Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pro-bowl Corner coming?

slinky

I don't think you can make a case for who is best, they all have different styles. You could through A Winfield, C Woodson & a few others into this debate & get different results. I think Champ is probably the best all around corner, Law is the most intelligent, & McAlister is the most physical.

:thud:

Champ is one of the best Db's, but have you guys watched any of the Gibbs era games lately ? The defenses we had when we won our Super Bowls were solid. Gibbs knows the importance of a good defense.

Granted we did have Green on one side, but we did it as a team defense. I will let better football minds than mine make these choices. The head guy has 3 trophies.:)

All the rest afterwards have none.

Give him a chance, I think he knows what he is doing.:cheers:

Originally posted by Mad Mike

Champ better than Law? BULLSH!T.

Is champ more physicaly gifted? Sure. But the bottom line is this. Law makes plays. Champ doesn't. End of story.

Wow, if only football was that simple.

Law has a pass rush, yet Law still gives up more yards. Sorry, logic just doesn't compute that he is better than Champ. People think Champ had a bad year this season, yet Law has endured WORST seasons, and yes I meant SEASONS as in plural.

I'm sure you'll bring up the AFc Championship game as a shining example of how much better Law is, but I've been through this ad nauseum already so I'll save your fingers the effort. Manning threw horrible throws on all but 1 one of his interceptions. Sean Salisbury correctly pointed out how the awesome pass rush that gave Manning happy feet all day, had a profound effect on Manning's passes.

Furthermore, Law plays in a balanced defense with strong disciplined by Belicheck. Who even made Otis Smith look like a good corner....OTIS SMITH!!!

Law isn't a better corner, he just played in a much better system than Champ did. End of story. :)

Originally posted by RedskinsNation

Booger face - uhhh nope. McAllister isnt scared to tackle/not scared to play bump n run. He hits, makes giant plays, scores tds. Champ got burnt by Toomer 3 yrs in a row, not to mention Meshawn and dumpy Marcus Robinson as well...thats just to name a few to laugh at. Terry Glenn ****ed him at Dallas and Glenn's a 'she'. Champ is soft, maybe fast but soft in terms of boneing up at the line.

:rolleyes:

Where do we begin? How about we start with the fact that Champ prefers to play bump-n-run? How about it's more than a little difficult to play bump-n-run when you have a strained shoulder and broken wrist?! Or maybe, just maybe, ALL of our corners didn't play much bump-n-run because Edwards told them to. Which obvious scenario do you prefer?

Toomer has always had Champ's number, no doubt. Yet please come up with ONE GAME where Keyshawn Johnson ever did anything but get shutdown by Champ Bailey. Before you even start typing espn.com, I'll let you know that they've only matched up 3 times and Keyshawn did NOTHING every single time. To go along with that, Terrell Owens hasn't done anything aganist Champ in two games as well. I'll give you Marcus Robinson, yet that was 5 years ago. I mean really, who cares about a game 5 years ago? Especially when that was the year Robinson made the Pro Bowl. :laugh: Way to play on how far he's fallen since then, too bad I have a pretty good memory.

The Glenn comment was pretty funny, but I find 6 catches for 73 yards a little difficult to call "****ing" somebody. Especially when that TD was aganist Smoot. It also couldn't have been in the next game, where he only had 2 catches for 18 yards. Big whoop. But I guess no one remembers Ty Law getting destroyed by Kevin Johnson of the Browns bi-annually. Or the same happening to McAlister aganist Ward and Burress. Nah, nobody remembers that. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jbooma

I think he is talking about Shawn Springs coming here. He is not going to be as expensive as the other CB's and is still a very good CB.

Remember we can't shell out a ton of money on this CB because we have to take care of Smoot next year.

A Smoot and Springs with Taylor secondary has me excited.

I'm surprised nobody cares that Springs was regulated to the nickel back by the end of last season. The Seahawks are letting him become available for a reason.

to respond to one posters idea about vincent being the no. 3 corner. i say... what the (pardon my french) are you smoking? a pro bowler does not become a no. 3 corner.

i say we sign either winfield, plummer, winfield, or vincent and as a last option fernando bryant of the jags.

if we are giving up the best cover corner then we should be getting the best tackling corner who is winfield. however my only concern about winfield is that big receivers like randy moss will own him, because of the height difference.

bryant is a top 15 corner who is not even being mentioned. he is inconsistent but when he has played up to his potential he has been only a notch between bailey and mcalister. he had an awesome rookie year. then he was inconsistent for a while and was solid last year. with all the attention on winfield and plummer, this guy would be pretty cheap to sign on to be our no. 1 corner. he may request just a 5 mil bonus.

plummer at 6 feet has the ideal size to cover big receivers because he is a 6-footer unlike winfield and bryant.

here are some scouting reports:

CB AHMED PLUMMER

(5-11 1/8, 191, 4.5e) Ohio State

Notes: Redshirted in 1995. Served as a backup in ’96. Started the last three years. Had 18 stops and two passes broken up in ’96; 42 tackles, six passes broken up and five interceptions in ’97; 52-17-4 in ’98; and 55-9-5 in ’99. Has won Academic All-Big Ten honors the past four years and got some All-Big Ten notice in ’99.

Positives: Has good intangibles. Supersmart. Studies film and learns tendencies. Has good anticipation through knowledge. A good technician with above-average to good physical tools. Durable and dependable. Makes some plays on the ball. Will support against the run.

Negatives: Is not an exceptional, Shawn Springs type of athlete. Lacks great deep, catch-up speed. Speedy Miami (Fla.) WR Santana Moss made Plummer look as though he were a step slow in the Kickoff Classic. Tends to leave too much cushion when in backed-off, man-on-man coverage.

Summary: A very good prospect but not a great one. A smart, savvy, mature player who has some limitations but still generally plays well.

CB FERNANDO BRYANT

(5-9 7/8, 180, 4.48) Alabama

Notes: High-school sprinter who finished third in his Tennessee class’ 100-meter dash. Nephew of former NFL standout CB Don Griffin, whose best years were with the 49ers. Bryant became a starter midway through the 1995 season as a true freshman and has started ever since. Had 39 tackles and three passes broken up as a freshman and 42-14 and his first three interceptions in ’96. In ’97, he had 47-10-3, with 106 interception-return yards and one touchdown. Also returned 15 kickoffs for 416 yards. He broke his jaw last spring but came back in the fall to win first-team All-Southeastern Conference honors. Was in on 51 stops last season, breaking up four passes and picking off two. He also returned two kickoffs for 50 yards.

Positive: Exceptional athlete with outstanding body control and coordination. Quick, agile, smooth and fluid. Has good hips and does not lose much in transition. Has good ability to change direction. Can plant and drive on the ball. Shows cover skills playing both bump and man-off coverage. Had a good week at the Senior Bowl.

Negatives: Could work harder. At times will take the easy way out. Is no killer vs. the run. Plays the run a little soft at times. Is not as big as scouts would like or as strong as he could and should be. Loses his coverage cushion and lets too many receivers run by him.

Summary: Has as much talent as his uncle had in his prime. Got a chance to make himself a lot of money at the Senior Bowl — and did. Nevertheless, Bryant needs to get stronger and show he will pay the price if he is to enjoy the type of success that Griffin had.

CB ANTOINE WINFIELD

(5-8 5/8, 176, 4.47) Ohio State

Notes: Team’s third cornerback as a freshman in 1995, finishing the year with 56 tackles. Top backup in ’96 who started four times when Ty Howard was hurt. Started every game in ’97 and won All-Big Ten honors, made two major All-America teams and was named the Buckeyes’ MVP. Started every contest in ’98, when he was an All-American and won the Thorpe Award as the top defensive back in the country, although he did not intercept a pass during the regular season. Had 47 tackles, one interception and two passes broken up in ’96; 92-2-12 and 3 sacks in ’97. Ended ’98 with 72 tackles and 13 passes broken up.

Positives: Great intangibles. Top competitor. Super tough. Very strong for size. A big hitter. Relishes contact. Loves to blitz and is good at it. Can play man-on-man coverage. Has good hips, feet, speed and quickness. Tremendous work ethic. Coach John Cooper calls him the best cornerback he ever coached — and he had Shawn Springs.

Negatives: Lacks height. Gets outsized and outjumped. Does not play the ball that well. Loses too often in jump-ball situations and is not a productive interceptor.

Summary: Winfield has the heart of a lion and the feet of a cornerback, but his lack of height and ball awareness in coverage are concerns.

Originally posted by method man

Negatives: Is not an exceptional, Shawn Springs type of athlete. Lacks great deep, catch-up speed. Speedy Miami (Fla.) WR Santana Moss made Plummer look as though he were a step slow in the Kickoff Classic.

Notice it's Shawn Springs not Champ mentioned as a "athlete". Shawn is a fine player. When healthy, he is one of the fastest players in the league. Getting off that turf in Seatle will help his hammy. He would be a great fit and cheaper than any other corner available. He is also a local kid that grew up watching Joe Gibbs. Knows and respects him and should be able to fit in great.

I for one wouldn't take Winfield. I wouldn't even think of taking a 5'8 corner. Not in todays league.

And btw, gamebreaker, did you watch the Tampa Bay game this year? Maybe you saw Keyshawn's 55 yard TD agains't Champ? You let a slow, poor route running, has been run by you for a 55 yard touchdown? Champ is a great corner, but can be replaced.

When you peeps are comparing stats from McCalister and Law and Winfield to Champ don't forget, all those players play in the AFC. A much, much better passing conference than NFC:whippin:

:pimp:

Archived