Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

700's look on coaches list...

Renegade7

Am I missing something??

Most gave him his due, some said he shouldn't be ranked because he hasn't coached in over a decade, an someone said he is a *****.

He hasn't coached in a long time, so on the all-time list he certainly belongs, but he needs to be re-evaluated amongst his current peers (over the next couple years, IMO, in case in takes him a season or 2 to get everyone on board with his system).

I don't think he should b ranked without coaching for such a long period of time, either. Next year? Yes- just not before he has even coached a game in this era.

As for him him "being a *****"- it's a running joke on that site. Everyone is a *****.....not some "classless" and/or "ignorant" display.

In fact, I think it would be more ignorant to assume that Gibbs will take a bunch of proven losers (most of the members of this current roster are veterans of losing teams) and entrenched players that have blamed their past 4 or 5 losing seasons on their past 4 or 5 coaches (of course taking no blame for their own behavior and lack of discipline) and make them contenders in a stiff division as soon as he steps onto the field.

The smart money is on the Skins placing 2nd or 3rd in the NFC East this year, being a lot more competitive, and making a playoff push next season.

With Dallas doing nothing but improving themselves and the Eagles improving themselves, it's not just catching them- they have to leapfrog them.....not an easy feat.

I am now stupider for reading that message board...

"Gibbs is too far removed from the game?"

"Gibbs won't be around long?"

"Billick deserves respect?"(somewhat off-topic, but Marvin Lewis won that SB)

Man, these ignorant Eagle fans are in for a very rude awakening- that is, that basically, their grace period is over.

And, f_dallas,

Anyone that believes that Gibbs doesn't turn this team into an instant playoff contender this season is just as ignorant.

Not 'ignorant' in a rude way, but just that many over there, wearing their green-and-white-colored glasses don't understand something- Joe Gibbs is not another Spurrier-type. This is a born winner. Everything the man touches turns to gold. He's been winning in nascar now for over a decade. And your fellow Eagles fans think that he doesn't know football anymore?

Like I said- a rude, rude awakening. And oh yeah- TO will be the death of your team. He did it to the 49ers (look at them now!), and now he's gonna do it to the Eagles.

F-f_dallas ;)

Sorry, didn't take enough time to see through HUGE TYPE that says "GIBBS IS A BITC*!" and realize that its a running joke...

I didn't say anything about ranking the coaches because it was a little ridiculous to simply dismiss Gibbs by saying over and over again that the game has passed him by...

"wake-up-white-people"

Anyone that believes that Gibbs doesn't turn this team into an instant playoff contender this season is just as ignorant.

That's my entire point- why would anyone assume anything?

99% of Eagle fans (and most other fanbases) are simply saying "show me". Times change, and in the case of Gibbs, a LOT of rules have changed.

Will he be able to coach at the same level as he used to? Probably, but I'm not going to crown him the best coach in the NFL when he hasn't stepped onto the field in such a long time- I just want him to re-establish that he can do it before he gets that recognition.

Even if he falls flat on his face, that doesn't change his legacy.....it would just show that maybe players don't want good coaching anymore or something like that.

The only thing that can be considered ignorant is to simply assume that he will be just as effective as he was in an entirely different era. You can believe that to be the case, but not call someone else ignorant for wanting him to prove that he's back first.

11 years ago, Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden were widely considered the best or among the best coaches in college football, and now they are simply figureheads on semi-drowning college programs.

Are they significantly worse coaches than they were 11 years ago or did some of the game/players/attitudes pass them by?

For every example like that, you can also point to the flip sides like Vermeil, Holtz, etc., so I'm not saying that Gibbs has no chance.......just saying I want to see how he does- that's all.

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

many over there, wearing their green-and-white-colored glasses

Hold on, I thought philly changed their colors to black and green. About a decade or so late for that fashion statement, typical though. Apparently black slims down that fat b!tch andy reid and his running joke of a team. And f philly.

I have to agree with f_dallas on this one (as much as I hate agreeing with a philly fan :eaglesuck ). Aside from the Gibbs is a *****, I thought that they were fairly objective. Nothing wrong with the "what have you done lately" mentality, as I'm sure some of us felt that way when Dallas got the Tuna. As far as being an immediate playoff contender....C'mon guys, there are no guarantees, so its NOT ignorant to think that the Redskins may not make the playoffs, especially in our division.

Typical Phillie fans....another reason why no one should sell their tix to Iggles, fans

How many reasons do you need? :doh:

You shouldn't sell your tickets to Eagles fans (or any opposing fan) if you can help it, IMO, if nothing more than to keep the stadium on the home team's side......right?

Originally posted by f_dallas

How many reasons do you need? :doh:

You shouldn't sell your tickets to Eagles fans (or any opposing fan) if you can help it, IMO, if nothing more than to keep the stadium on the home team's side......right?

How did we end up with the one logical Eagles fan out there?

Off topic, but Brian Billick's teams have overachieved the last few years, even though the talent level has been subpar. ADD THAT to his Super Bowl victory AND the dominant offenses he created in Minnesota. This makes it difficult to argue the fact that the guy can coach... as much of a jerk as he may be.

Though, like most everyone here, I feel that Gibbs will make an instant impact, read Hulk's post and he makes 3 or 4 very compelling reasons why Gibbs may not have the immediate success that most here take as a given.

Oh, by the way... replace the word "Gibbs" and "hasn't coached in years" with "Spurrier" and "hasn't coached at the NFL level" and this is the EXACT same argument we had a few years ago. Just something to think about before you start calling people names, like "ignorant homers."

Am I missing something??

Most gave him his due, some said he shouldn't be ranked because he hasn't coached in over a decade, an someone said he is a *****.

He hasn't coached in a long time, so on the all-time list he certainly belongs, but he needs to be re-evaluated amongst his current peers (over the next couple years, IMO, in case in takes him a season or 2 to get everyone on board with his system).

I don't think he should b ranked without coaching for such a long period of time, either. Next year? Yes- just not before he has even coached a game in this era.

As for him him "being a *****"- it's a running joke on that site. Everyone is a *****.....not some "classless" and/or "ignorant" display.

In fact, I think it would be more ignorant to assume that Gibbs will take a bunch of proven losers (most of the members of this current roster are veterans of losing teams) and entrenched players that have blamed their past 4 or 5 losing seasons on their past 4 or 5 coaches (of course taking no blame for their own behavior and lack of discipline) and make them contenders in a stiff division as soon as he steps onto the field.

The smart money is on the Skins placing 2nd or 3rd in the NFC East this year, being a lot more competitive, and making a playoff push next season.

With Dallas doing nothing but improving themselves and the Eagles improving themselves, it's not just catching them- they have to leapfrog them.....not an easy feat.

Which players blamed the coaches for losing? I've heard Arrington talk about Spurrier. He said Spurrier left it up to the players to do the right thing and it didn't happen. He blamed it squarely on the the players. I haven't heard one player say we've lost because we we're poorly coached.

As for him placing so high. I agree that it's difficult to place him because he hasn't coached in so long. I think you'd almost have to leave him off the list for now. Since they don't do that and they rate all the coaches you have to predict how good you think he'll be. Given the fact that he's done better than any coach now coaching and did well in Nascar I don't think he was placed too high. The ranking is on how good the coaches are not on how well the team will do.

As for where the 'Skins will place. I think most people think they'll place 2nd or 3rd and have a good fight with Dallas. It's not too far fetched that things pan out and they take the division though.

I would be surprised but not awe struck. The Redskins do have quite a bit of talent to work with.

Philly is definately the team to beat but it won't be a cake walk for them.

Originally posted by phantom

Off topic, but Brian Billick's teams have overachieved the last few years, even though the talent level has been subpar. ADD THAT to his Super Bowl victory AND the dominant offenses he created in Minnesota. This makes it difficult to argue the fact that the guy can coach... as much of a jerk as he may be.

Overachieved?!?!? Do you even watch football?

The Ratbirds had 8 ProBowlers last year and lost in the 1st round of the playoffs, in Baltimore, to a wild card Titan team. How is 8 probowlers subpar talent ?? And they got a gift win from the refs against Seattle and still practically had to back into the playoffs in the NFL's worst division.

He created Randy Moss and Cris Carter?? Better tell Dennis Green. Whats he done offensively since? Watch his latest handpicked QB Boller, Ryan Leaf without the personality, another bust.

He is a great motivator, playing the "us against the world" bit, and a self proclaimed genius, just ask him....but the Ratbirds are Ray Lewis's team. :puke:

Overachieved?!?!? Do you even watch football?

The Ratbirds had 8 ProBowlers last year and lost in the 1st round of the playoffs, in Baltimore, to a wild card Titan team. How is 8 probowlers subpar talent ?? And they got a gift win from the refs against Seattle and still practically had to back into the playoffs in the NFL's worst division.

If I had to guess, I think he would be referring to the masive roster purge they had to endure 2 or 3 years ago and how quickly they recovered from being a Super Bowl champion, salary cap hell beast, and back to respectibility.

If you look at their team, you have to give credit to Billick, but more credit (IMO) to Newsome.

He had no money to work with and had to cut his entire team (I think they featured something like 14 new starters after their failed run at a repeat) and they just built their success level back up by keeping Ray Lewis and Jon Ogden in good contract status.

Their pro bowlers were:

- Ogden

- Jamal Lewis

- Ray Lewis

- Todd Heap

- Peter Boulware

- Chris Mcalister

- Ed Reed

- Adalius Thomas

Every one of them was under 30 years old, and every one of them was drafted by Baltimore.

Some of those guys were there for the Super Bowl run, but I think the combination of good coaching and good drafting brought them back into contention very quickly.

As for losing to a "wild card" team....I think we all know that the Titans were not your every day wild card team.

EDIT: Long story short, I think the overachieving label comes from the fact that no one expected Baltimore to do anything last year and they turned out a very good season. Part of the reason they had so many pro bowlers was because of the eyes that their team opened.

If I had to guess, I think he would be referring to the masive roster purge they had to endure 2 or 3 years ago and how quickly they recovered from being a Super Bowl champion, salary cap hell beast, and back to respectibility.

If you look at their team, you have to give credit to Billick, but more credit (IMO) to Newsome.

Baltimores Super Bowl team was built through free agency and a very expensive payroll.....#2 payroll in the league that year, behind the 'Skins. I am not discounting any Super Bowl victory, but it would have been nice to see them play Minnesota that year instead of the way the Giants laid down like Brett Favre, and to have seen fat ass Siragusa punished, or at least penalized for that bullsh!t pile drive on Rich Gannon in the AFCCG.

OZZIE did a great job rebuilding after the fact. But to hear the local media ( I'm in the Baltimore market), the Rats have ALWAYS built through the draft.

They have an excellent defense and a crappy offense, for which eventually Billick will have to own up to. Jamal had a great year last year running thru the JV called the AFC North, especially Cleveland. Lets see what he does with the NFC East this year, if he is not in jail.

f dallas, I cant read your fellow Philly fans mind, so I just go with what was written. I said Billick is a great motivator, but to give him credit for "overachieving" with a "subpar" team, and for the "dominant offense he created" in Minnesota is laughable, at best. If he "built" it in Minnesota, why cant he replicate it in B-more after all these years? He better pray that Ray Lewis hangs on for a few more years, because after he's gone....

Finally, when the Ratbirds do have a down year or two again, you will see the mass exodus of Baltimore "fans", as they are without a doubt, the most fair weather and football ignorant fans in the NFL. Bar none.

Archived