Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: New Channel for Redskins

bubba9497

New Channel for Redskins

Friday, January 30, 2004; Page D06

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61498-2004Jan29.html

WUSA-TV-9 is the new home for Washington Redskins preseason football.

The Gannett-owned CBS affiliate has a "handshake deal" with the Redskins to telecast preseason games beginning this summer, according to an industry source.

No terms of the deal were made available and WUSA General Manager Darryll Green offered no comment. An official announcement is expected next week.

WRC-TV-4 has broadcast the preseason games for the past five years. General Manager Michael Jack could not confirm that his station's agreement with the Redskins had ended, but acknowledged that this year's preseason games would conflict with NBC's coverage of the Olympics in August. WRC is owned by NBC.

"The reason all this is happening is that we have the Olympics," Jack said.

WRC will continue to air its various Redskins-related programs during football season including "Redskins Report," a coach's show and "Redskins Game Day."

The Redskins have not yet announced their preseason schedule, which gets underway in August.

Channel 9 also had no word on who would call the games for the station. Frank Herzog, the station's main sports anchor, would seem likely but faces a conflict with his radio gig on WJFK-FM, where he's teamed with Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff.

-- John Maynard

The Washington Redskins are moving their preseason games across the television dial.

Darryll Green, president and general manager of WUSA-TV (Channel 9), confirmed yesterday that the CBS affiliate will broadcast the team's four preseason games this summer. "We have a handshake deal," Green said.

A formal announcement will be made Tuesday, the WUSA chief said, declining to provide further details. "We're doing this as a partnership with the Redskins, so we'll announce it together," he said.

The announcing lineup for the preseason games has not been determined. WUSA's chief sportscaster, Frank Herzog, has called Redskins games on the radio with Sam Huff and Sonny Jurgensen, a WRC-TV (Channel 4) regular, since 1981.

Wooing the Redskins away from NBC affiliate WRC, which has aired the preseason games in recent years, is considered a coup for WUSA, which has struggled in recent years to improve its sports coverage.

WRC was unable to air the games this year because two of them will conflict with NBC's coverage of the Summer Olympics, according to Michael Jack, the station's president and general manager.

WRC is expected to air a weekly show featuring Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, although that deal has not been made final, Jack said.

"We've had a successful relationship with the Redskins for many years, and we look forward to continuing it," he said.

Redskins spokesman Karl Swanson was in Houston for Super Bowl XXXVIII and could not be reached for comment.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20040129-112148-8110r.htm

This sucks. I bought a ku sattelite system so I could pick up the truck feeds from the stadium for preseason games. It has worked great with the past couple of years. I hope these new guys broadcast on the same sattelite. Directv needs to add the preseason to Sunday ticket.

Agree 100% hate trying to find a preseason game on when i am out of town. For as much as season ticket costs they should throw that in as a bonus. Especially since i am only really interested in the Redskins games most of the time anyway. I could care less about seeing a Detroit vs. Chicago game on any week of the season; even the Skins bye week.

Originally posted by SoCalSkins

This sucks. I bought a ku sattelite system so I could pick up the truck feeds from the stadium for preseason games. It has worked great with the past couple of years. I hope these new guys broadcast on the same sattelite. Directv needs to add the preseason to Sunday ticket.

Preseason games are supposed to be a part of sunday ticket this upcoming season.

Originally posted by Trevor

Preseason games are supposed to be a part of sunday ticket this upcoming season.

That is not correct Sunday Ticket will not include any preseason games. The NFL Network will have tape delays of all the preseason games this summer. I want my Skins live.

Archived