Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Connection between the Trotter/Samuels trades?

StevieInferior

When Gibbs came aboard, we all seemed ready for a surprise cut/trade or two where Gibbs is attempting to make a statement. So far the major cut/trade scenarios seemed surrounded around Trotter and Samuels. The interesting thing about the two of these players is that they both have big contracts and are both represented by Jimmy Sexton. Sexton, you may remember, was rumored to try and force a Ramsey trade by not renegotiating other contracts. Could it be that Sexton has been doing this in quiet and now the Skins are taking away his only leverage?

If so, he is really screwing Trotter who is not likely to neither get a trade with his current contract nor get a new contract as lucrative.

If Trotter has sexton for an agent this is interesting.

I wanted to see Trotter playing for us at 100% instead of the 70% or so he played last year.

But if J Gibbs/ Snyder are showing sexton and future bone head agents how its gonna be I'm all for it.

but was he disinvited due to his play or Sexton's negitiation tactics or because they truely don't want him. Not saying my theory is true, but I find it intersting that two of Sexton's clients are up for a trade when it was reported that he would use his other clients to force a trade for Ramsey.

Hey Ill be the first one to say that Im for a purge of all players that have either Sexton or the Ponson’s as their agents as well as 86ing them in the future.

HOWEVER, Im not inclined to cut my hand off to spite my face. If we could get Samuels to redo his contract this year or next year, id be for keeping him. however

If it comes down to him being a cap liability, id cut/trade him. Id like for us to have some depth at the O line efore then, considering the impending Fiore injury settlement/retirement.

Short of extreme circumstances that affect the way the player performs on the field, e.g. a holdout, I think we're the stupid ones for letting agents dominate our thinking on personnel matters. What do we get out of "teaching Sexton a lesson", even assuming he's in fact duly chastened afterwards?

I'd like to see a client list for Sexton because if it's true that Trotter and Samuels are his clients, this is a somewhat telling series of events. It was reported that the team was unhappy with Sexton attempting to leverage one of his clients with the Ramsey situation. Perhaps he tried to leverage two, and the team is responding by removing his leverage, and alienating his remaining client against him :).

This whole Trotter go out and arrange your own trade thing is interesting to me. I mean why would he do it and lose out on the opportunity to sell himself on the open market after 6/1 without the team signing him having to give up anything. A couple years ago it would have made sense because their would be no cap space left after 6/1 but the league's cap approach has changed a lot since then so there will be many teams with cap space left to persue him if he fits a need. The one team that stands out to me is the team whose system he fit well enough to acheive a Pro Bowl level of play before he joined the Skins.

The Eagles thought enough of him to make him a FP and offer him 5.65M for one year of play so it stands to reason they would be interested in getting him back and having him reach PB level of play in their attacking style of D. The fact that he would be doing it on a reduced level of pay because he's already financially secure with the 9M he earned as a 2 year Redskin would make it extra sweet for Reid. As it turns out they could sign him to the deal they offered him when he was an Eagle and release Nate Wayne and suffer no extra cap cost in 04 and 05 and actually realize a large cap savings in 2006.

Of course the Skins could trade him without him redoing his deal for the new team but that deal is so large it would only net the Skins a marginal pick. So if we're talking about a 6th rd pick why would they do the trade and use 2M of 04's cap space when they could instead wait until 6/1 and release him and instead produce 2.7M of extra cap space in 04 that can be used to sign that #5 pick and also pay for players #52 and #53 on the roster and the 400K for the rookie pool?

Originally posted by Art

I'd like to see a client list for Sexton because if it's true that Trotter and Samuels are his clients, this is a somewhat telling series of events.

I can't seem to find a list of his clients, but here is one where he speaks about Trotter speficially right before coming here.

Nick

so it stands to reason they would be interested in getting him back and having him reach PB level of play in their attacking style of D

Nope- he burned too many bridges in Philly and they were only willing to tag him that season to buy them a year- they didn't have anyone on the roster to effectively man the spot.

No way he's back in Philly, especially after the knee injury and the stuff he said about the franchise on his way out the door.

When he left, he thought he was worth Ray Lewis money (in his own words) and now he will likely be a street FA less than 2 years later....how funny is that.

Originally posted by Art

I'd like to see a client list for Sexton because if it's true that Trotter and Samuels are his clients, this is a somewhat telling series of events. It was reported that the team was unhappy with Sexton attempting to leverage one of his clients with the Ramsey situation. Perhaps he tried to leverage two, and the team is responding by removing his leverage, and alienating his remaining client against him :).

Here's a link to their site and it specifically mentions Trotter.

http://www.athleticresourcemanagement.com/

What a sad state of affairs that the lions share of personel decisions now are directly related to sports agents and not chemistry with the team, or even straight up merit.

I like what the cap is doing for parity in the league, but I hate this nasty by product of it.

Originally posted by redman

Short of extreme circumstances that affect the way the player performs on the field, e.g. a holdout, I think we're the stupid ones for letting agents dominate our thinking on personnel matters. What do we get out of "teaching Sexton a lesson", even assuming he's in fact duly chastened afterwards?

I agree 100%. Who is really getting taught a lesson here? If the Skins trade Samuels and the #5 for the #2 who looses? The agent? The Skins?

Both probably.

Archived