Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone been to the International Spy Museum?

MichaelM

What would you pick?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What would you pick?

• Money
    • Babes

Originally posted by visionary

I've been there, and it was good, but young kids might get bored pretty easily, even though there are some things for them to do.

I agree, I think it's good for adults but leave the kids with grandma. There's a lot of reading, and they will get fidgety as the tour progresses. The Spy Museum has lots of neat stuff, like zippo lighters with cameras, and cars with hidden compartments. I had a good time. There's much emphasis put on Spying in WWII. If you are a WWII buff like me, you will really like that part of the tour. It is a self-guided tour, for the most part aside from a introduction video. You should go. :cheers:

aimed at the teenage population.

It really glorified spies in almost movie like ways...it painted them a lot like James Bond.

There is a fair amount of reading (it is a museum), but I was pretty impressed with the number of hands on activities. I took my brother last year (he was 15). He liked it so much he is taking his girlfriend this year.

I had the cool experience of attending a reception at the museum at which Gen. Barry McCaffery spoke and then a tour of the museum was led by Tony Mendez, who is know as the CIA's "Master of Disguise" and who is on the museum's board of directors. Mendez had a hand in some of the events described in the museum, and helped put some of the exhibits together. Very interesting to have him right there as a color commentator as we're looking at the exhibits.

As to the question of the thread, it's not the best destination for an 8 or 11 year old, IMO. There ARE some things they would like - gadgets, James Bond's car, a secret tunnel they can climb in to spy on others in the museum - but many of the exhibits would be over their heads, and there is a lot of reading.

I think most kids that young would lose interest quickly. And since, unlike the Smithsonian Museums, there is an admission fee, you may not get your money's worth if they're bugging you to leave too soon.

Having said that, it is a VERY cool museum.

I work right next door to it, and the lines are long EVERY morning when I get off the Metro. Usually packed with kids too. Never been there myself, but I see a lot of kids in line. I have heard great things, but from those who are a bit older.

Archived