Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MH-Redskins covet Ogunleye?

Lavarleap56

www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/9035840.htm

Redskins covet Ogunleye?

BY BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@herald.com

Despite a published report indicating interest from the Washington Redskins, the Dolphins have no plans to trade unsigned defensive end Adewale Ogunleye at this time, a team source said.

The Washington Times reported recently that the Redskins offered a No. 1 draft pick to the Dolphins for Ogunleye.

''I am not permitted to discuss Wale's situation with other teams, nor do we feel like we have to,'' said his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. ``We have focused our discussions exclusively with the Dolphins. [but] I am well-connected within the NFL, and I've heard the report is accurate.''

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs has denied the Times report. The Dolphins don't comment publicly on trade rumors, but the team might consider a trade only if talks with Ogunleye don't progress during the next two months.

Negotiations on a new contract are not expected to intensify until closer to the start of training camp July 30.

''We're at somewhat of an impasse,'' Rosenhaus said. ``The biggest hang-up has to do with guaranteed money.''

Although Rosenhaus said he believes it's unlikely it would come to such a point, he confirmed Ogunleye would sit out either the first seven or 10 regular-season games if he doesn't reach agreement on a long-term deal. If a contract isn't worked out, the Dolphins must notify Ogunleye after the third preseason game if he will be suspended the first three games after he reports.

If the Dolphins take that approach, Ogunleye would report for the final nine games of the season. That would allow him to suit up the minimum six games needed to qualify for unrestricted free agency next offseason. If the Dolphins don't suspend him, he would report after 10 regular-season games.

''But we're a long way from that, and I'm very optimistic we can avoid that,'' Rosenhaus said.

• The Dolphins have had preliminary discussions on a contract for first-round pick Vernon Carey, and the sides have not exchanged offers. But agent Ben Dogra said he's not concerned. Serious talks are expected to begin after the July 4 weekend.

come on, please not another Wale thread, I dont think its gonna happen now if the Dolphins dont wanna trade him. Also, Id say he is worth it despite playing alongside Taylor, we've had this discussion a lot already.

Dolphins can't afford to keep him, and I doubt they'd keep him knowing he'd hold-out(which he will do). He's worth a first round because you aren't going to get anyone better in the draft, and it almost solidifies us going to the super bowl THIS YEAR.

Was Charles Mann worth less when Dexter Manley left the Redskins? :)

No, in fact his stats went up and he made the pro bowl in place of #72.

The common mistake people make is assuming one player makes the career of the other.

In some cases it is true as when you have a dominant cover corner and then the guy on the other side benefits with more picks, but if a DE is capable of netting 9 and then 15 sacks and he is just 26 years old, you would have to say he is a blue chip 'prospect' who is already performing at the NFL level.

How is that production not worth what is likely to be a mid first round choice?

Kenard Lang was taken #17 by the Redskins and he never reached 9 sacks, let alone 15.

The Redskins in fact haven't had a player get at least 15 since 1986 when Manley had 18.5 to lead the NFC.

Originally posted by Renegade7

Dolphins can't afford to keep him, and I doubt they'd keep him knowing he'd hold-out(which he will do). He's worth a first round because you aren't going to get anyone better in the draft, and it almost solidifies us going to the super bowl THIS YEAR.

There is no such thing as a solidified Super Bowl, 1999 was an exaple of that, but then again, you were 9 or 10 years old back then.

I predict that if the trade goes down, we trade 1st. round and 3rd. or 4th. round picks for him. He would help us and it couldn't hurt us.(I hope) I have seen people talking about people from Somoa being able to make the transition to the NFL level and I think there are possible players in Russia. Maybe we need a scout in Russia. Something like George Allen looking for players on vacation.

The Bulldog is right on again. If we have a chance to get Ogunleye for our #1 pick -- which hopefully figures to be low next year -- we had better get him.

The theory that Ogunleye is not that good a pass rusher because Jason Taylor plays opposite him, does not hold water. If that were true, teams without a pass rush would only draft top pass rushing DE's in pairs. One top pass rushing DE on a team is better than none, which is why the Eagles went after Jevon Kearse. :doh:

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

The Bulldog is right on again. If we have a chance to get Ogunleye for our #1 pick -- which hopefully figures to be low next year

Maybe the Dolphins also feel that way and that's why they're not so eager to pull the trigger.

Nick

Originally posted by Disco Dave

I predict that if the trade goes down, we trade 1st. round and 3rd. or 4th. round picks for him. He would help us and it couldn't hurt us.(I hope) I have seen people talking about people from Somoa being able to make the transition to the NFL level and I think there are possible players in Russia. Maybe we need a scout in Russia. Something like George Allen looking for players on vacation. [/QUOTe

Knowing the Skins, we'll over compensate for the guy. We'll give a 1st and 2nd and Rod Gardner and then say we had to have this guy.

Originally posted by DCMONEY

Knowing the Skins, we'll over compensate for the guy. We'll give a 1st and 2nd and Rod Gardner and then say we had to have this guy. [/b]

We don't have a 2nd round pick next year (gave it up to move up and pick Cooley). No worries about losing it now... :cool:

Nick

Originally posted by panel

There is no such thing as a solidified Super Bowl, 1999 was an exaple of that, but then again, you were 9 or 10 years old back then.

If we managed to get Ogunleye, I can only name a few teams that would be better then us all around position wise and coaching wise. Pats, maybe, and everyone else would be a stretch. I'd even go as far as to say that we might be BETTER then the pats, but we'd have to go out and prove it on the feild. They're not a lot of teams that are going to be able to handle our running game, and the only thing worse then them playing catch up is having Smoot, Springs, Taylor, waiting for ya, Lavar and Ogunleye swinging around your blindside, if your lucky Washington won't be coming as well, and Barrow will be staring you down waiting for you to screw up so he can lay a smack down on somebody. That's the 2004 Washington Redskins, and in my book, that makes us a super bowl contender. Get a ticket for Jax while you still can. :cool:

BTW: nice save bulldog. :notworthy

Originally posted by smashmowf

Is he worth a first rounder without us having a guy like Jason Taylor on the other side? I don't think so....

Good point. The athletes and agents always try and downplay that and the teams can;t come out and say it. I would be very careful with this guy. I'm not convinced he's worth a 1st rounder and definitely not worth all the BIG$$$ his agent wants

Originally posted by Renegade7

If we managed to get Ogunleye, I can only name a few teams that would be better then us all around position wise and coaching wise. Pats, maybe, and everyone else would be a stretch. I'd even go as far as to say that we might be BETTER then the pats, but we'd have to go out and prove it on the feild.

Settle down.:laugh:I think Ogun would be a huge pick up for us, but we're far from a lock to win the SB. Nobody is a lock these days. Lets give them a chance to play a few games together.

Originally posted by GSF

Settle down.:laugh:I think Ogun would be a huge pick up for us, but we're far from a lock to win the SB. Nobody is a lock these days. Lets give them a chance to play a few games together.

I'll wait then, but I stand by what I say.:laugh: ;)

Archived