Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCants and Ohalete...

Joe7

are 2 guys I hope we don't lose. I think they are both improving rapidly, and both could become stars in this league; remember, they are both young. Any news on Ohalete? I have not heard anything at all about him lately, and several players that are missing from the extremeskins roster page concern me. What about Sellers as a fullback, he's not listed. And is Patrick Johnson gone? he's not listed either, I heard he was made an offer by the Bengals? Appreciate updates if anyone has them.

I know we love McCants here. I know we love him a lot more than he deserves. I'm sure we hope and the team hopes to retain him. But, not for the first time I've heard the staff is really very high on Taylor Jacobs. Remember, Jacobs won the No. 3 receiver job in camp and got hurt then never really got himself back in the mix.

Jacobs is an excellent prospect who carried a first-round grade. I can't recall how many people here drool over Antonio Bryant yet don't realize Jacobs was almost universally considered a better prospect coming out into the league.

Jacobs was a great pick up last year as he provided immense value that was too great to pass up. Jacobs was the "obvious" pick when he fell to us. It may be that the staff sees a lot of potential in him. Enough even not to fret if McCants were to get a lucrative offer somewhere else.

The only thing about losing McCants, though, is that after we've lost P. Johnson, Cliff Russell with just a little chance left to show he's not a bust, Gardner in his contract year, we're not that deep at wr any more. If McCants goes, who's our #4 wr? Much less our #5?

I don't hate Taylor at all. I understood why we made that pick last year, especially when he was considered pretty much across the board as a first round talent. If you lose McCants though, Taylor pretty much HAS to pan out as the third guy. After Taylor, who do we have? (And don't say Cliff Russell)

**Edit - Thinker, I must've been typing my post when you posted that. We're on the same page. We have to hold on to McCants now that we've lost Johnson.

Thinker, Gardner is signed for two more seasons.

I don't recall Gibbs running many 4, much less 5, WR sets. Not that he can't add that to his arsenal, of course. Now, they do need depth there in case of injury, but it's more essential that those roster spots be able to play ST. Maybe the team will keep extra TEs to compensate?

Originally posted by Art

I know we love McCants here. I know we love him a lot more than he deserves. I'm sure we hope and the team hopes to retain him. But, not for the first time I've heard the staff is really very high on Taylor Jacobs. Remember, Jacobs won the No. 3 receiver job in camp and got hurt then never really got himself back in the mix.

Jacobs is an excellent prospect who carried a first-round grade. I can't recall how many people here drool over Antonio Bryant yet don't realize Jacobs was almost universally considered a better prospect coming out into the league.

Jacobs was a great pick up last year as he provided immense value that was too great to pass up. Jacobs was the "obvious" pick when he fell to us. It may be that the staff sees a lot of potential in him. Enough even not to fret if McCants were to get a lucrative offer somewhere else.

i completely agree. there was a thread going on about this yesterday and what you really got to look at is that both mccants and jacobs are developing young players. and while they have different styles, jacobs has the potential to develop into the better of the two and younger. so if we can't match mccants then we are still not in in a bad situation. personally, i think if we have them both around, jacobs would beat mccants out for the 3 spot anyway.

I like our WR corps right now, just as we have it. It has depth, experience and potential.

And while yes, I think we can survive loosing D-MAC, I just hope we don't. With some professioanl coaching, just think how good he could be!

The other thing to keep in mind is that the draft is very deep at WR this year and we could potentially pick up another WR with our 5th round pick. There will also be some undrafted WR's from smaller schools that hopefully our scouting department has targeted.

I have said this countless number of times, but D-Mac is a great player, and has a great nose for the endzone, but he's not worth a big contract. Jacobs is better, and Gibbs doesn't use more than 3 wide anyways. Even if he does, you could line Portis up as 4th wide out. :cool:

:eaglesuck:dallasuck

Originally posted by Art

Hey Art..how was Jacobs the obvious pick when Mike Doss was sitting right there also??

Now in Indy, Doss plays that Bucs defense that doesn't utilize him to his fullest but I think Mike Doss was the pick for us. Jacobs might not even make this ballclub as a WR. Special teamer yes but WR?? That's seriously in question.

Old Glory~

How do you figure that Jacobs won't make the team as a WR?:doh: Where did you hear that? I don't beleive that for a second. Jacobs will be the #3 guy this year (w/ or w/o McCants still on the team) and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up great numbers. :cheers:

:finger: Jimmy Johnson

Originally posted by Drex

I find it interesting that the skins could have taken Anquan Boldin with the second round selection in stead of Jacobs.

That's just revisionist thinking. Jacobs was clearly rated higher than Boldin. Most, if not all, teams would have taken Jacobs over Boldin. Boldin had a better season than Rogers and Johnson, too. You think he should have been drafted ahead of them?

Let's let Jacobs actually have a normal, injury-free season before we judge him. People always clamor about the team not developing its own talent, but don't want to have the patience to let that talent develop. Not every player is an overnight sensation.:2cents:

I find it interesting that the skins could have taken Anquan Boldin with the second round selection in stead of Jacobs.

You could say that about every team in the league Drex.

No one knew that he would have the kind of year he had last season. His combine numbers were terrible and he didn't have much experience playing receiver. At the time, Jacobs looked like the better player, he still could be a better player in the long term. Only time will tell. It's so easy to look back and say we could have done this we could have done that. The draft is 90% luck 10% educated guess.

Speaking of revisionist history, Jacobs at one point prior to the draft last year, was rated as a mid first round draft pick. Of course, the position of his draft selection was somewhat lower than those initial projections.

The reality is that the whole league had the opportunity to draft Jacobs from 1-43 but relinquised the right to do so. Judging by last year's performance, I don't disagree with their decision.

However, I am willing to be proven wrong :)

Originally posted by Art

Madden thinks Jacobs in a step better than D-MAC also.

NFL Madden 2004, if it's in the game it's in the game. :hump:

Originally posted by SonnyJ

Thinker, Gardner is signed for two more seasons.

I don't recall Gibbs running many 4, much less 5, WR sets. Not that he can't add that to his arsenal, of course. Now, they do need depth there in case of injury, but it's more essential that those roster spots be able to play ST. Maybe the team will keep extra TEs to compensate?

Are you sure ABOUT Gardner??? Believe me man i hope you are.....

People always clamor about the team not developing its own talent, but don't want to have the patience to let that talent develop. Not every player is an overnight sensation.

EXACTLY!

I have never seen a teams fans so gung ho about getting rid of players, and wanting to bring in new ones. If the player isn't a super star after a couple weeks, he is a bum.

Speaking of revisionist history, Jacobs at one point prior to the draft last year, was rated as a mid first round draft pick. Of course, the position of his draft selection was somewhat lower than those initial projections.

The reality is that the whole league had the opportunity to draft Jacobs from 1-43 but relinquised the right to do so. Judging by last year's performance, I don't disagree with their decision.

However, I am willing to be proven wrong :)

what performance? he was hurt most of the year and McCants already had the #3 spot when he did come back.

That's like saying Carson Palmer is a bust because of his performance last year.;)

Originally posted by jimster

what performance? he was hurt most of the year and McCants already had the #3 spot when he did come back.

That's like saying Carson Palmer is a bust because of his performance last year.;)

it was stated before in this thread but jacobs had won the 3rd reciever job before he was hurt. plus that fact it takes alot of wr two -three tears to hit there stride. mccants should remain a skin but it all depends on the offer he recieves. its just like johnson you cant go around paying everyone more then they are worth. and as far as wr depth goes if drafted kw2 can line up as a wr some also.

Originally posted by Art

I know we love McCants here. I know we love him a lot more than he deserves...

Why doesn't D-MAC deserve the love that he gets from the fans here...he was much better than Rod last year, and aside from Coles, was our best option in the passing game...6 TD's with limited PT is enough to get mad props from me, and I hope that other fans agree that it would be sh!tty if we can't keep D-MAC around.

Until Jacobs actually shows me something aside from ONE diving TD and 3 games played, I'm with McCants.

i think everyone could agree that McCant shouldnt get a big contract from us... and i think everyone could agree that McCant is worth more than 4th/5th comp pick (lol to lazy to check)....

now wut if some team came along and offered McCant a big offer or if some team came to us offering a 2nd/3rd rounder for him... do we still keep him?

I think even after we lost Johnson we can still lose one more WR among McCant/Jacobs/Russell and still be well off...

Archived