Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browns interested in moving up from #7

Oldskool

Browns | Talking to Everyone to Move Up in Draft - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:07:08 -0700

Associated Press reports the Cleveland Browns are looking to move up in the NFL Draft. Currently sitting at No. 7 overall, the Browns have had preliminary trade conversations with each of the six teams - San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders, Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants, Washington Redskins and Detroit Lions - that pick above them in the first round. The Browns have also taken calls from teams that draft below them that are trying to move up in the draft.

Browns | Draft Needs - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:07:45 -0700

Associated Press reports the Cleveland Browns are looking to land a franchise offensive tackle, tight end and safety in the NFL Draft. The Browns, which pick No. 7 overall, are interested in trading up to land OT Robert Gallery (Iowa), TE Kellen Winslow Jr. (Miami, Fla.) or S Sean Taylor (Miami, Fla.) in the draft. All three players are expected to be gone when the Browns' current pick comes up.

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

Please check out my ultimate draft...that is listed in another thread....us trading with Cleveland is the first of two trades that will net us...many great players

We are in a win now mode, with Joe Gibbs being here for a short time. We all know how Gibbs feels about playing rookies, so netting a whole buch of players isn't his style, it would be great for building for the future, but I just don't see that happening.

If the scenario works out and Gallery sits their at #5, I definitely see the Redskins trading with Cleveland..... hopefully gaining their 2nd but more likely their 3rd.

Let Detroit make the decision for them... Winslow or Taylor.... or hit the jackpot if Detroit takes Jackson and Taylor/Winslow sit their at #7.

Options...Options..Options.

Originally posted by Griff

We are in a win now mode, with Joe Gibbs being here for a short time. We all know how Gibbs feels about playing rookies, so netting a whole buch of players isn't his style, it would be great for building for the future, but I just don't see that happening.

Wrong. Gibbs has stated that he wants to get younger and faster.

If Gibbs is half as smart as he used to be, then he's going to trade down and pick up some picks.

If he stays and selects Taylor then I then will know that Gibbs is a great coach but a terrible GM.

Good point Old Glory,

Gibbs has stated that the lower you go the more murky it gets in "who's better than who", because the numbers suggest their all about the same, just depends on the teams' needs.

See I knew it! Belichick, Parcells, Gibbs, Vermiel, Coughlin are in a different cookie cutter than Marty, and some others. They suggest using "their" way, no matter "WHO" overall.

Folks like Norv, Marty, rely on the player's rep.

All notice a core or a couple of players and build from there, but they also can do it from scratch.

This favors guys like this to get the most of lessor known players. Thus the more of these guys swimming together in the lower ranks, the bigger these old timer's eyes get!

Originally posted by Old Glory

If Gibbs is half as smart as he used to be, then he's going to trade down and pick up some picks.

If he stays and selects Taylor then I then will know that Gibbs is a great coach but a terrible GM.

Younger and faster doesn't always equate to drafting rookies does it???

So in your opinion we are not in a win now mode? like most NFL analysts suggest.

Say, we do what you think is the "smart GM move" and trade down, pick up some extra picks, do you propose starting them

I see nothing contradictory in getting younger and faster and drafting Taylor (or any other marquee player). But I understand your larger point is directed toward the team overall.

The smartest thing we can do with the #5 is trade down. It's a simple fact and has the highest probability of yielding greater impact to the team overall. It just depends on how much any of the marquee players are truly seen as 'can't pass on' opportunities. In that vein...

Every guy at the top of the board has strengths and weaknesses which will be put under the microscope in the NFL come gametime.

The only position and player in this group which has the least exposure to weakness exploitation is Gallery IMO. Others will disagree. But there is no denying that the D-Line especially could be put into much better condition by trading down.

Supoaga, Olshansky, etc. are names to follow.

Let's be real here fellas. If we were really concerned w/ depth we wouldn't be constantly trading away picks. Unlike N.E. who have an abundance of picks and just won their second S.B. in three years. Until we value our picks more or get the maximum out of them, we're going to have to select the best player who can contribute right away. I' d move down only if I was sure that I could still get Taylor or Winslow. This will only happen if Gallery is still on the board w/ the previous two. We need impact players.

I'd have to think that if Gallery fell in our laps at #5 we'd take him despite or needs at other positions. If we are thinking of moving up in the draft to get Gallery then why wouldn't we take him if he's there and we haven't had to give up anything? I wouldn't agree with this but I do think they'd do it.

Now, the best choice in that scenario would be as follows. Select Gallery at #5. Trade Samuels and Trotter to the Browns for their #7 pick. Then we take Taylor if he's there. If not, we take a defensive lineman. This isn't what I think will happen but it'd sure be nice.

I just don't get this at all. If trading down was the sign of a good GM, then why isn't it done with all top 5 picks? Come on, if anybody that we didn't pick a 5 and was available, turns all pro he's an bad GM? What if he trades down and Taylor/Winslow turns into all everything? It's all a guessing game, saying that trading down is the smart thing to do is not always right. More picks just means more chances at players that have less talent. You can win big but could lose out on top talent just as big.

i would love it if after all these trade rumors, it comes down to gallery, winslow, and taylor all at the board on 5 with like 8 teams waiting for us to trade and snyder just tells them to go to hell and picks taylor just to give them one more thing to be pissed at snyder about.

Originally posted by nace14

i would love it if after all these trade rumors, it comes down to gallery, winslow, and taylor all at the board on 5 with like 8 teams waiting for us to trade and snyder just tells them to go to hell and picks taylor just to give them one more thing to be pissed at snyder about.

If that were to happen I'd want Snyder to grab Gallery and never look back. Samuels accounts for how much of our cap space now? And although he has said he will restructure for this year only and would like to renegotiate next year, what makes anyone think his demands will have any less of an impact then they already do?

I say trade him now, get the pain over with and make a new investment. Give Bugel a new toy with even more talent and give us some more realistic cap space for the future.

With Samuels and Wynn sucking up so much oxygen now, what makes anyone think we can sign all of these trade down picks? Ain't gonna happen unless some flesh is traded. Gardner and Samuels are the most likely targets but Samuels only if Gallery is available to us. Which would be an outright miracle, the kind you just don't walk away from without danger of incurring the wrath of God.

EDIT: Of course then again, it could be Gods way of saying "trade down" you fools. :laugh:

It seems that if Gallery is there at #5, they Browns are willing to sell the farm for him.

Browns | Second Call Made To Chargers For No. 1 Pick; Team Eying Gallery - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:43:08 -0700

Updating a previous report, Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns have intensified their effort to acquire NFL draft prospect OT Robert Gallery (Iowa) in the April 24-25 NFL Draft. The team talked to the San Diego Chargers late Wednesday, April 21, about a trade for the No. 1 overall pick and the discussions were deemed as "serious," according to one source with knowledge of the talks. It was the second time this week the Browns have contacted the Chargers, with the first call coming on Monday, April 19, according to Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. Wednesday's call was motivated by the Browns' strong belief that the Oakland Raiders would take Gallery with the second pick in the draft.

I just don't see doing this for any less than the Browns #2.

It seems everyone here has made it pretty clear that there is a drop in talent level after K2/Taylor are off the board. If that is truly the case I don't see how the Brown's #3 pick is worth the move...as was previously suggested.

In my opinion you take the trade if they offer their second rounder. Then you take Dockett or someone similar in the second and Udeze/Smith in the first.

Archived