Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D. Gardener Done????

MAATopDogg

GARDENER PERMANENTLY PLANTED?

A league source tells us that the Bengals haven't finalized a widely-reported contract with free-agent defensive tackle Daryl Gardener because the contract won't be finalized. Ever.

Per the source, Gardener's chronic back problems have prompted the Bengals to back off on their interest in the former first-round draft pick, whose back troubles initially greased the skids toward an abrupt and unexpected divorce two seasons ago in Miami.

Then came a one-year visit to D.C., which Gardener parlayed via good behavior and effective play into a long-term, big-money contract with the Broncos. In Denver, however, Gardener's career hit a low point, thanks in large part to a street brawl at an IHOP parking lot and a pissing match with coach Mike Shanahan. A grievance filed by the team to recover much of his signing bonus was resolved with an agreement that he'd be released on June 1.

After the arrangement was announced, the Bengals (with permission) reached a tentative agreement with Gardener, to be consummated after June 1. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was the defensive coordinator in Washington during Gardener's comeback season, and Lewis believed that he could manage Gardener's reputation for being a deep-fried turd.

But nearly three weeks later, nothing has happened. There have been rumblings from guys like Tony Williams regarding the question of whether the Bengals need Gardener's services. The real issue, though, is the condition of his back.

We're told that, in the end, nothing will happen, due to Gardener's health. And it likely means the end of the line for Gardener, whose only hope might be to sign a one-year deal for the veteran minimum in order to prove that he's healthy.

After the arrangement was announced, the Bengals (with permission) reached a tentative agreement with Gardener, to be consummated after June 1. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was the defensive coordinator in Washington during Gardener's comeback season, and Lewis believed that he could manage Gardener's reputation for being a deep-fried turd.

That made me giggle... :laugh:

Nick

Originally posted by ShonyX

Ew! ew! I'll take this one!

Let's sign him to a vet minimum contract with incentives.:doh:

Worked once, why not try it again? I think Gardener is a good stop gap measure, not a long-term solution, but then again this is the Redskin's DL, and we haven't had a long-term solution in years!

Originally posted by Griff

Unless he had a sit-down with Coach Gibbs, I don't see him being the "character guy", Gibbs looks for.

Make him our Dexter in 05:cheers: If we could get this guy for cheap we dont think twice he never bad mouthed snyder and was our F***ing defensive MVP just two years ago:D

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Make him our Dexter in 05:cheers: If we could get this guy for cheap we dont think twice he never bad mouthed snyder and was our F***ing defensive MVP just two years ago:D

What does that have to do with the values Joe Gibbs puts on CHARACTER??? Does punching someone in the parking lot of IHOP make up for not bad mouthing Snyder & being our,... as you so quaintly phrased it "our F***ing defensive MVP just two years ago"?

My point being, for Joe Gibbs it starts with Character, and everything else falls in line behind that.

Originally posted by Henry

At this point it sounds like he'd be nothing but a waste of a roster spot. And if we're just going to filling up space, I'd rather keep an extra TE or something.

I disagree! I believe this guy has a tremendous amount of unleashed potential. He is the animal we are looking for. Gibbs knows how to handle any type of player. Look at Riggo and Dexter! Sign him for two years at $750k with a $500 bonus. If he gets hurt O.K., it was worth a shot. His upside is too much to pass.

as questionable his character is, he did well for us one year, granted that was under lax Spurrier's day. However, are we really put in a worse position by signing him? Id personally rather take my chance on this guy than Ogunleye, Gardener will be much cheaper and id rather have him for one year, as we will rebuild our d-line even more next year anyways.

Originally posted by Griff

What does that have to do with the values Joe Gibbs puts on CHARACTER??? Does punching someone in the parking lot of IHOP make up for not bad mouthing Snyder & being our,... as you so quaintly phrased it "our F***ing defensive MVP just two years ago"?

My point being, for Joe Gibbs it starts with Character, and everything else falls in line behind that.

Did he cause any problems while here??????? If he signed to a incentive based small contract he can be released and used as and example. Face it we are going to be pretty bad against the run this one guy could instantly solve that

:)

Did he cause any problems while here??????? If he signed to a incentive based small contract he can be released and used as and example. Face it we are going to be pretty bad against the run this one guy could instantly solve that

I totally agree with you that he could be a force for us if he stays healthy, and I personally am not opposed to signing him at all. I just think before that could happen he would have to sit with Joe Gibbs and make sure they are on the same page. Coach Gibbs puts so much on Character, and he would have to clear up the "media-sided reports", about his IHOP situation and his negative remarks about his head coach.

Originally posted by TLusby

I disagree! I believe this guy has a tremendous amount of unleashed potential. He is the animal we are looking for. Gibbs knows how to handle any type of player. Look at Riggo and Dexter! Sign him for two years at $750k with a $500 bonus. If he gets hurt O.K., it was worth a shot. His upside is too much to pass.

The guy can't pass a physical. I don't care how good his potential once was. If he can't even take the field any more he's a waste of a roster spot no matter what you pay him.

I would not oppose signing him to a minimal deal. After all he's no Darrell Russell-Date Rape Drug/almost convicted felon. Or Kenyatta Walker(still on team)-assault with intent to injure-pouring scolding water on his girlfriend. D. Gardener incident was a non crimnal act & went to the wrong team. I rather have him than D. Russell. Although one thing does concern me about him being on the Balco list though. I wonder if he was roided up when he played for us???

I bet you wouldnt say that about Noble:shhh:

Of course I would. Last I heard Noble was actually on the field. If it turns out he can't play after all I'd expect him to be released and given an injury settlement so we could pick someone else up.

With the additions of Griffin, Daniels, Taylor, Washington, Barrow, and perhaps Noble, I think we will be decent against the run.

too often over the past several years the Redskins have gone fishing in a polluted pond :(

Gibbs has steered clear of head cases so far this offseason and I expect that trend to continue.

Gardener is over 30, has chronic injury problems and obviously has no self control off the field.

We don't need Gardener, just like we didn't need Dalton or Russell last year.

We need guys who are healthy and in-shape and ready to play :)

Archived