Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another meteor impact!!!

Buddha

We're DOOMED I say! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grapefruit-sized meteorite strikes house

'It was like a bomb had gone off'

Sunday, June 13, 2004 Posted: 5:54 AM EDT (0954 GMT)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Reuters) -- A grapefruit-sized meteorite smashed through the roof of a New Zealand house, hitting a couch and bouncing off the ceiling before coming to rest under a computer.

The 1.3 kg (2.9 lb) chunk of space debris dropped out of the sky and plummeted through the tiled roof of the Auckland home on Saturday.

"I was in the kitchen doing breakfast and there was this almighty explosion," owner Brenda Archer told the Sunday Star-Times newspaper.

"It was like a bomb had gone off. I couldn't see anything, there was just dust."

Archer's one-year-old grandson had been playing nearby minutes before it hit.

It is only the ninth meteorite found in New Zealand and the first to hit a home.

The Archers, who are following expert advice by drying the rock out in their oven, plan to sell it or give it to a museum.

Experts believe the meteorite, a chunk of an asteroid, could be worth more than NZ$10,000 ($6,290), the newspaper said.

Check this out. Found it in my yard one day a few years ago. It's definately not a rock from earth. A few days, maybe even a week before I found it, I thought I saw a flash or something in my backyard. Didn't think anything of it at all at the time, though I do remember saying something like "What was that?"

Found this,

Remembered the flash,

Put two and two together,

Kept it for years,

Looking for money now.

Originally posted by Skins24

Check this out. Found it in my yard one day a few years ago. It's definately not a rock from earth. A few days, maybe even a week before I found it, I thought I saw a flash or something in my backyard. Didn't think anything of it at all at the time, though I do remember saying something like "What was that?"

Found this,

Remembered the flash,

Put two and two together,

Kept it for years,

Looking for money now.

Hate to break your heart, but it is an earth rock, a cool one but from earth :D

Originally posted by jbooma

Hate to break your heart, but it is an earth rock, a cool one but from earth :D

From where?

Last time I checked there weren't any active volcanoes in this area, and that's the only other place where you'd find a rock that would resemble anything like this.

Besides, rocks usually don't just appear out of no where like this one did.

Originally posted by Blondie

A news report last night showed it sitting on the couch.

Large piece. Can you even imagine if someone had been sitting on that couch?

Wonder what part of home owners insurance covers this?

;)

Blondie

Act of God Clause :whoknows:

Archived