Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cable companies picking up NFL Network

Drakkhim

I work for Charter Communications, and we launched the NFL Network in Connecticut and we should be expanding to other areas very soon. I haven't heard of any other cable companies carrying it, but this is a good thing for people that can't get the DirecTV football. I can't wait until after the 2004 season, cause that's when the NFL's contract with DirecTV ends and they've stated that they don't want to be exclusive anymore and that they want cable companies to pick it up.

I'll get to watch all of the Redskins games in 2005, baby... the projected Super Bowl year! :)

DirecTV jusy re-uped their agreement with the NFl for another 5 years. This past season being the 1st of the five. That's why the rates went up so much. It's DirectV's for another 4. I wouldn't be surprised if it stays another 5 after that since Murdoch (Fox) just bought it.

NFL And DirecTV Extend Agreement For Five Years 12-11-02

http://www.independentcable.com/compnews.html

The National Football League and DirecTV have announced a five-year agreement to extend and expand DirecTV's exclusive rights to carry NFL Sunday Ticket, the package that delivers up to 14 games each week during the NFL season. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed. According to DirecTV, the agreement includes a commitment to expand services, including the launch of the NFL Channel on DirecTV as early as next year. The NFL Channel will be “the first year-round television programming service dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football.” DirecTV will continue to have exclusive satellite television rights to NFL Sunday Ticket through 2007 and exclusive multichannel television rights through 2005. In addition, the new agreement gives DirecTV the opportunity to offer Sunday Ticket subscribers exclusive enhanced technical innovations, including high-definition game telecasts, viewer-selected cameras and replays, and other advanced digital technology.

Thank God for DirecTV - I have had it since the first year:dallasuck

Our cable prices went up, too. About $2-$3 if you have just analog services. Our digital packaging didn't go up at all. What's killing some cable companies, including ours is programming costs for other networks. Networks like ESPN, ABC, and a few others have a lot of power when it comes to naming their price to cable companies regarding how much we have to pay them for their services. This last rate increase that we had was probably 75% due to this and it stinks. :(

MUTHERFUGGIN A-HOLES?!?

Why the hell would the NFL sign such a deal?

Don't they realize that not everyone can have a satellite? Don't they know how much MONEY they'd have made had they had a cable agreement like ESPN or NBA Full Court or whatever?

NHL, MLB and NBA all have cable deals so that fans can watch other games--why didn't the NFL get in on that train?

You think if I'm sitting at home on a Sunday in Seattle I'm not going to pay money to watch the Skins? COME ON!??

NFL would get a lot more viewers and a lot mroe money if they had a multi-media deal.

The article quoted above was in 12/02... I swear that I read online that the deal was ending after the 2004 season and that they didn't want to be DirecTV exclusive. I'm gonig to have to try and dig this up. I get really tired of watching the Browns, Steelers, and Cowboys in my area. I just can't imagine paying for even the smallest DirecTV package with the NFL package. I'd be paying $50 or so a month for the months that I had it, and then $150 for the NFL, and then another $150 when I terminate my services.

Originally posted by SkinsFanInTX

NFL And DirecTV Extend Agreement For Five Years 12-11-02

http://www.independentcable.com/compnews.html

DirecTV will continue to have exclusive satellite television rights to NFL Sunday Ticket through 2007 and exclusive multichannel television rights through 2005.

The story says DirecTV has satellite rights until 2007. It says It has exclusive multichannel television rights through 2005. If I'm reading this right the multichannel agreement ends in 2005, which means cable could get NFL Sunday Ticket after 2005.

Originally posted by Drakkhim

I just can't justify getting a DirecTV subscription just so that I can watch football. Bleah...

That's the only reason why I have DirecTV instead of Cox Cable.

Plus it gives you a reason why you must watch football on Sundays.

"But honey, we're paying all this money for satellite so that I can watch the game, and you want me to rake leaves instead? That's throwing our money away!"

DirecTV is almost free at this point as far as equipment and setup. If you buy it around the time of NFL ticket you will get around 4 months of Platinum programming free for the purchase of NFL ticket (Been that way for the last 3 years I think). I bought a dish on that promotion and pay for Sunday Ticket when the time comes. In the off-season I use cable instead and don't have any DirecTV programming. In fact, I asked them this year if I was required to purchase anything other than Sunday Ticket to watch the games and was told no. So in reality, all you're looking at is the initial investment in the dish/receiver and the cost of Sunday Ticket. It's worth it!

Yeah, like redskns56 said, you can get Sunday Ticket only! You don't have to have a programing package as well. NFL Network is inculded in the Sunday Ticket Package -- for the entire year. If you renew your subscription early, with the "Early Bird Special" you can save $20 I believe. I think that makes it about $180 for the year. $12 to see MY REDSKINS! Are you kidding me I don't think twice about that.

The TIVO is a little on the spendy side, but I strongly suggest one of those as well. Now it the price on those DVD burners would come down a little I'll be set.

HTTR

Archived