Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comcast: Samuels Speaks

StevieInferior

Originally posted by TODD

Great news, but what would be better would be...

To tell your idiot agent to let you restructure so we can make a playoff run!

Uh Samuels makes that call. The agent can make suggestions, but the player has the finally okay.

Hey DH, he isn't the only one who created threads, directed at slamming the FO for "making" this trade.(Devils Advocate)

Also, I was just watching Fox Sports, I saw the same Samuels interview. He sounded like he is happy here, but said nothing about restructing.

Also they interviewed Smooty, and he is hoping Sean Taylor is drafted with the 5th pick.

I just watched the News, and Chris Samuals says it is just a rumer and he do esnot know where it started about him getting traded he lkooked into it??(I wonder where heh, we are big rumer starters, remember that rumer that the junks grabbed off the board and said it on the news) and fred smoot says he hopes and thinks they are going to go after Taylor, but he also said he would def have to be taylor or K2 with that 5th pick.

I distinctly remember Joe Bugel stating on Sportstalk 980 in an interview following Gibbs' introductory press conference that he believed that Chris Samuels has the potential to be not only one of the best O-linemen in the league, but also one of the best players in the league.

That speaks volumes to me. So I don't necessarily agree with those who suggest that maybe Gibbs and company possibly watched the film and decided that Samuels is somebody who is expendable.

While the organization realizes that something has to be done about his contract, I don't necessarily think that they believe they are moving forward and making overall progress by dumping Samuels.

Gallery would be a beautiful replacement at LT, but the timing of this rumoured deal is just ridiculous. I would be able to understand it from a financial standpoint if we were a team who had very few holes to fill, but that is certainly not the case on defense.

A Gallery/Samuels deal would arguably suggest that the organization views the cap situation as being more critical than our situation and needs on the defensive side of the ball. However, it seems as though from a financial standpoint, a plan had been put in place long ago. Thus, I don't think that ridding of Samuels is as urgent as some of these rumours might lead us to believe.

I don't understand why Samuels won't restructure his deal. I understand he has restructured in the past to help out the team and he is due a big paycheck this season, but he could always sign a new long-term contract with a very nice signing bonus, to compensate. I just think Samuels wants a chance to void his last year and have a chance at the Free Agency market. That's saying to me, he doesn't want to stay a Redskin.

Samuels probably doesn't want to restructure his deal for several reasons:

First, he is coming off 2 sub-par seasons and therefore his negotiating leverage is not in prime position.

Second, he has 2 years left, so he has some room to have a good season to gain back that leverage before he is facing the possibility of getting slapped with tags for not resigning.

He said on Channel 7 news tonight that he would restructure his contract, if the numbers were right. He is probably saying that if they make him an offer that speaks to his ability 3 & 4 years ago, then he will play ball, but if they factor in the last 2 years, no dice.

I am just saying that that is probably his position ... what financial/business incentive does he have to renegotiate otherwise. The same thing happens in the draft. If a college player has a great year, they usually come out and role the dice because they may get drafted higher = bigger paycheck. If they have a not so great year, they stay in for another and roll the dice again.

I would love to see him renegotiate his contract for reasons other than business/financial incentives, such as better overall team and a chance to win. Better move for getting in with the community and becoming a Mr. Redskin type player ... etc, etc, etc ... but in today's day and age, that probably won't happen too much :(

Archived