Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was The Cooley Trade A Trick?

JoeSkins

the league doesn't approve a trade until the availability of the pick(s) in question has been determined :)

interestingly, our own George Allen was caught trying to trade a draft pick he had ALREADY traded back in 1974 :laugh:

he was also accused of tampering with Dave Butz in 1975 before he became a free agent, and the Redskins had to surrender two #1 picks and a #2 pick for Butz as punishment from the league office.

Originally posted by bulldog

the league doesn't approve a trade until the availability of the pick(s) in question has been determined :)

interestingly, our own George Allen was caught trying to trade a draft pick he had ALREADY traded back in 1974 :laugh:

he was also accused of tampering with Dave Butz in 1975 before he became a free agent, and the Redskins had to surrender two #1 picks and a #2 pick for Butz as punishment from the league office.

It was certainly worth it, though. :D

Originally posted by Art

Joe,

We swapped fifth round picks in this draft with New Orleans while giving them our second rounder next year for rights to draft Cooley.

Thanks. I figure that says three things about the team, while I'm on this:

1-Gibbs doesn't plan on staying around too long. He's old, and I'm sure he won't be sticking around the full five years, since he still is willing to dump picks so quickly.

2-Our team doesn't have too many holes that he sees. Aside from DE, I personally don't feel too worried about any position. H-Back was the last position that really needed a person brought in specifically for that, and I suppose he'll work with Cooley and what we have now. Think of it, we don't need RBs, WRs, QBs, OL, LBs, or DBs. Special teams is covered as well. The only thing I worry about trading away a 2nd rounder is this; that pick could have been our starting MLB to replace Barrow in a year or two.

3-We are trying to win NOW, as usual.

Originally posted by JoeSkins

1-Gibbs doesn't plan on staying around too long. He's old, and I'm sure he won't be sticking around the full five years, since he still is willing to dump picks so quickly.

2-Our team doesn't have too many holes that he sees. Aside from DE, I personally don't feel too worried about any position. H-Back was the last position that really needed a person brought in specifically for that, and I suppose he'll work with Cooley and what we have now. Think of it, we don't need RBs, WRs, QBs, OL, LBs, or DBs. Special teams is covered as well. The only thing I worry about trading away a 2nd rounder is this; that pick could have been our starting MLB to replace Barrow in a year or two.

I, for one, hope the first of these 3 points isn't true. I think what the Skins have been suffering from the last few years has been a lack of continuity and if Gibbs was brought in just for a year or two, in the long run, it will be detrimental to the teams well being. We need STABILITY. If he was planning on staying less than 5 years, then I would've rather us hired someone else.

Of course, that beats the alternative, aptly demonstrated for us by Steve Spurrier, of trying to LOSE now :laugh:

Although I hear he made major gains on his bunker shots and fairway woods, so it wasn't a complete loss ;)

Um, that doesn't mean much either. Coach Gibbs use to always trade draft picks for proven talent, or for just anyone he really wanted.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Of course, that beats the alternative, aptly demonstrated for us by Steve Spurrier, of trying to LOSE now :laugh:

Although I hear he made major gains on his bunker shots and fairway woods, so it wasn't a complete loss ;)

Tarhog,

I agree that Gibbs is a vast improvement over the Spurrier gang, but I think we would be short-changing this franchise in the long run to have him here for just 2-3 years and then out. We showed we didn't have a good plan post-Gibbs the first time he retired, what makes you think we'll have one now? I will remain cautiously optimistic until I see stability within the coaching ranks that allow our talent to reach its true potential, and keep us diehard fans from developing ulcers.

Originally posted by silent1903

Gibbs has very recently gone on record to say that he fully intends to see out the full length of his contract - does anyone have reason to still believe that Gibbs intends to quit after 2 or 3 years?

From time to time there are those on this board that believe that due to his age, Gibbs won't last or want to last more than 2-3yrs.

1. I disagree. I think he'll stay the whole five years.

2. I would agree. I think we have a very solid team. That's where Gibbs excels...research. Researching his team, other teams, etc. to find holes to either exploit them or fix them.

3. Of course he wants to win now! Who doesn't?!? If he creates a winning team, players are going to want to come and play for Washington! We can finnagle our roster and cap space later. Anyway you slice it, either if they build the team for now or later, they are doing it to win a Superbowl. I certainly don't think Gibbs, when he retires, will leave the team in disarray. He will leave the team a lot better than when he came in.

We are fine, drink the tap water and enjoy the Now instead of the later.

What you dont think we can develop a young Clifton Smith or someone to replace the vets?

Heck I still believe given a chance that Ade Jimoh can become a very good backup safety or dime corner

Archived