Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey has guts.......

Joey T

He was a holdout as a 'Skins' rookie.

He was a QB @ Tulane, behind a suspect line.

He took orders from a suspect HC (Spurrier).

He almost won the Howie Long award thing..........

My question is, does he have the juice(talent)to be a #1 QB in the NFL?

Three reasons I ask this question. IMHO:

1) He holds the ball too long, ala Rob Johnson(who is very phyisically talented also, strong arm, etc..)

2) He lacks the mobility required in todays game. I know, he was showing a LITTLE rollout to the right before he went down, but even Payton Manning seems more mobile at this point.

3) He did not seem to be able to 'read' the D and run Spurrier's offense. This could be a problem NOT of Ramsay's creation.

I only mention this because I firmly believe SS was so confused, he did not get the plays in to Ramsay in time for Ramsay to read the defense and make the audibles @ the LOS.

Any thought along these lines or just chip in...whatever!

I hope the camaraderie that Jansen & Ramsay have developed doesn't mean Jansen is unhappy with the 'Skins and would cause Jansen to leave us, if Ramsay were to leave.

It's just a business:laugh: ,NOT a sport anymore:doh:

The speculation on this board is really going overboard. We need to get back to what the board was originally created for and that was to bring together Washington Redskins fans from near and far to talk about our favorite football team in an educated manor, not ridiculous speculation of the same thing over and over and over and over and over again!!!

It is really annoying and I'm sure I speak for many people when I say this.

My response to your arguments:

1 - He was told to hold the ball and look downfield first. Spurrier changed the plays after Ramsey went out. I've heard this out of the mouths of both Pat and Tim.

2 - He does have mobility. Remember the 25 yard run in the Jets game? He showed mobility the first few games before the foot started bothering him too badly. We didn't know about the foot until after he went out.

3 - You are right on #3. Spurrier didn't know the defense, therefore could not have taught Pat to get a good presnap read.

This will certainly change with the new coaching staff. Pat is a very smart guy. He double majored at Tulane and graduated early while playing football! When taught what to see, he will react correctly.

Ramsey has the tools, the smarts, the attitude, and the work ethic to be great. He will be.

Please dear lord let this be the end of all of the chaos.

From today's WT

Redskins key on Brunell, Bailey

Ramsey, more at ease at Redskin Park than he was Wednesday after meeting with Gibbs, said he believes his coach.

"I don't know him the way a lot of people do around here, but one thing I do know is he's a man of integrity," Ramsey said. "All I've ever heard is that he's a man of his word. He told me it's going to be that way, and I believe that."

Gibbs' hope, according to team sources, is to get the two best quarterbacks he can. The coach still regards Ramsey as the future of the position but wants to have a starting-quality veteran, preferrably Brunell, to ensure that the team won't be derailed by injury at that spot.

Ramsey reiterated that he won't seek a trade if Brunell is signed, saying, "I want to play for Joe Gibbs. I want to play here. There's no question about that. The one thing anybody can get from this, I think, is I want to play here."

how about we stop nitpicking at the guy.

He holds the ball too long? LOL he was TAUGHT to do that AND he's a YOUNG QB. Sheesh, it's like they want you to be Johnny U on your first snap.

He WAS mobile or do you not remember the first quarter of the season. Even in the Eagles game he scrambled all over behind the LOS while looking for an open receiver, do you remember that?

Reading D? How do you know? I saw plenty of times he hit an open guy that then dropped the ball or was getting hammered and threw too high.

Exactly Sanders 83

I don't mind real opinions and dialogue, but why are we so quick to turn on our players?

Then we start fabricating weaknesses--well EVERY player has a weakness. Why not just cut trade every player on the team just because Gibbs is the one making the move? Why not shoot every player in the face because they blew an assignment once or looked out for their own well-being on the team and financially.

Sheesh, some of you guys are going to give me a stroke.

Originally posted by WallyG3

My response to your arguments:

3 - You are right on #3. Spurrier didn't know the defense, therefore could not have taught Pat to get a good presnap read.

This will certainly change with the new coaching staff. Pat is a very smart guy. He double majored at Tulane and graduated early while playing football! When taught what to see, he will react correctly.

actually even DW completed 60% in this offense in 2002.

So if DW could read the defense in that offense.. PR should have been able to.

TRUST IN GIBBS

It may seem sketchy that a new coach comes in and upsets the young qb, but keep the following in mind

1) He had Jay Schroeder ready to play upon the day Theismann went down

2) He had Doug Williams ready when Schroeder's carriage turned back into a pumpkin

3) He had Ryp and Stan Humphries going strong when Williams' back decided to give way

Gibbs may not understand the "cap" however he knows people and he knows that you CANNOT win in this league without two good qb's. He may be going after a high priced talent in Brunnell, however at 33 yrs...its pretty obvious he only has 2 maybe 3 years left in this league.

Ramsey may be upset by this move but it may be the best thing for his career to be pushed by a vet that has succeeded rather than tutored by never has beens (Matthews, Weurfle, R. Johnson). Come on Patrick...never mind what your agent says...you can win and prosper with this system...you might actually have had your career extended with the likes of Gibbs watching out for you...unlike Spurrier who almost killed you.

HAIL GIBBS!

Guest Xtrmskn04

He appears to hold the ball to long because 1) he wants to make plays and 2) the defense was getting to him very fast.

Gibbs has coached other QB's with little mobility to superbowls. Also, its not like PR can't run. Remember early in the season he had some very good runs.

In regards to not reading defenses well, this is a dumb argument in my opinion. Lets face it he was a second year QB asked to run an offense that was not designed well for the NFL, had lots of audibles and to me it was a sign of unbelievable bad coaching (not necessarily bad qb play).

Hey remember when Ramsey could still walk, we were 3-1 and he was atop the league in yardage.

Seeing the name misspelled in the title was bothering me ... this stuff is important, you know. :)

As to the substance of the initial post, I'd just caution against judging what Patrick's strengths and weakness are at this point without a major nod to the fact that he was basically playing as a rookie, and in what proved to be a disfunctional scheme given all the circumstances around it.

Personally, all I've really "decided" about the man is that he's tough enough to have played the better part of an NFL season on a broken foot, has a monster arm, seems to be a stand-up guy, and has an agent that doesn't mess around.

Oh yeah ... and that he has a loyal brother. :)

The rest of it -- stuff like whether or not "he holds the ball too long" I'm not going to start judging until this fall, when he has a chance to play in an offense that can find it's arse in the dark with both hands.

Originally posted by TK421 Homey G Slice

Please dear lord let this be the end of all of the chaos.

From today's WT

Redskins key on Brunell, Bailey

Hey TK, how much you wanna bet the media is gonna take that quote,

"The one thing anybody can get from this, I think, is I want to play here."

And say "Ramsey said he thinks he wants to play for the Redskins!! He's not happy."

And then how much you wanna bet, people on this board, are gonna believe it?

Originally posted by airSkins91

actually even DW completed 60% in this offense in 2002.

So if DW could read the defense in that offense.. PR should have been able to.

DW had been in the league for what 6 years by then :rolleyes: Plus had played 4 years in Spurriers system:doh:

Ramsey was reading the defense's extremely well for his level of experience, but as the season moved along defenses starteddisguising what they were doing to get Patrick to audible, it worked at first but Pat was catching on when he went down.

Learning to be a great NFL QB takes time and experience, it doesn't happen overnight.

Ramsey holds the ball a long time, because the routes are run deep, and he waits for the best possible moment to allow the WR time to break free. Before Ramsey hurt his foot, he was able to move enough to avoid sacks, and his feel of the rush and avoid the sack has been compared to Dan Marino. But after his foot limited him, by then teams where sending 20 people blitzing him.

Originally posted by joeskinsfan

Hey TK, how much you wanna bet the media is gonna take that quote, And say "Ramsey said he thinks he wants to play for the Redskins!! He's not happy."

That might make them sueable for libel. I don't know for sure, because I'm not a lawyer but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. :)

Originally posted by joeskinsfan

And then how much you wanna bet, people on this board, are gonna believe it?

How much you wanna bet that if/when that happens, they'll still be getting :hammer: by the few here with some common sense?

Originally posted by bubba9497

DW had been in the league for what 6 years by then :rolleyes: Plus had played 4 years in Spurriers system:doh:

Ramsey was reading the defense's extremely well for his level of experience, but as the season moved along defenses starteddisguising what they were doing to get Patrick to audible, it worked at first but Pat was catching on when he went down.

Learning to be a great NFL QB takes time and experience, it doesn't happen overnight.

Ramsey holds the ball a long time, because the routes are run deep, and he waits for the best possible moment to allow the WR time to break free. Before Ramsey hurt his foot, he was able to move enough to avoid sacks, and his feel of the rush and avoid the sack has been compared to Dan Marino. But after his foot limited him, by then teams where sending 20 people blitzing him.

:applause: Damn right Bubba! Took the words right outta my mouth!

BTW, thanks for the hypnotherapy ... :twitch: I will not believe stupid rumors, I will not believe stupid rumors, I will not believe stupid rumors :twitch:

Originally posted by bubba9497

DW's successes can also be attributed to having a pretty good running threat in the backfield. It's a different game altogether when your running backs are unproven, often injured, and arguably underutilized (and poorly utilized). Stephen Davis, when utilized at all, was a real threat- to the point that if you ran him once, and then had him on the field the next play, he was going to get attention. He was a known quantity, and defenses have to be geared to face him more often than not.

Archived