Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Gardner

gillherb

Honestly, I'm a big Skins fan, but I'm not going to lie. I don't know THAT much about him, I just know he was drafted in the first round of 2001 and has produced mediocre results under <<??>> (who was our qb in 2001 under marty?? jeff blake?? i sadly don't even remember) and ramsey with a little wuerrfel, matthews, and rob johnson scattered here and there. Anyway, I thought it would be insightful to look at a link to the 2001 draft and whom we could have chosen instead of him. That draft is the one when we got Gardner, Smoot, Rosenfels, McCants, and I don't know who else. Since hindsight is 20/20, take a look past our pick, even into later rounds, and take a look at what you see. Should we have chosen him?

http://football.about.com/library/weekly/aa041701.htm

Originally posted by gillherb

Honestly, I'm a big Skins fan, but I'm not going to lie. ..(who was our qb in 2001 under marty?? jeff blake?? i sadly don't even remember)

Sorry, no room on the bandwagon for you.

Jeff Blake :insane:

I didn't see where we had that bad of a draft that year. So we could have had Santana Moss over Rod Gardner, or Deuce Macalister (don't bother me for spelling please). The point being, Rod Gardner is a former 1000 yard reciever, I feel he will be again. He was in Marty's system a few years ago and then in Spurrier's system the last two years. Let's see what he can do in a system that is famous for having 1000 yard rushers and multiple 1000 yard recievers.

Rod Gardner has the potential to be one of the best #2 receievers in the league. He definately regressed last year though! Hopefully the WR coach from LSU can help Rod with his progress. Sure, I would have loved Chad Johnson in that draft knowing how good he is, but at least we didn't pick a David Terrell or Freddie Mitchell! For his position in the draft, definately not a bust definately not a boom.

Gardner is a solid number two receiver, a position type guy. Personally I think McCants has more upside, and wouldn't be upset to see the skins trade Gardner for more draft picks this year. Use McCants as the two receiver, and let Patrick Johnson and Taylor Jacobs fight over the third spot. That way we can fill some of our holes on the d-line and see if Jacobs can play.

Gardner is a solid number two receiver, a position type guy. Personally I think McCants has more upside, and wouldn't be upset to see the skins trade Gardner for more draft picks this year. Use McCants as the two receiver, and let Patrick Johnson and Taylor Jacobs fight over the third spot. That way we can fill some of our holes on the d-line and see if Jacobs can play.

Originally posted by cowboykilla

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind trading Rod for a low 2nd round pick and getting Rashaun Woods to replace him.

I don't even think we need to draft Woods to replace him. McCants is the same size as Gardner only faster, and has a nose for the endzone. Let him take the number two spot and use the pick you would get for Gardner on a defensive lineman.

Originally posted by galentjm

I don't even think we need to draft Woods to replace him. McCants is the same size as Gardner only faster, and has a nose for the endzone. Let him take the number two spot and use the pick you would get for Gardner on a defensive lineman.

Excellent idea. McCants could easily be as good as Gardner, if not better - that is if he gets the chance.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

McCants isn't faster than Gardner, I remember one of the coaches making a comment about that in some context.

McCants ran a 4.4 at the combine thats why we drafted someone from Delaware St. Gardner runs a 4.5. So while Gardner isn't as slow as many people make him out to be, he's not as fast as McCants.

What do some of you people expect? He is only going into his 4th year and he had 1000 yards in his 2nd. There aren't many number two WR's in the league better than him. I like McCants but he hasn't proven he can beat starting corners. Gardner is good and pretty cheap right now. Trading good, young players for picks is stupid. Most draft picks are busts. He just needs to cut back on stupid penalties and drops, which is quite possible.

Archived