Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why give Denver the 2nd round pick?

monarch34

Originally posted by Buddha

In a decade or so when Portis hangs up his cleats and the equipment manager crosses #26 off the list of available Skins jersey numbers, no one will remember that 2nd round pick.

If Portis blows out a knee and that 2nd round pick goes on to a great career, I'LL sure as heck remember it. :(

Originally posted by DAN SNYDER

oh i'm sorry guy, my mistake a.h., i thought this was a fan website. thanks for your brilliant insight into the situation. you think gibbs has a magic wand and will get some of the same turds to produce on defense tha haven't produced in years:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you are dreaming. yes, i will agree that gibbs was a great coach and hopefully will continue to be, but it takes players. he also had a pretty damn good gm with him as well!!!and you are right, rogers and riggs were nowhere near portis, so why would gibbs really need him??

\

2002 Defense. Check facts...then think about them...then come back and try to post with a little intelligence.

Originally posted by ArmchairRedskin

\

2002 Defense. Check facts...then think about them...then come back and try to post with a little intelligence.

moron, give it up. the 2002 defense had marvin lewis ,big daddy, gardner, totally different from the 2003 defense withzero defensive tackles. you make no sense. now, the 2004 defense will be absent there best player, so tell me how is gibbs going to have a better defense than marvin lewis' 2002 defense???:moon: dude, you are a joke.

since it is inevitable that champ is gone, who is going to take his place?? i do not believe we have much cap room., and we certainly have no draft picks.

Another instance in which you failed to identify the proper facts before posting. Go check our cap room. There are even threads on this very site where you can do so.

Another instance in which you failed to identify the proper facts before posting. Go check our cap room. There are even threads on this very site where you can do so.

ok guywe need to sign portis(maybe), need 2 defensive tackles, a linebacker, a def end , and last but not least another corner. you are a comedy show:hammer:

moron, give it up. the 2002 defense had marvin lewis ,big daddy, gardner, totally different from the 2003 defense withzero defensive tackles. you make no sense. now, the 2004 defense will be absent there best player, so tell me how is gibbs going to have a better defense than marvin lewis' 2002 defense???:moon: dude, you are a joke.

Listen chief, your name calling puts you on the very bottom of the intelligence ladder. Once you can post some thoughts without resorting to personal attacks you can get back to me.

Your statement was " a defense which hasn't produced in years."

The whole defense wasn't replaced in 2003. Therefor, what I said stands and you stand corrected.

Listen chief, your name calling puts you on the very bottom of the intelligence ladder. Once you can post some thoughts without resorting to personal attacks you can get back to me.

Your statement was " a defense which hasn't produced in years."

The whole defense wasn't replaced in 2003. Therefor, what I said stands and you stand corrected.

finally getting to you huh, you were the one that started rplying to a nicelly toned thread by insulting me, so i replied back. you can dish it out but you can't take it. actually , i'm on the same team as you my friend. actually besides the end of kurt schotts tenure and lewis, they have not produced in years. my point here armchair, is we are losing more players on defense, and that is truely where we need the most help. champ will leave a huge hole. what will we do about dt's and de's this year? most of the guys on the dl are rejects from other teams. i think we could put a 1st and 2nd rd pick to work on this team. i fgibbs diid it with riggs and rogers, he can certainly do it with betts,trung or another fa rb. peace :cheers:

Originally posted by OURYEAR#56

Easy fella, Ramsey may not stepon the field this year. We should never trade away picks with such a deep draft. The second round pick could land us a player like Darnell Docket (perfect 2 gap player) or Chad Lavalias ( I love this guy). I hope Gibbs has something up his sleeve because he'll have to perform some magic to make this work. One again we have new faces, will the results be the same? Stop following Joe blindly, its been 11 years since he coached a football game. His biggest opponent will be the cap, and right now we're managing it wrong. Let me get this straight, we let Davis go, and now want to pick up a guy that want the same kind of money. Go figure. Well atleast I'll be in Maryland, it's true, misery loves company.

:doh:

I wanna know how Darnell Dockett is a perfect 2 gap player in your opinion. He doesn't have the size or the strength to stand up NFL guards, read and then react and still hold the line of scrimmage, from what I have heard and read about Mr. Dockett he's strengths are quickness and athleticism which would lend itself to quick penetration and a one gap system. Not the two gap system your are proclaiming. If you are looking for a 2-gap DT try Wilfork, Sopoaga, Olshansky, Tubbs, Siavii.

Secondly Portis may want similar money to Stephen Davis, but the difference is, Portis is worth the money and Davis was not. Also, Snyder won't be overpaying for Portis the way he did with Davis. Snyder learned you can't pay a player out of admiration. You need to stick what he's worth and don't go over that or you will screw with the cap. Look what he's doing with Champ. He said take it or leave it and well Champ is trying to find someone else to overpay him.

And one more thing, Stephen Davis wasn't let go because he made too much money. He was let go because Spurrier didn't want to use him. If Norv or Marty had been the coach the last two years, Stephen Davis would still be a Redskin.

Originally posted by NavyDave

I love Joe Gibbus Maximus the Coach but his skills of buying the groceries arent the same as just cooking them.

I still think we overpaid and I had no problem trading Portis to the Skins for Roland.

After bootup go to Rosters and make the trade.

Unless you are trying to do it during a franchise and have to try and match value for value. And in this case Madden believes Portis is more valuable than Champ, and evidently that's the way it seems in real life.

I could trade Rashad Bauman for Portis the way you did it.

as much as im happy that Gibbs has returned, im tired of people saying he knows what hes doing. Im not doubting Gibbs's decisions, but with all our past free agent splurges, we thought we knew what we were doing then also. Ramsey coulda been a starter, but we lose a 3rd round pick. We could get more for Bailey, but we lose a 2nd round pick. I still say we need those.

Originally posted by TheSchwartz

I wanna know how Darnell Dockett is a perfect 2 gap player in your opinion. He doesn't have the size or the strength to stand up NFL guards, read and then react and still hold the line of scrimmage, from what I have heard and read about Mr. Dockett he's strengths are quickness and athleticism which would lend itself to quick penetration and a one gap system. Not the two gap system your are proclaiming. If you are looking for a 2-gap DT try Wilfork, Sopoaga, Olshansky, Tubbs, Siavii.

Secondly Portis may want similar money to Stephen Davis, but the difference is, Portis is worth the money and Davis was not. Also, Snyder won't be overpaying for Portis the way he did with Davis. Snyder learned you can't pay a player out of admiration. You need to stick what he's worth and don't go over that or you will screw with the cap. Look what he's doing with Champ. He said take it or leave it and well Champ is trying to find someone else to overpay him.

And one more thing, Stephen Davis wasn't let go because he made too much money. He was let go because Spurrier didn't want to use him. If Norv or Marty had been the coach the last two years, Stephen Davis would still be a Redskin.

Ah you done stepped in it now! Last I checked Spurrier was mad that he didnt have a true feature back. That what he always had in FLA. Remember the guys like Eric Rhett, and Fred Taylor. So don't say Spurrier didnt want Davis. Secondly Davis made it to the big show. And the Panthers rode his back all the way. What did Portis lead the Broncos too? Come on now. Riddle me this, howmany corner backs are better than Champ, now how many Rb's are better than Portis? Which one is more valuable to us?

Originally posted by OURYEAR#56

Ah you done stepped in it now! Last I checked Spurrier was mad that he didnt have a true feature back. That what he always had in FLA. Remember the guys like Eric Rhett, and Fred Taylor. So don't say Spurrier didnt want Davis. Secondly Davis made it to the big show. And the Panthers rode his back all the way. What did Portis lead the Broncos too? Come on now. Riddle me this, howmany corner backs are better than Champ, now how many Rb's are better than Portis? Which one is more valuable to us?

amen to your last sentence our year.that is what i'm wondering. why are we giving so much??

finally getting to you huh, you were the one that started rplying to a nicelly toned thread by insulting me, so i replied back. you can dish it out but you can't take it. actually , i'm on the same team as you my friend. actually besides the end of kurt schotts tenure and lewis, they have not produced in years. my point here armchair, is we are losing more players on defense, and that is truely where we need the most help. champ will leave a huge hole. what will we do about dt's and de's this year? most of the guys on the dl are rejects from other teams. i think we could put a 1st and 2nd rd pick to work on this team. i fgibbs diid it with riggs and rogers, he can certainly do it with betts,trung or another fa rb. peace :cheers:

I never insulted you. I said "it doesn't have to make sense to you". That's not an insult. If it came across as one I apologize, it was not my intent.

No doubt we have needs on defense. I've never disputed it. My point was that we should all have a little faith that a man who has taken our team to the Superbowl on 4 different occassions and kept our team in contention the whole time he was in charge,. He may not have a magic wand, but he always seems to have a knack for winning.

I wouldn't worry too much about these moves so far hurting our chances to build a solid defense.

FYI...no one ever gets to me. It's nearly impossible to get me upset over the internet. ;)

It doesn't have to make sense to you. It has to make sense to Gibbs. He's the one in charge. None of us knuckleheads are.

Gibbs gave up draft picks for Rogers and Riggs (a 1st, and 1st & 2nd, respectively). Neither of those guys were even close to Portis in terms of talent. I'm sure if we could have avoided giving up the second round pick we would have. Gibbs wants a solid running back. Who else is on the market?

Don't worry about defense. It was one of the league's best all thru Gibbs' first tenure, and it will most certainly be no different this time around.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

u said everythin i was gonna say, now i can't post about this subject at all. Fudge-monkeys. anyhow...

Hey Art, i didn't know u had madden? I have ESPN, but if had Madden i'd play u in a heatbeat. :laugh: Put that up in the win column for me, that is unless u can play as well as u debate. :laugh:

----------------------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

I never insulted you. I said "it doesn't have to make sense to you". That's not an insult. If it came across as one I apologize, it was not my intent.

No doubt we have needs on defense. I've never disputed it. My point was that we should all have a little faith that a man who has taken our team to the Superbowl on 4 different occassions and kept our team in contention the whole time he was in charge,. He may not have a magic wand, but he always seems to have a knack for winning.

I wouldn't worry too much about these moves so far hurting our chances to build a solid defense.

FYI...no one ever gets to me. It's nearly impossible to get me upset over the internet. ;)

agreed, he has a knack for winnin. at any rate, it will be a very interesting football season. i can't say i agree with the offseason moves, but i hope vinny,danny, and joe prove me wrong. :dallasuck

Why are we giving up so much?

Roland's stats for 2003

16 games

9 passes defended

2 Int's

Pro Bowl

5 passes defended

1Int

Where was he during the season? No where to be found. He STUNK! There has never been a Redskin that I did not like, except for Chump Bailey. When he was beaten for the touchdown during the Pro Bowl, he was humiliated. He then played the rest of the game the way he is capable of playing. % passes defended with an interception. He has never been the stopper for the Redskins. For the past several years he has been the myth. We all have watched him get beat week after week. But hey, he is a shut down corner. Give me a break!

Will he get the job done in Denver? Only when he wants to. When do the Skins play the Broncos next? I know he will come to play then!

YOu ****ing retard dan snyder. since when are we over the cap or close to it?

the reason why gibbs is pursuing brunell, CP, kearse, a highly regarded CB and other free agents is because we can.

what, you think redskins front office are full of retards llike u?

u think they wake up one morning just decided to pursue these free agents without doing any homework?

Originally posted by skinsfanforlife

YOu ****ing retard dan snyder. since when are we over the cap or close to it?

the reason why gibbs is pursuing brunell, CP, kearse, a highly regarded CB and other free agents is because we can.

what, you think redskins front office are full of retards llike u?

u think they wake up one morning just decided to pursue these free agents without doing any homework?

hmm, another insulter, do i think they would pursue these free agents without doing their homework?? yes. please, keep the insults pointed towards your mama. thanks haha! glad i could get you going!!!hahahahaha!

get a clue u freakin retard.

joe gibbs is the greatest head coach of all tiime.

joe gibbs is a workahlic. he succeeds in everything he does. gibbs probably will put more thoughts into any moves he makes than any head coach or front office staffs out there. didnt u not hear about his legendary story about bringing sleeping bags to traninng camp site and not going home for days. always working over time ......

Spurrier wanted a feature back that was an all around back who could hit the proverbial home run ala Marshall Faulk (hence Trung Canidate) or even Clinton Portis. Someone that could do everything including running the draw plays and catching swing passes for big yardage. So Spurrier did not want Davis he wanted those RBs he had at Florida who could run and catch and had some shiftiness to them.

As for how many CBs are better than Champ, there are probably at least 6 maybe up to 10 depending on how you are grading them. On the other hand there might be only 3 or 4 RBs better than Portis right now. So for simplicity's sake let's say they are even in that regard.

Here's another way to look at it. How many CBs could the Redskins sign on March 3 that are if not as good as Champ pretty darn close to that level of ability. Now how many RBs could the Redskins sign that are even close to Portis' ability. In this case there are about 4 CBs that Snyder could sign on March 3 (for less money as well) that will perform for the Skins next year as well as Champ has and would perform. But there are 0 RBs available that could perform to the level of Clinton Portis.

Here's a little something from Scout's Inc. on ESPN Insider:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa

Free Agent Ratings:

90-100: Elite Player

80-89: Outstanding Player

75-79: Solid Starter

70-74: Good Starter

Kevan Barlow, 76 (already re-signed with SF)

Charlie Garner, 76

Correll Buckhalter, 73

Thomas Jones, 70

Chris McAlister, 81

Champ Bailey, 80

Troy Vincent, 80

Charles Woodson, 79

Bobby Taylor, 78

Antoine Winfield, 78

Shawn Springs, 75

Ahmed Plummer, 74

They don't have a rating for Portis because he isn't a free agent but according to the definitions on the site I would have to say he is atop 5 RB and would be somewhere around 90. Stephen Davis on the other hand would be around 80 and maybe in the high 70's. So there you have it, take it is you may.

Archived