Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just saw Dwight Smith on Total Access and he says Gruden has already been showing

skinsfn

them old tapes of Gibbs' teams. Dwight was saying how he was told Gibbs will leave no stone unturned and how different the team would be. He said he's just getting ready for the opener.

What a difference a Gibbs makes. I wonder if Dwight would even know that they opened against us if Gibbs wasnt' back.

Originally posted by skinsfn

them old tapes of Gibbs' teams. Dwight was saying how he was told Gibbs will leave no stone unturned and how different the team would be. He said he's just getting ready for the opener.

What a difference a Gibbs makes. I wonder if Dwight would even know that they opened against us if Gibbs wasnt' back.

That's interesting.

If Gibbs wasn't back I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be worried about us at this stage of the game. Nice to see some respect coming back our way.

What is interesting is we are going to see the best from all teams. They will be so intimidated by the Joe Gibbs legacy, that you can count on them being as prepared as possible and being sky high for the games. Now the question is how do our players respond now that we will be getting the other teams best shot.

one thing i remember vividly from Gibbs first term here was a quote about how his offense had so many formations that teams spent much of their practice time on defending plays that would never even be called. i don't know if we will beat Tampa but looking at old film will not help a lot. Joe will evolve and change.

Originally posted by afparent

What is interesting is we are going to see the best from all teams. They will be so intimidated by the Joe Gibbs legacy, that you can count on them being as prepared as possible and being sky high for the games. Now the question is how do our players respond now that we will be getting the other teams best shot.

I think by and large, you see the best a team can offer every week. And 'best' is often determined by the coaching staff. I understand your point, but what I think your missing is that Gibbs' 'best' is better than anything the Skins have had since he was here; so to me this is more about how the Skins will prepare and their 'best', rather than about now having to see other teams really take the Skins seriously.

No matter the opponent, if you don't take a team seriously and give your 'best shot' every week you're in trouble. What this blip on Gruden tells me is that no longer will teams carry in that ****iness against the Skins, a sense that truly, they are better than the Skins; and attitude counts for a lot. Why do you think the Bucs sucked so bad back in the 70's? A lot of that was how they were perceived by their opponents.

I saw the interview as well. And yeah, it was very nice to hear someone talk about the skins as a real opponent. He did go on a bit about how Gibbs would be prepared for anything and everything. He also said he hoped the Skins won't run up the score on them. That made me chuckle a little.

Originally posted by Awesome

I think by and large, you see the best a team can offer every week. And 'best' is often determined by the coaching staff. I understand your point, but what I think your missing is that Gibbs' 'best' is better than anything the Skins have had since he was here; so to me this is more about how the Skins will prepare and their 'best', rather than about now having to see other teams really take the Skins seriously.

No matter the opponent, if you don't take a team seriously and give your 'best shot' every week you're in trouble. What this blip on Gruden tells me is that no longer will teams carry in that ****iness against the Skins, a sense that truly, they are better than the Skins; and attitude counts for a lot. Why do you think the Bucs sucked so bad back in the 70's? A lot of that was how they were perceived by their opponents.

Understand, I am not questioning Gibbs. He has been in enough big games. I am just wondering about the players. Can they rise to the ocassion. How many playoff caliber games have these guy played in. I am sure gibbs and co will have them ready though

I think we have a great advantage here against the Bucs, in that all they can look at is ten year old game tape of Gibbs' teams.

Knowing Gibbs, he will have something new in his gameplan that the Bucs aren't prepared for and we will get a big play off of it.

Man, I can't wait for the season to start.

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

I think we have a great advantage here against the Bucs, in that all they can look at is ten year old game tape of Gibbs' teams.

Knowing Gibbs, he will have something new in his gameplan that the Bucs aren't prepared for and we will get a big play off of it.

Man, I can't wait for the season to start.

Don't forget, Gibbs said he has been looking at film from the first eight opponents as well. If I am opposing the skins I certainly wouldn't look at last years offense. There is a big difference in philosphy and results between Joe Gibbs offense and SS.

First and foremost .... One of the first things Gibbs did after assembling his coach staff (I'll bet he did this even as he was assembling his staff) was to play X's and O's against the defensive coaches because he wanted to see if his old system and understanding would work with today's defenses. All the tapes that Gruden and other teams have on Gibbs is how we handled the old defenses where teams didn't hover all over the line of scrimmage. Where the Secondary played back instead of pressing receivers at the line of scrimmage. They will be in for a huge wake up call. And Tampa will be first because they won't have any new footage aside from preseason.

Gibbs' system will have evolved. Teams had more info on Spurrier because of his college footage from years prior to joining the Redskins. Much less clue as to what Gibbs will do.

The other thing about Gibbs is that he usually has several key bread and butter plays that he works through volumes of different looks and formations. Throughout the 80's he used to say that we had essentially 4 running plays, but different guys and packages would run and execute the plays.

Gruden is a class act coach, who grew up in the NFC East and knows and respects Joe Gibbs football.
Gruden is a good football coach, but is not a class act. He's a pompous azz who will once again prove that a coach can not always be the GM too.

Gruden was one of those who said he had no doubt in Joe Gibbs abilities. - called him Mick Jagger I think.

Even though Gruden runs a west coast offense, he, like Gibbs, steals little things from other teams and incorporates them into his offense, like alot of motion and shifting and a lot of bootleg/roll-out type plays.

Originally posted by Morning Wood

I saw the interview as well. And yeah, it was very nice to hear someone talk about the skins as a real opponent. He did go on a bit about how Gibbs would be prepared for anything and everything. He also said he hoped the Skins won't run up the score on them. That made me chuckle a little.

**Thinking about running the score up on TB gives me morning wood, 11:00pm at night..:point2sky

Originally posted by ntotoro

I thought Gibbs had been away too long and his game had become outdated... ? Why suddenly are teams preparing so seriously for him... :laugh: :logo: :helmet:

Nick

All that Gibbs has been away too long talk was mustered up by the media, not the coaches around the league that will have to face his team this year.

Frankly,

It's the critics that think Joe Gibbs is old and his system outdated or whatever. The coaches in the NFL have the utmost respect for Gibbs and will prepare their teams to play accordingly. That's why the NFC East is getting a little wiser now,IMO.

Teams in the NFC East are aware that Gibbs will have the Redskins ready to play football and their loading their guns as well. Maybe it's just my assumption, but that's one of the reasons Parcells brought in Testaverde. Parcells is also from the old school and understand the importance of veteran leadership and smart football players. Without Gibbs running the asylum, Parcells could care less about who the skins had with guys like Spurrier running the show.

Now! it's get some veteran players in here to play the QB position. Eventhough Vinny may not start, it's a possibilty he may if Quincy start making poor decisions and bone headed plays.

The same with the eagles. Those guys went all out and got some help to win the NFC East and hopefully get to the Superbowl. I gurantee you that Gruden's not the only one whipping out film on some of Joe Gibbs old teams. Someone go check out and see what Parcells and Andy Reid is doing with their free time.:laugh:

Originally posted by milliondollarslim

one thing i remember vividly from Gibbs first term here was a quote about how his offense had so many formations that teams spent much of their practice time on defending plays that would never even be called. i don't know if we will beat Tampa but looking at old film will not help a lot. Joe will evolve and change.

Definately he will. His offense was probably a lot different than it will be this go around. Now a lot of defenses put much more pressure and don't bother reading and reacting as much. All that movement at the line may just be window dressing that teams of today would just ignore.

it may be window dressing that gets ignored but the best way to beat the blitz is to run the ball. We have good run blockers now with Rasby, Jansen and the rest of our pickups. I don't see it being an issue as much. Bugel uses zone blocking schemes just like Denver uses so we should be pretty set.

Archived