Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is our rb on the roster already?

bsmsss

just wondering do we have our rb on the team right now

i remember the skins had no name rbs skip hicks and stephen davis--the skins opened up the compitition between the 2 in july for the starting job--well davis won the job and the rest was history

maybe if we open the comp between betts,candiate,morton,satan mcclough,rock we just might find another stephen davis

just a thought

I agree, we gotta see what Betts can do. This year was just horrendous for everyone really. He did pretty well in relief of Stephen Davis a couple years ago. Betts had the freak injury this year, broken forearm because a helmet hit it. That's not like a Trung Canidate injury where he sprains his ankle when a linebacker looks at him.

bsmss - You're absolutly right, we could easily have our RB already on the roster. I'm trusing the new regime to see everything they need to know studying film.

One thing I DO KNOW is that we've GOT to fix the D-LINE!

No doubt about it!

Originally posted by fish

bsmss - You're absolutly right, we could easily have our RB already on the roster. I'm trusing the new regime to see everything they need to know studying film.

One thing I DO KNOW is that we've GOT to fix the D-LINE!

No doubt about it!

Noooooooo we must draft Taylor!! He's awesome!

Just kidding. I can't believe people want to use our #5 on a SAFETY, when we've got nothing but crap at dline.

Originally posted by Blue_chill

satan? We have the dark lord on our roster? :laugh:

:lol:

I was hoping no one else caught that...

HAHAHAHA!

You stole my joke1

Well I hate to break it to ya, but Betts is junk. Our Best bet would be to use Canidate and Cartwright and take Qunicy Wilson in the 3rd or 4th round out of WVU.

Here something to think about

All I'm, saying about Canidate is this. Not that people don't sometime change but..to date.He gets hurt to much He goes down to easy, no after first hit yardsHe was a fumbler.He isn't going to last long with Gibbs if this is all he has. Gibbs won't stand for it and JG isnt star struck. Knowing talent and knowing what Joe likes, if they went in with what they have... Betts or Rock start. I like Rock over Betts. He has shown me more toughness, after hit yard, quick feet, spin moves and speed. I really think this kid can do great things given a chance. I was saying the same thing about Davis before he ever got a real chance.

Morton will be the 3rd down back and take some regular snapes. Canidate doesn't give you anything you can't get out of Rock and Morton. These are the 2 Gibbs guys. They have the heart. There my be some hope for Betts, but he has to show it. I rank him 3rd. Out for that many games with a forearm. Put a rap on it and get out there. Rock would never have sat out. Betts has always gotten special treatment because he was the higher draft pick. Honestly, I like Watson over Betts. I think we got ride of the wrong player

Speed may be overrated, but Canidate has more of it then the others.

( Speed is great, but speed and quickness along with the ability to break tackles is much more important. Try to remember how fast and quick Morton was when he ran. I can’t honestly say he is much slower then Canidate. Morton is only a step slower and less quick then Coles. Coles blows my mind he’s so fast. He’s on anther planet. Rock’s ability to break tackles while still being fast and quick, far outweighs his slower speed.

He can take it inside and out. This is what you need in a starting RB.

Canidate doesn’t pass this test so he’s not a starting RB in a Gibbs system. He could qualify for a 3rd down back. 3rd down RBs need to be someone who can catch a pass, have good to great speed and can take it to the outside or run a draw. Comparing Morton and Canidate for this position, I give the edge to Morton for the following reasons. He has the great speed, great moves, good hands and can break tackles. If Canidate has the edge in speed it doesn’t outweigh the fact that he can’t break tackles, and get hurt all the time. When I add into the mix the character gut feeling I have about both as players, Morton wins again. Additionally, Canidate makes way to much money to justify any unique superior talent over the rest. He is expendable out of this group.

Rock and Betts with Morton and a3rd down Ricky Ervin type back. Plus Morton fills 2 roles with one roster spot. RB and PR.

Canidate, Trung RB 5-11 205 03/03/1977 4

Morton, Chad RB 5-8 203 04/04/1977 4

Cartwright, Rock FB 5-7 223 12/03/1979 2

Jamal Lewis 5-11 235

Ahman Green 6-0 217

LaDainian 5-10 221

McAllister 6-1 221

Portis 5-11 205

Fred Taylor 6-1 232

Stephen Davis 6-0 230

Alexander 5-11 225

Holmes 5-9 213

Ricky Williams 5-10 228

Henry 5-9 215

Look at the size to weight ratio of the top 11 rushers from last year. You have a range of speed and power. Only Portis is the same size and weight of Canidate. Everyone else packs more weight and power into the frame they have. Morton and Cartwright included. Dude needs to get tougher, heavier and stronger if he wants to stick around on this team.

There is no one on our roster that fits the Riggins/Rogers/Riggs/Byner role on this roster. Betts nor Canidate remotely remind me of this kind of back who can tough it out in a single back formation for 16 games.

Morton will stick because he definitely reminds me of Joe Washington or Ricky Ervins for a change of pace back.

But in a word, no.

I read something before that the Redskins drafted Betts because they were aiming at Clinton Portis.. and when Clinton was not on the board no more, they panicked and took Betts which was not worth a 2nd round grade...

I'm not very high on Betts, he's already proved last year that he was not tough and cannot handle 25 carries a game that Gibbs will demand from his running backs.

Sultan is just an experiment, he just had a couple good runs against backup defenses and everyone on this board was so high on him... There must be a reason why he did not play as much because of his poor blocking and I believe in Gibbs offense, he expects EVERYONE to block well.

Chad is the Brian Mitchell of the group, 3rd down back at best

Trung is not fit to be an everydown back, although the skins boasted about his "homerun" potential which we did not see, however.. he did show me some toughness on couple of plays where he took linebackers head on and flattened them..

I don't really know who else we have but I don't think we have an everydown caliber running back with our group, I definatly think we need to get Corey Dillon or else he will be with Dallas and we all do not want that..

Originally posted by Vegas Baby

I agree with you guys...I think that a guy like Betts can be the man. Don't give up on a 2nd round pick already. Its going to be an interesting off-season.

I also believe that we have biffer needs than RB

Betts hasn't been able to be healthy, that I don't like.

Betts could be a starter, but of course we don't know that yet. Don't hate on Canidate though. He very well could be a great undersized third down back a la Kelvin Bryant or Joe Washington. Gibbs is looking for character guys first...and I have met Trung a number of times and he got a bad rap with Martz in St. Louis. Sure I'm a little biased, but I don't think we should just give up on him already. I can picture him running counter trey's and breaking big gains on screen passes.....and don't forget about one of Gibbs' favorite plays, the reverse to Clark....I mean Coles!!!!

I can't imagine Canidate making the roster. If he couldn't make it big in Spurrier's spread the field offense, how will he do it Gibbs's grind it out O? He is a speed guy who doesn't have the elusiveness to get into the open on his own. He runs straight ahead, and it there is a big hole, he can fly. Otherwise, he's done. He also doesn't have the hands or shiftiness to be a third down back. I give McCollough, with his hands and speed, a much better shot at making it than Trung.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Like I said on another thread, every RB on the roster deserves a second chance under Gibbs.

Why??

Betts didn't even show up for meetings. Candidate is not a starter. Rock is good but he is not a guy that can handle 25 carries a game.

Now I think Betts could be a good backup but not a stater he is not dependable.

#1: I'm a Rock fan. (Although, I confess, I'm not a Rock expert.)

#2: Lord know we've got quantity at that position.

But, let's face it, folks, none of our RBs really got a lot of use last year, and all of them got hurt.

(Granted, that may have been luck, or it could have been because our offense stank.)

Now, if, Coach Gibbs looks at some film, tries some things in camp, and says he likes Rock, too, then well, I won't float around the office for days like I did when Joe Came Back, but it'd be OK.

Lord knows there's enough other holes that we won't be complaining about not needing all these draft picks.

Archived