Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ has been tagged...

SmootDawg21

...as our Franchise Player. No real surprises...

Champ has been tagged

WASHINGTON -- Joe Gibbs and Mark Brunell have spoken every day for the past week, a courtship that has become part of the Washington Redskins' trade negotiations for the quarterback.

"They've had daily discussions, which have greatly increased Mark's enthusiasm," Brunell's agent, Leigh Steinberg, said Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the Redskins designated four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey as their franchise player late Wednesday. The team had until Feb. 24 to make the designation, but made the move early because it became inevitable after contract talks reached a stalemate.

The Redskins have since given Bailey permission to pursue a trade. His agent, Jack Reale, plans to meet with representatives from several teams at this week's scouting combine in Indianapolis.

"We've got the ball rolling with several different teams," Reale said.

The franchise tag means the Redskins have made a one-year, $6.8 million tender to Bailey, which puts the team slightly over the salary cap. The team has to get under the cap by March 3, and they can do so by cutting players. Bruce Smith, who said he would retire after breaking the all-time sack record last season, heads the list of probable cuts.

The Redskins will also need to clear money to sign Brunell. Despite the constant contact between Coach Gibbs and Brunell, details for a new contract with the quarterback have yet to be worked out, according to Steinberg, who has been having his own talks with Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

"Dan Snyder and I have had a number of productive discussions, but no deal has been concluded," Steinberg said.

The Redskins are simultaneously having discussions with Brunell's current team, the Jacksonville Jaguars. Washington has offered a third-round draft pick for the quarterback, according to a source familiar with the negotiations and who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Jacksonville would like to trade Brunell because he is due to count $10.5 million against the salary cap next season. Byron Leftwich became the Jaguars' starter last season.

Several teams, including Miami, San Diego and Dallas, have expressed interest in a trade, but the Jaguars have given only the Redskins permission to talk directly with Brunell. Any team that trades for Brunell will want to give him a new contract to avoid the large salary cap hit.

The NFL's offseason trading period doesn't begin until March 3, but Steinberg said a tentative deal could be announced before then if terms are reached.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

I could speculate and say that there have been some offers for Champs services by a few teams, but those offers have been lacking or these teams believe the price is too high. As for the timing, why wait? If you're going to tag him, tag him now. This effectively sets the price of the trade for Champ. The team controls Champ's destiny here. Always has. This could easily be the team's way of saying we're not lettting you go so let's get a deal done. They have a year to do it now. If they chose. If a team wants to trade for Champ, the minimum price is there. let rumors and speculations about trades really get going now. :)

BTW. "Dan Snyder and I have had a number of productive discussions, but no deal has been concluded," Steinberg said

wow. from what I've been reading, the deal seemed to be pretty much already done. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Originally posted by bulldog

again, if the Lions are willing to give up that #6 pick and Shaun Rogers I think we ought to consider taking the deal.

Millen has had a hard-on for Bailey ever since the 2002 draft when he offered to trade the #3 pick overall for Bailey.

I agree. I especially don't want him to play next year here as a franchised player - I hope we unload him soon.

This is going to be a real test for the FO - Can they get real worth out of this trade? If it's the Lions, than at the very least their #1 and either their #2, Shaun Rogers, or next year's #1. Nothing less should be acceptable. Champ is worth two number ones.

Guess we have to start looking at DBs now. DeAngelo Hall? Chris Gamble?

BD

Leave Champ alone and resign him. DB is not a problem why make it one? Give the man his money and move on. No one on our defense had a good year why single Champ out as the problem? 2 #1's wont get the job done what happens if those 2 #1's turn out to be M. Westbrook and H. Shuler? We know what were getting with Champ why is he the problem?

Why is it a surprise that he was tagged so soon? He wasn't going to be extended to a long term deal since we had stopped talking to his agent, so he was definately going to be tagged at some point, so it makes no difference if it was today or 1 minute before the deadline.

Champ had to be tagged in order for us to get compensation from trading him. The fact that it was done today shouldn't be a surprise since we weren't negotiating a long term deal with Bailey.

mac, the team got shot down, apparently, in its latest offer to champ, which was extended to 9 years instead of 8. So I'm guessing that the team was in fact discussing a long term deal. As stated before, this effectively sets the price for Champ and the team is taking a well thought out calculated risk. The team stated in the past that they would like to have Champ stay around and be a Redskin. Franchising him included. Ok. they've done that. Allows them a year to negotiate a long term deal with him. If a team should put out the right offer, then the team can part ways with Champ and his cap hit and gain a few possibly quality players. A win win situation that has been stated here before on several threads.

As for the cap, well, the total has proven to be flexible to say the least.

December 31 2003

December 31 after L.A. restructure

And of course Clayton's newest total has the Skins sitting at $6.4

All this before possible cuts and more retstructuring. Oh. And of course the extra $2 mil that's being reported now.

:cheers:

Originally posted by bulldog

exactly my concern..........Bailey playing on a one year deal and sulking through the season not being as effective as he has been.

then the team really loses :(

I would expect him to play like he always has, he's a PRO! Plus his value could go down if he were to start sulking over a one-year, $6.8 million tender!

:cool:

What exactly do we gain by tagging him early? I can't figure out if a deal is more likely to happen or less likely to happen within the next week or so. Now that he's tagged, can't teams take the approach that they can wait until AFTER the draft to tender him an offer. That way we gain NO picks in this draft.

It seems that prior to the tagging we had a bit more leverage. Maybe it's just this stupid cold and I'm not thinking clearly.

Not sure what makes you think that we had more leverage before we tagged him? We were going to tag him no matter what, all this does is show teams that we are intent on keeping him for the tender and that we don't have to deal him unless teams make the right offer.

Archived