Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why didnt we go after Wiley?

He was like that last year with the Chargers.

If you've watched his production plummet over the last few seasons, you probably wouldn't be asking this question.

Additionally, Michael Westbrook was the most gracious of all the Redskins I've met personally - the point being nice off the field doesn't always equal good on the field.

Additionally, Michael Westbrook was the most gracious of all the Redskins I've met personally - the point being nice off the field doesn't always equal good on the field.

Threw a curve ball with the non-sequitur, but I'll respond. Mike used to come into my friend's hobby shop every week trying to return things he broke because he couldn't use them. Things like $1000 remote control helicopters that require some skill to fly. He was pushy and everybody who worked there hated him. They finally kept taking other customers ahead of him until he got the message and stopped coming. I also heard that he started his black Lamborghini in gear at the car dealership and smashed another guy's Lotus. He blamed it on the dealership and raised holy hell until they fixed the damage. Nice guy. Yah.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Just saw him on NFL network and he seems to have his head on straight. The guy is a real good DE (our biggest weakness) and went to Dallas realativly cheap.

It's pretty simple.

Daniels is a better all around player at this point and we got Daniels for pretty cheap. Please bear in mind that our linebackers coach was Wiley's defensive coordinator in San Diego. Lindsay obviously didn't think as highly of Wiley as Greg Blanche thought of Daniels as Blanche was Daniels' defensive coordinator in Chicago.

In a recent comparison done by the War Room (not a group I really like very much) at The Sporting News, they rated Daniels far above Wiley who they had as a very weak player. Wiley has had a couple of nice seasons, but, Daniels has been a more consistent, versatile starter in the league for a longer stretch.

We've acquired a lot of free agents that our coaches know. We had a choice between going for Daniels and Wiley and we went right to Daniels. It tells you a lot about what his former coach thought of him and that thinking is echoed by former NFL scouts who are part of the War Room.

Daniels probably lacks the top end ability to put pressure on the QB as Wiley may be able to have. But, we pretty clearly had a couple of guys we knew very well because of who's on our staff, and we went for Daniels. I'd trust that opinion until you have a reason not to.

Originally posted by Art

It's pretty simple.

Daniels is a better all around player at this point and we got Daniels for pretty cheap. Please bear in mind that our linebackers coach was Wiley's defensive coordinator in San Diego. Lindsay obviously didn't think as highly of Wiley as Greg Blanche thought of Daniels as Blanche was Daniels' defensive coordinator in Chicago.

In a recent comparison done by the War Room (not a group I really like very much) at The Sporting News, they rated Daniels far above Wiley who they had as a very weak player. Wiley has had a couple of nice seasons, but, Daniels has been a more consistent, versatile starter in the league for a longer stretch.

We've acquired a lot of free agents that our coaches know. We had a choice between going for Daniels and Wiley and we went right to Daniels. It tells you a lot about what his former coach thought of him and that thinking is echoed by former NFL scouts who are part of the War Room.

Daniels probably lacks the top end ability to put pressure on the QB as Wiley may be able to have. But, we pretty clearly had a couple of guys we knew very well because of who's on our staff, and we went for Daniels. I'd trust that opinion until you have a reason not to.

Good stuff Art (once again)! Wiley is a player with a "name" and I am tired of "named" players.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

heh, its as my roommate used to say, "Snyder just goes after people whose names hes heard of... Bruce Smith, Mark Carrier, Ive heard of them, so im gonna sign them". Though now my roommate would agree this offseason Snyder did better.

Originally posted by flashback

Wiley also hit the market after the initial wave of FA signings. Wiley may not have been available when the Skins signed Daniels.

This is certainly true to a degree. He was released two days into free agency, on March 3. Daniels was in the fold a day earlier. The fact that most folks knew Wiley was going to be cut and the timing was pretty quick could have given the Skins reason to wait for him if they felt he was beneficial. Also remember, the Skins have had other ends in -- like Kenny Holmes, another guy we have personal knowledge of with Williams -- but showed no interest in Wiley in the slightest.

Wiley was on the market for nine or 10 days before getting in with Dallas. We didn't even invite him for a look. As a courtesy you'd think his former coordinator would have had him in to say hi and see if he could have been had dirt cheap or something. But, that didn't happen. Some mild behind the scenes conversations I've heard several people removed is that Wiley, like Trotter and Arrington for us, often failed to play the system trying to boost his own performance. Meanwhile, Daniels hurt his individual performance by playing his role and that's why Blanche wanted him. May be no truth to that. But, seems fairly reasonable considering the situation.

Originally posted by Art

It's pretty simple.

Art,

Im not going to sit here and argue who the better DE is at this point, but Ill leave it at this to make it interesting.

How bout a little friendly wager on who has more sacks this season.

Of course, I'll take Wiley and you can have Daniels.

Let me know.

HHM

Originally posted by The Dark Horse

He was like that last year with the Chargers.

If you've watched his production plummet over the last few seasons, you probably wouldn't be asking this question.

Production plummet! It didn't stop the front office from signing Phillip Daniels and his production the last two years is worse. So let's not use that as an excuse.

i think it was because Daniels is the less flashy player who fits in better with the Joe Gibbs type players. Wiley has a much bigger personality and perhaps Coach Lindsey told the decision makers that his presence could only hurt the team

Not that either of these players are Superstars but Stevie Wonder can see that Wiley is the better of these 2 players. I'm not as pissed at them not getting Wiley as I am at taking Griffin over Sapp, Ted Washington and Darell Russell and Norman Hand. Especially Russell and Norman Hand. There was no risk in taking them. They both only received minimum contracts of $600,000.00. All these D-Tackles compare with Griffin. But as stated in other threads by others they think Griffins so called athelticism warrants an 8 mill signing bonus. Thats bull.

Originally posted by johnyquest

you wanna know why we didn't go after him? CHARACTER issues

He's been on MTV than NFL highlight reels the last few years..

That is exactly what I think also, he did an interview on the NFL Network saying how he had a black book full of his groupies and how they come to his hotel rooms. He IS NOT a Joe Gibbs type player, it may well go beyond that, but I guarantee you that is the very first thing Gibbs looks at.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

Art,

Im not going to sit here and argue who the better DE is at this point, but Ill leave it at this to make it interesting.

How bout a little friendly wager on who has more sacks this season.

Of course, I'll take Wiley and you can have Daniels.

Let me know.

HHM

It certainly wouldn't surprise me for Wiley to have more total sacks than Daniels as he's been a bit better at that generally, and Daniels will be pushed inside somewhat frequently limiting some of his opportunities. But, as having a small number more sacks is not really a reflection of overall skill, such a bet would not suit the purposes of the topic I wouldn't think.

It is a far more subjective thing to determine which player is superior based on the totality of a situation. All we know from a factual standpoint is Wiley's former defensive coordinator didn't want him, but Daniel's former defensive coordinator did want him. That says a lot about the job they each did within the scheme they were asked to play.

It says more that we were looking more seriously at Kenny Holmes -- another guy we know well -- than we were Wiley. That lets all of us know how those who know him best view him. And at this moment in time, that's pretty much the definitive answer to the question of which player is better.

Originally posted by Old Glory

If Wiley can play well under Parcells then that shows that he was good enough for us to get him as well.

Man we need more upgrades in the D-line. Still one of the worse in the NFL.

Good point.

And Art,

Agreed that if the Skins wanted Wiley, they surely wouldve waited for him and went after him.

However, a great majority of Skins fans desired Winfield too and you ended up with Springs.

You used the same logic in terms of former coaches there. And it is understandable that you respect and support the coaches decisions as they, of course, know better then you or I.

Nevertheless, if I were a Skins fan, I'd prefer Winfield and Wiley over Springs and Daniels, even if the coaches didnt.

I guess only time will tell. But I look forward to seeing how both moves work out.

Originally posted by Art

It is a far more subjective thing to determine which player is superior based on the totality of a situation. All we know from a factual standpoint is Wiley's former defensive coordinator didn't want him, but Daniel's former defensive coordinator did want him. That says a lot about the job they each did within the scheme they were asked to play.

C'mon Art, how could you possibly know this as fact? Were you in on the discussions? Contrary to what you like to believe, every player the skins sign is NOT better than the others available. If that were the case, you guys would have won the last five or six superbowls running away. Maybe both guys were pulling for their guys. Maybe not. We as fans can't possibly know this. Afterall, Daniels was already in the fold before Wiley hit the market. And *gasp* could it be possible that a phone call was made and he (Wiley) said he wasn't interested? Another thing we will never know.

It says more that we were looking more seriously at Kenny Holmes -- another guy we know well -- than we were Wiley. That lets all of us know how those who know him best view him.
See above
And at this moment in time, that's pretty much the definitive answer to the question of which player is better.

Yeah, right. Kind of like how every offseason, the skins are clearly the better team over the Cowboys. There is only one thing that we as fans know for SURE going into this season. The skins play their home games northeast of where Dallas plays theirs.

Archived