Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

E3 - Best Sports Game=ESPN 2005

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6098994/p-16.html

ESPN NFL 2005 got the award for best sports game at E3...check it out

With Microsoft, Sony, and Midway ducking out of the football game this year, it's basically down to just EA and Sega when it comes to NFL titles. Both companies had extremely impressive showings at E3 2004 with Madden NFL 2005 and ESPN NFL 2005 respectively, but obviously, we couldn't pick both to be our top sports game of the show. Both games had new gameplay features--such as Madden's hit stick and ESPN's total control tackling--both featured improvements to their respective franchise modes, and both featured upgrades to their online functionality. However, when it comes right down to it, ESPN NFL's upgrades to these features, as well as its several other, additional features, made it the clear winner.

Don't be afraid of CG Chris Berman; he won't hurt you.

From a gameplay perspective, our time spent playing ESPN NFL 2005 at E3 gave us the impression that aside from the new tackling abilities, there wasn't much more going on than some incremental upgrades. What really impressed us though were the sheer number of new features in the game. The coolest of these new features was the new VIP profile system. Once you create a profile in ESPN NFL 2005, the game will begin tracking everything about how you play, from how often you run versus how often you pass, to little details like how often you call defensive audibles. While this is merely a neat idea if it were simply tied down to your console, in actuality, you'll have the ability to transfer your profile to your friends' consoles or upload it online, letting other people view your statistical data. Not only that, but if your friends decide they want to learn how to play better against you, they can load up a one-player match against the computer and have the computer use your profile, which will in turn have the CPU play exactly like you. Spooky, but very cool.

You can just about see the strain in Carson Palmer's face.

There are plenty of other awesome things we saw in ESPN NFL 2005 that we could rave about, such as the new online league system, franchise upgrades, new crib unlockables, and added ESPN personalities. However, the point is not to simply regurgitate what we've already written about the game, but to tell you why this was the best sports game we saw at the show. Frankly, ESPN NFL 2005 showed us the most in terms of depth and presentation, and it proved to be just as fun as its most recent predecessors, if not more so. If that's not enough reason to call it the clear-cut winner, then nothing is.

It won best Football game last year too if I'm not mistaken. Before it is all over this thread will be flooded with Maddenites stating how sorry ESPN Football is and posting another poll. This was a great article. I am pre-ordering my copy form Sega in June. I hope to see as many extremeskins xbox-livers as possible.

last year i dont know about espn winning that but i know that Madden won video game of the year though.

http://www.easports.com/articles/04a/vgawinners.jsp

And i am a madden guy, but i will give espn its props, i dont know abotu game play, but the presentation this year will kick ass, the whole draft thing with the mad up faces will be off the chain.

Originally posted by skinzfan4life

last year i dont know about espn winning that but i know that Madden won video game of the year though.

http://www.easports.com/articles/04a/vgawinners.jsp

Uhm, yea, the Spike TV VGA's were worthless trash, and the winners seemed to be picked either by a blind monkey or by whatever company bought the most ad time on Spike.

As for last year, Tony Hawk Underground won best sports game. There is no "Best Football Game" award.

http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/past.html

Madden has not won since 1999, ESPN/NFL2k last won in 2002. These pre-release awards messure hype more than anything else, and Sega has done a good job hyping these games the past 2 years.

From a gameplay perspective, our time spent playing ESPN NFL 2005 at E3 gave us the impression that aside from the new tackling abilities, there wasn't much more going on than some incremental upgrades.

and the coolest new feature won't affect me...I'm still planning on buying Madden but I will probably rent them both first.

It presents itself well, it always has, it is very realistic and seems like your actually watching sunday night football when the game starts and during other pauses in the game.

But I still would rather play madden, I dont like the way ESPN plays. I dont like the way the players look and I dont like the way the game plays.

ign also said espn was better then madden. madden fans are just walking around with their fingers in their ears and their eyes closed. not to mention their heads up their arsses

Or we just have seen this exact thing before and know that when the games come out what will end up being more fun. Which would most likely be madden. With all the talk last year I went out and bought ESPN after a while, I quickly returned it a few days later b/c they hadnt changed their gameplay and their players still looked like out of control, unproportional robots, and it still played like NFL Blitz.

I also form my own opinion on what I like, and I dont like IGN do it for me.

Archived