Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News: NCAA Football Top 25

China

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

Jimbo,

Don't forget college football on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays too....

Is it me - or has the # of games midweek become a nuisance? What happened to Saturday afternoon football?

More football on TV a bad thing? crazy

I love it when there's a good thursday night game to watch. Those friday night Fresno State games can be boring though, but I still watch them.

I like how they have the Jackets at 25, I think they could very well be a top 25 team in terms of coaching, talent, etc. And I think they got the record about right, they'll likely get 6 or 7 wins and keep that bowl streak alive(7 years). But I don't see how 6-5 makes them a top 25 ranked team. I think being a top 25 team and be a top 25 ranked team are two very different things and that would surprise me.,

My gf hates me during football season, especially once bowl week in college starts and there is a game on almost every single day.

I love football more than enough to watch it all day everyday.

Bring on the season already.

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

I think WVU might pose a problem for UConn this year. The only team who has handled WVU the past two years is Maryland.

Buff - don't downplay Maryland's talent. VT is nothing but a fraud now (losing record in Big East the past 3 years, I believe). MD should compete with FSU and Miami - who should have lost last year to WVU as long as Ralph is coaching.

Wonder who Sporting News has WVU losing too - I can see Maryland as a loss - but who else on their schedule will beat them? They have manhandled VT recently...and Pitt in on the decline...

2004 Football Schedule

September 4 East Carolina Home

September 11 Central Florida Away

September 18 Maryland Home

September 25 James Madison Home

October 2 Virginia Tech Away

October 13 Connecticut Away

Oct. 20 or 21 Syracuse Home

October 30 Rutgers Away

November 6 Temple Home

November 13 Boston College Home

November 25 Pittsburgh Away

Fellow Mountaineer here. I obviously agree with your statement. I hope we can finally beat MD this year. Actually, I hope we can compete with them. The Mounties just don't seem like the same team when they play the terps. This is WVU's best chance to make a run at the national title in a long time. Their schedule is weak, but if the cards fall right, they could end up playing in the big game or one of the other BCS bowls. It is a great time to be a skins fan and an eers fan.

Bah, my Canes only at 9?

I think they'll be damn good on offense as long as Berlin keeps himself in check and doesn't play like a moron, even if Gore can't stay healthy. Tyrone Moss is a big time runningback... With Moore and Parrish at the wide out spots along with Jenkins... They should be solid... My only question is Everett at TE, he's no KW2.

As for the D, McIntosh is a complete stud, and in my opinion was just a small notch below DJ Williams and Jon Vilma last season... My question mark on the defense without a doubt is the "outfielders". Threat and Meriweather back there scare the crap out of me... If you'll take a trip down memory lane, Meriweather was the one who got absolutely ran over by WVU's runningback... Now with Rolle being suspended, that's a spot that's going to be a question mark as well... But I have confidence in Atkins, Carroll, Brown, Thomas and all of the other big nasties down there on the field...

Should be a great season... But even though I'm a big 'Canes fan I'm not quite sure they're going to meet all of your guys lofty expectations... I honestly see them finishing below FSU (Although I still think they'll beat FSU) and possibly behind Maryland... yup, I said it... Possibly behind Maryland.

I'll throw my 2 cents in on this, at least about my two teams:

1. USC - The way he is bragging them up, I'm really worried about a letdown, especially against VT in the first game of the season. That SHOULDN'T happen given the loss last year Vs. Cal, and I'm sure Pete Carrol has let them know it. But it only takes one loss to ruin the title hopes.

10 - UVA - I have to say, I'm a little skeptical about this. No doubt the D rules, but Hagans doesn't inspire much confidence in me. And Martinez (the one they brought in at first after Schaub went down last year) played pretty bad, so hopefully they can rely on their ground attack and their TE Miller to keep them in the close games.

Geez. How tough is the ACC going to be? 7 teams in the top 25 and my boys from Tech not even listed? That is one big-time conference.

To tell the truth, I won't even be that upset if Tech only wins 7 games. I am just overjoyed to FINALLY be in the ACC. The Big East was a decent conference, just didn't inspire me playing SU, BC and the others. I mean, Rutgers? Who the H cares? At least beating Duke will make up for them smacking us around in B Ball. Plus, I might be able to jump in the car and drive to an away on a whim. All of our games, save Miami, are within easy driving distance from Richmond.

I also think that UConn will be a big time player in the near future. Their move to the Big East will help, along with that nice new stadium. There really aren't that many great teams in New England, so they should have a decent recruiting base. Let's hope they follow the Tech model, not the ECU model. I wish they stuck with their old helmets. The ones last time we played them were pretty weak.

That said, my prediction for Tech this year is to go 8-5. The move to a new conference will definitely keep things interesting. We will face a lot of unfamiliar teams. That should work out in our favor, since we won't be favorites in a lot of games. I hope my boys regain that fire we had in the late 90s when we were always the underdogs, instead of the team people wanted to see get taken down a notch.

We've got 5 pretty much gimme games, and I hope we can split the rest. We know UVa, WVa and Miami, and have had good luck with them. Don't play FSU. USC will be a loss, but we should have a nice homefield advantage. Don't know much about GT, but they must be decent to be ranked. NCSU will be tough, but we have them at home.

All in all, I can't wait for football season.

GO HOKIES!!!

Originally posted by Liberty

Virginia Tech vs No. 1 USC at Fed Ex field. Big chance for Tech, now with the stupid Vick-Randall contoversy gone maybe we wil have a decent chance at winning the game.

UVa ranked 10th lol they don't even have a QB.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You might score 10 if you are lucky while USC scores 50.

It is going to be a blowout, USC is stacked this year more then the last two, if Williams does come back I will say 55 points :)

Archived