Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would we accept for the 2005 1st round pick?

Mooney

Originally posted by Oldskool

If a team offered their mid to late 1st round pick this year for our #1 next and possibly our late round choices this year, I’d do it.

does this sort of thing ever actually happen? when was the last time a team that had a first round selection actually said it'll pass on all of the current year's first round prospects so it'll have another first round pick next year -- i think every FO in the league just doesn't have this sort of patience -- if you've got a first rounder this year, you wouldn't want to give it up for a first rounder next year -- only for a top caliber player

Originally posted by skinsarethebest

does this sort of thing ever actually happen? when was the last time a team that had a first round selection actually said it'll pass on all of the current year's first round prospects so it'll have another first round pick next year -- i think every FO in the league just doesn't have this sort of patience -- if you've got a first rounder this year, you wouldn't want to give it up for a first rounder next year -- only for a top caliber player

Youre right, this rarely ever happens. But we are playing with “What if’s” right now.

The only time I can remember something like this happening was the Balt/NE trade last year where the Ratbirds got Boller and Suggs.

If the Skins traded their #1 pick in 2005, it would only be worth a 2nd round pick in this year's draft. A risky proposition. Bobby Beathard did it frequently with the Skins and San Diego, but it also frequently backfired on him, when the player he selected didn't pan out.

I might consider giving up our #1 pick in 2005 for DE John Abraham of the Jets though, who is young and would provide us with a pass rush. :)

Originally posted by skinsarethebest

I believe Baltimore did it last year?

To get Boller? They already had Suggs and I think they gave their second and next years first for a mid first round selection.

Houston two years ago was offering the first pick in the second round for a first the next year. No one bit and they took Jabar Gaffney.

Originally posted by Jimbo

Adewale Ogunleye would be my choice

:ditto: I don't care who he was playing oppostie of. If it was so easy to get 15 sacks playing opposite a great DE, how come no one else is doing it? Going into his prime(5) year and last year tied for second with sacks(Simeon Rice also had 15) and Jason Taylor had 13. The guy how's "supposedly" helping the kid get more sacks with double teams had 2 less sacks then him. He had more sacks then a all-star! I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Like I said, if it was that easy, a lot more people would've done it.

I might be wrong on this but I just find it hard to believe we can keep trading our picks and not have it come back to haunt us down the road. I don't think you ever trade a future #1 except when faced with the most extraordinary of opportunities. The Falcons learned it the hard way when they traded their future 1st rounder after losing in the SuperBowl figuring they were pretty much a lock for the playoffs the following season, and it ends up being a top 10 pick. We are coming off a 5-11 season.

Archived