Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pastabelly on the hiring of Greg Blache

goldenster95

Wednesday, January 21, 2004

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Washington Redskins: Veteran assistant coach Greg Blache, one of the most candid and effective defensive coordinators in the NFL during a five-year stint with the Chicago Bears, has reached an agreement to become the Washington Redskins' defensive line coach.

The addition of Blache, 54, is considered a coup for Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, who is close now to finalizing his staff. Gibbs is also pursuing another former defensive boss, Dale Lindsey, for the position of linebackers coach.

Blache is a non-nonsense coach whose outspoken demeanor has often gotten him into some sticky situations, but there is no denying his abilities or passion for the game. He was a defensive line coach in the league for 11 seasons, six years in Green Bay (1988-93) and five with Indianapolis (1994-98), before joining coach Dick Jauron's staff in Chicago in 1999. He was cut loose by the Bears after Jauron's dismissal.

It is believed Blache's contract with the Redskins will make him one of the highest paid defensive line aides in the NFL. A year ago, Blache was a finalist for the San Francisco head coach job, which eventually went to Dennis Erickson.

Lindsey, 61, has not yet agreed to join Gibbs, but a deal is said to be imminent. He was dismissed by San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer earlier this month after a season in which the Chargers surrendered the second-most points in the league.

A 16-year league veteran, Lindsey was principally a linebackers coach until he was hired by the Chargers in 2002 to fill the coordinator's role. This would mark Lindsey's second stint with the Redskins, where he previously coached 1997-98.

The Redskins had hoped to hire a pair of Buffalo assistants, linebackers assistant Don Blackmon and defensive line coach Tim Krumrie, both of who served under then-Bills head coach Gregg Williams, now the defensive coordinator in Washington. But the Bills announced Wednesday that Blackmon will remain with the team and Krumrie also is expected to be retained by rookie head coach Mike Mularkey.

Sources said that Washington has finalized a deal with DeWayne Walker to be its new secondary coach and that former Cleveland Browns tailback Earnest Byner is expected to serve as running backs coach on Gibbs' staff.

The most intriguing of those moves, IMO, is Earnest Byner. Does he actually have any coaching experience or will he be working with Don Breaux?

I can see Byner leading by example and working on technique with our backs because he could do it all. He was shiftier than he looked when running the ball. He could run between the tackles or bounce outside. He was a very good receiver and blocker as I recall so I feel like he could get right in the middle of things and teach.

former Cleveland Browns tailback Earnest Byner is expected to serve as running backs coach on Gibbs' staff.

dont you think that he would point out that he's a former Washington Redskins tailback, since he is coming back to our team??

And thats probably the reason why he's coming back, because he played for us???

Maybe Pasta Belly doesnt know that.

Originally posted by Jimbo

The most intriguing of those moves, IMO, is Earnest Byner. Does he actually have any coaching experience or will he be working with Don Breaux?

From what I understand, Byner has no coaching experience and has been advising the Ravens (?) front office on personnel matters since he retired 5-6 years ago. I'm sure that Breaux will be working with Byner on coaching the backs.

Originally posted by Skins26

dont you think that he would point out that he's a former Washington Redskins tailback, since he is coming back to our team??

And thats probably the reason why he's coming back, because he played for us???

Maybe Pasta Belly doesnt know that.

Yeah, thats where I'd put my money.

Archived