Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Cowboys may look at ex-Giants QB Collins

bubba9497

Cowboys may look at ex-Giants QB Collins

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon....16fb67a06.html

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLORStaff Writer / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The New York Giants released quarterback Kerry Collins on Wednesday. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he would be interested in talking to him.

"I think, for sure, you have to give that a look because we have a lot of respect for him," Jones told the New York Times. "He's beaten us more than we've beaten him. ... No organization would have more respect for him than us.

"We will keep all of our options open as all of the veteran quarterbacks become available with the idea that Quincy Carter is our starter, that Drew Henson needs time to adjust and we need a veteran mix there. That's not to say Chad Hutchinson won't get his shot."

Collins had the most successful year of his career in 2000 under Sean Payton, the Cowboys' current offensive coordinator. Collins passed for 3,610 yards with 22 touchdowns and 13 interceptions that year as he led the Giants to the Super Bowl.

The Giants deemed Collins expendable after they traded for Eli Manning, the first player selected in last weekend's NFL draft.

New York asked Collins, who passed for 3,110 yards with 13 touchdowns and 16 interceptions last season, to reduce his $7 million salary. When Collins declined, general manager Ernie Accorsi told the 31-year-old veteran that he probably would be cut.

Since the season ended, Jones has maintained that Carter is the Cowboys' starting quarterback.

Carter passed for 3,302 yards with 17 touchdowns and 21 interceptions last season as the Cowboys went 10-6 and advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

But the Cowboys traded a 2005 third-round draft pick for Drew Henson, who spent the last three seasons in the New York Yankees' minor league system after a stellar career at Michigan.

Hutchinson, last season's backup, is spending the spring in NFL Europe. Third-string quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee did not appear in a game last season.

One of the reasons the Cowboys have discussed adding a veteran backup is to ensure they give Henson time to develop and to give coach Bill Parcells options if Carter falters or is injured.

Hahahaha!!!!! They are gonna use up half of their roster spots on QBs. I'm sure Hutch is gone. But they are talking Testaverde, Collins. They have Carter. Some guy that was on the practice squad is "impressing" Bill. Maybe Parcells is finally losing his mind.

I agree, Collins is better than Carter. Hopefully, the Raiders express more interest and show more money. I think Collins would be a good fit for Parcell's ball control possession passing offense.

Collins, however, should go to the Raiders. I think he would have a better shot at starting in the long run.

It makes a lot of sense for them to sign him, unless they're really as high on Quincy Carter as they say. Personally I think Jerry Jones just has a hard on for the guy since he drafted him, and it's the only reason he hasn't been replaced in the starting lineup yet by a decent veteran free agent. Collins would fit the bill, although I think we'll still beat them down twice this year! :hammer:

The Cowpukes were going after Vinney Testeverde (spelling?) until it was announched last Monday that Collins was going to be released. Immediately, JJ turned his attention in Collins direction.

They want a veteran to bring Hensen along and in case QC (still on shakey ground)doesn't progress, they would have a solid backup.

I think Collins would improve the Dallas offense. There only remaining weakness would be at running back.

If this happens, it won't be good for the Skins.

I agree with chosen.

Jones is going to stay with Carter as long as he can. He is the one who drafted Carter and was ridiculed by others as having reached for him.

He still wants to show everyone it wasn't a reach. :rolleyes:

Collins wuld make a good fit in Dallas. But the fact that he may not be able to be the starter may keep him away.

Whichever. If he does go to Dallas, its an upgrade for them, but with Gibbs and Williams in D.C., it doesn't worry me. :)

Skins Guy

While Collins was a solid QB for the Giants and I'm thankful they had him, I'm not so sure Eli Manning can't at least duplicate his numbers fairly quickly. If you look at his career numbers and his overall record with the Giants, they weren't as impressive as you would think. He was only 35-33 as the Giants' starter. And for his career, he has more INT's than TD's.

I'm not saying Manning will do this his first year but after that, he will be at least a Kerry Collins and probably better.

http://www.giants.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=242040&right_include=/includes/eisens_archive_module.cfm (scroll to the bottom for his career numbers)

I don't know if it is a good or bad move for the Gmen to just throw away their season? Collins is good and would be scared to see him in Dallas. Bill is fixing that OL and if he can just sit there and throw he is dangerous. I predicted this the second Eli was a Giant. Surprised it happened so quick and they didn't even try to trade him for peanuts :)

even though i would hate to see Collins in cowboys uniform... i think it would be better than seeing K. Warner in dallas... most of these players that our rivals are going on or already have gotten already are not as bad as some of your guys want to believe... unfortunately we are not the only team improving ourselves in the division this offseason...

Collins would have a hard time in Big D

The main reason that Parcells started Carter last year was because of the lack of protection behind the Cowboys O-line, so he took advantage of Carter's mobility, mobility that Collins does not have

Originally posted by sjinhan

even though i would hate to see Collins in cowboys uniform... i think it would be better than seeing K. Warner in dallas... most of these players that our rivals are going on or already have gotten already are not as bad as some of your guys want to believe... unfortunately we are not the only team improving ourselves in the division this offseason...

I dunno man, I think Kurt Warner is done. His brain and his thumb are definitely messed up. If Warner was in a Dallas uniform on the field, it would be a replay of Aikman getting greeted by Lavar to the end of his career.

Also, I think Parcells would prefer a bigger armed QB that could throw the deep ball. Warner's strength is (was) his accuracy.

I'd hate to see Collins on the Cowboys. Sean Payton is the QB coach there and when he was OC of the Giants, that's when Collins was the most effective and took them to the Super Bowl. I could see the 'Boys picking him up and letting him keep Henson's seat warm for two years while he develops.

As a Cowboy fan, I'd love to see Collins in the silver 'n' blue, but I don't want to see 20-30 million dollar contract thrown at a 31 year old QB when the 'heir' is already on the roster, even if he's not 'apparent' yet. Let Collins sign an incentive-laden deal, and if he gets the job done, he gets his money.

With the changes to the Cowboys offense (Keyshawn, new RB, new OL, OL returning from injury), I think the offense might be even better suited to Collins strengths than it is to Carters. Collins is great at throwing to the spot where he knows his guy is going to be. He didn't even care if Toomer was covered, he just stuck it in there and gave his guy a chance. Carter's strength is... um...give me minute..........well, barking signals, I guess. But I really think Galloway was his favorite target, and he's gone.

In 2004, the Cowboys offense is going to be run first, run second, run third, and see if the officials will let you run some more. And if you absolutely cannot avoid it, throw a buttonhook to Keyshawn, but just once, and then back to running, dammit! If everything goes well, by the 9th game we'll work in slant to Bryant. I hear Parcells has Payton locked in an office at Valley Ranch working on a new offensive set with 8 offensive lineman and a tight end. OK, I'm out of control, but the point is, Bill wants to run the ball.

I'll go check the stats, but I think in games where Carter and Collins went head to head, Carter performed pretty well. I don't think the training camp competition is a fore-gone conclusion at any rate. If he wants a guaranteed starter type salary, he might have to talk to Cleveland or Miami.

Archived