Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mario Monds under Schottenheimer

THe word on this guy is that he has great athletic ability but can get pretty lazy sometimes due to his size.

The more I think about our Defensive Line, the more I think we are going to see that this guy is a steal for the sixth round. I mean, Schottenhimer strives on discipline and details. And if this guy is anything near what scouts were saying about him then we are gonna really see what it means to have two good Defensive Tackles in there. injun.gifinjun.gif

Well, EXPECTING a guy like Monds to produce early is a stretch, but with Marty and co. now running the show I DO expect them tto find at least a few diamonds in the rough each draft/training camp. That was another huge problem we had under Norv-- very rarely did we find gems out of nowhere. Guys like Leomont Evans played, but were horrible. I always blew off those training camp rumors about so and so looking great-- now, I'll pay attention again.

Monds HAS to know he's got a great oppourtunity here. Could there have been a better team select him for his situation? With that, if he can perform reasonably well he may see a decent amount of time on the field.

If he comes in ****y or gets lazy ... well, I imagine Marty will have something for him.

That's funny you should compare him to McGlockton. Because one writer said that McGlockton might be the laziest player in the NFL right now, a trait that Monds is known for having. So lets hoping you were comparing Mario to Chester for talent reasons alone.

Monds has 'big man' disease, ie he has gotten by on his size and strength alone during his athletic career with no effort made to improve himself in the gym or the practice field.

Lots of players come into the NFL with this history and a few turn the corner and become standouts, perhaps realizing their past MO won't cut it in the pros.

More never learn their lesson and end up getting released and have regrets 10 years later they didn't work harder.

Monds is in great position here. The team has NO run-stopping tackles to start opposite Wilkinson. Lang and Cowsette are situational players and not likely to be first down starters.

Monds' performance will in large part dictate whether the Skins have to sign a DT before the start of the regular season.

Yeah, McGlockton occurred to me too.

On the upside, Marty's staff had a knack in KC, and Cleveland for that matter, of finding underrated interior defensive linemen and maximizing their talents and performance. Saleamua and Perry (Gerald? Fridge's younger brother) come to mind in that regard.

We're not smarter than Marty about the needs of the team. I'm sure that Monds' development - and the other young D-liners for that matter - has been and will be a primary focus for this coaching staff.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Monds could well be a key factor in whether the Redskins are a contending team, or just a competitive one. If Monds is a find and can play enough to contribute every game, then the Redskins could find the defensive line is a strength, rather than an apparent weakness and certain question. If Monds plays to his talent and Marty can motivate him to perform, he could transform this into a strength, leaving Washington in position to be a very dangerous football team. If Monds is ONLY as good as Stubby has been, we are no worse off, and certainly we can contend in the NFC. I don't see him evolving that quickly though, and I don't see the Redskins adapting very quickly to the new scheme, so I question whether we'll really be able to contend this year. But, if the stars align, Monds could be the answer to the largest question and biggest hole we presently have.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Archived