Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honeymoon advice...

J33Edwards

Originally posted by J33Edwards

thanks for all the help, I appreciate it...i will sort through these responses and try to figure something out that we will enjoy.

That is the key!!! Remember everyone has a different ideal about how to spend their honeymoon. My wife and I wanted to relax and explore and just have a great time, we didn't care about being around a lot of other honeymooners.

Originally posted by section 226

My fiancee and I are looking into going to Atlantis on Paradise Island. Has anyone ever been there? We are getting married in September. Any input would be appreciated.

Read my trip report. It's outrageously expensive and there are a lot of kids. I went to Sandals right down the street from Nassau last year and had a blast. If you really want to go, I'd suggest staying at Atlantis for a night or two, then going to Sandals.

Typical rooms (decient size and not like a closet) at Atlantis start at $500 and food and drinks are way overpriced. It's definately a cool place, but unless you have an unlimited budget, I think there are better values for the money.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

If your marriage ends up anything like mine, all I can say is enjoy the honeymoon, cuz it will be the last time you ever have sex... unless you catch her in a good mood on your birthday.

that is sad and I pray you are kidding :(

Seriously, go to ARUBA.

Aruba... Aruba.

Gorgeous.

What kind of food do you feed your wife to keep her from having sex?

Wedding cake!

(Its a joke for a reason folks...)

Know why the bride smiles when she walks down the aisle?

She knows she's given her last BJ.

Aruba?

Dude, a trip to St. John will make you forget how to spell Aruba. Granted, the people in Aruba are extremely friendly, but the topography can't hold a candle to St. John. Besides, it's so damn windy in Aruba you have to carry nails with you just to keep your hat on your head. It also makes lying out on the beach pretty near impossible unless you enjoy being encrusted by a layer of sand.

As for diving? Well, let's just say that most serious divers who find themselves in Aruba wind up on a puddle jumper to Bonaire.

Originally posted by jbooma

Which one is cheapier? Just curious :D

Kind of hard to say in an apples to apples comparison. There are only two resorts on St. John and both are a bit on the pricey side. Given that Aruba has far more hotels (much bigger island) a room-to-room comparison will reveal that Aruba is cheaper.

The way to do St. John though is by renting a villa. To drive down the costs you should plan on going with other people. Next month I'm renting a 3 bedroom 3 bath villa which sleeps 8 for around $2000. You divide that cost by 7 people and it gets pretty darn cheap. Plus the villa has a private pool and jacuzzi with a view of the Caribbean Sea and other islands. Prices on villas range from around $1200 per week up to $20,000 per week. Off season (April - Nov) is cheaper by about 30 %. I usually stay in the $2000 range. Although I met this lady on the Internet a couple of years ago who has let me rent her timeshare the last two years for $1000 /wk (during Christmas week which is when the villa rates are the highest).

Airfare to St. Thomas (you fly into St. Thomas and catch a 20 minute ferry ride to St. John) varies depending on your departure city. Living in Orlando means I get reemed every time I go down. For instance, right now you can fly to St. Thomas from Philly for around $225 r/t. Yet it'll cost you near $500 r/t to fly out of Orlando despite being a shorter flight. Supply and demand I guess.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

If your marriage ends up anything like mine, all I can say is enjoy the honeymoon, cuz it will be the last time you ever have sex... unless you catch her in a good mood on your birthday.

:laugh:

That's why I'm not married!!! I've been "dating" the same girl for 11 years and we've lived together for 9. We currently own a house and have NO plans on getting married. The tax breaks alone can justify our staying single!

Originally posted by TheKurp

Next month I'm renting a 3 bedroom 3 bath villa which sleeps 8 for around $2000. You divide that cost by 7 people and it gets pretty darn cheap.

I'm just curious about your math. 3 bedrooms with 7 or 8 people, are there kids coming with you or will there be some menage-a-trois happening?

Originally posted by China

I'm just curious about your math. 3 bedrooms with 7 or 8 people, are there kids coming with you or will there be some menage-a-trois happening?

Two of the three bedrooms have 2 queen beds each. The third bedroomm has a king bed. There's also a queen-size sleeper sofa so in reality you could sleep more than 8.

Granted, the accomodations are "Real World" style if you go with a group the size I usually travel with. However with only a couple of exceptions, the trips have been conflict free because I hang with a bunch of relaxed people who get along with each other.

I know, given my rather obnoxious and abrasive online personality it's hard to believe I could find 6 people to get along with me, much less want to spend a week's vacation with me. :)

Originally posted by section 226

My fiancee and I are looking into going to Atlantis on Paradise Island. Has anyone ever been there? We are getting married in September. Any input would be appreciated.

A co-worker went there about 3 months ago, and said it was killer. For me,I would stay away from the Bahamas in sept. It's the tail end of huricane season for the atlantic, and you don't want to even be there for a tropical storm.

Two of the three bedrooms have 2 queen beds each. The third bedroomm has a king bed. There's also a queen-size sleeper sofa so in reality you could sleep more than 8.

Granted, the accomodations are "Real World" style if you go with a group the size I usually travel with. However with only a couple of exceptions, the trips have been conflict free because I hang with a bunch of relaxed people who get along with each other.

I know, given my rather obnoxious and abrasive online personality it's hard to believe I could find 6 people to get along with me, much less want to spend a week's vacation with me. :)

Kurp, have you ever done the villa rental in Jamaica? Just wondering because you get the maid staff, cook and chauffeur with those villas.

Actually, if I ever DO end up getting married, I'm going to have a massive bash here. . .

30K for 16 people, it would be the ULTIMATE wedding.

http://www.caribbeanway.com/villa-page/ind/105385.asp

Never been to Jamaica Chomerics. I guess I can't get past the perception, deserved or not, of it being a crime-ridden destination. I know that in Ocho Rios and Negril it's less so, but they still have the properties surrounded by fences and watched by armed guards.

Never been to Jamaica Chomerics. I guess I can't get past the perception, deserved or not, of it being a crime-ridden destination. I know that in Ocho Rios and Negril it's less so, but they still have the properties surrounded by fences and watched by armed guards.

Yea, I know what you mean, I've been to Mo Bay before. Jamaica is probably the grandest island of the caribbean, but it's also the most crime ridden. As long as you stay within the bounds, you're fine, but I wouldn't go walking down the streets of Mo Bay by myself.

I still love the culture and the people there. There's almost a cultural transformation that goes on when you step off the plane. It's "No problem mon", such a great place. Unfortunately, the government doesn't have the resources to sustain it's population, so the country is riddled in poverty. It's really a shame, because it's such a beautiful country.

• 2 months later...

I am 25. My wife and I went to sandals for our honeymoon. We had a great time. It is also really helpfull to be in a place like that if you haven/t travelled. If you ignore the staff (which isn't hard) and do your own thing it can be a lot of fun.

Archived