.

As near as I can tell, the best example of honest journalism I've seen in the last year, came from a comedy show.

Archived