Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any soccer fans in the house?

Chrisbob74

can't say that i'm a big fan, though I have been known to watch a little, there are quite a few fans here on Extreme. The World Cup was a good example. Few more examples there too. Take a look at the search page and click on Cup.

:cheers:

Er.....watch out for Navy Dave. To say he's not a fan would be an understatement.

Chrisbob74.........I'm a big soccer fan, especially international soccer. I follow the Italian Serie A league, and am a big supporter of Juventus. Can't wait for Euro 2004 this coming summer. Should be a great tournament. Forza Italia !!!!! Time to get even for the heartbreaker in the finals of Euro 2000 vs. France.

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

Hey guys,

Any soccer fans on here? I'm in the UK so I'm a Liverpool fan (my home town team).

Oh, a Scouser, eh? Chelski fan myself.

"Sign on, sign on, with a pen in your hand,

And you'll never get a job,

You'll never get a job,

Sign on, sign on."

Having said that, :cheers: mate!

Bah, soccer...

the only soccer I'll watch is if Team USA is in the World Cup, and I know no one on that team...

When I watch soccer I can feel the life being pulled from me... Where's all the contact? Where's all the hits that make you go "ohhhh" and "ahhhh"?

Damn those stupid yellow and red cards those refs hold up...

Now rugby, despite me knowing nothing about it... THAT'S a sport!

We're here, Chrisbob ... we just mostly don't advertise much, because so blasted many yanks can't seem to resist taking the same old tired cheap shots at the game.

Those of us that do love it just smile and carry on, because we know better. And because it makes 'em crazy. :)

Spent about 10 years of my youth in S. America ... learned and played and came to love the game. Was in Chile when they made their appearance in Munich '74 and the country quite literally came to a standstill. Was in Buenos Aires leading up to '78, but moved just prior to seeing them win it all. Had friends there that wrote to me at great length about it ... I can barely even imagine what the mood on the street must have been. Will always regret missing it.

Since then ... mostly it's been watching the USA program slowly go from utter afterthought, to easy target and laughingstock, to ranked in the Top 15 in the world and that shocking, sterling World Cup quarterfinal appearance in '02.

I have no great illusions about the game's future in this country -- it's fighting a major uphill battle -- but I am thrilled that the MSL has at least stabilized, and may continue to provide a training and proving ground for the vast resource in young talent we have. The games' growth curve is definitely still in the ascendancy here, and I have high hopes that will continue for at least another decade or so.

What US soccer truly needs is a Michael Jordan to come along and raise the game here to a new level, and shut most of the gigglers up -- it'll never get them all, but it doesn't have to -- and make the sport acceptable for guys in corner bars to talk about without feeling like their friends will question their manhood. Who knows, maybe young Freddy Adu is that man -- er, boy. But even if not, there's good reason to expect that from the millions of youngsters playing the game here, and the growing nationally sponsored training programs, one or two will emerge. Seems to me the odds practically guarantee it.

Meanwhile, many of us will be watching with great interest and anticipation. And most of us will TRY to resist reminding the former gigglers - who will suddenly talk as if they knew it all along - from whence they came. :)

Hmmm... Nope, still don't like soccer... Good post though, Om.

I respect everyone else's opinions on the sport, however mine will always be the same no matter how popular it may get... it's not my game.

More power to those of you who do like it, however.

like most south koreans.. i get really excited for soccer when World Cup stuff comes around... hey you guys liked our performance during the World Cup few years back... even with those questionable calls by the refs... you need to work you arse off to put yourself in a position to get lucky... lets hope SK can get to the playoff round again to prove that we arent as big of a fluke as rest of the world think we are...

Interesting take Om, it's almost the reverse of the idea that people in the UK have of "American" Football.

All they can say ir "why the pads?, they don't wear them in rugby!!" (which is false, they do!) and it takes to long etc etc. Most NFL fans over here are hardcore, being following since it was first shown in the early 80's (one of the reasons the 'Skins are so popular).

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys, if you don't like soccer, no worries, I can understand it ain't everyones "cup of tea". All I'd say is that if it ever did take off big time in the US, they could dominate the world of soccer.

Look at the US womens team...untouchable!!

Never big fan of it. I do know that soccer is getting huge in the US. So many kids play it nowdays. When I was growing up we did not have soccer in the rec. leagues. If we did, I might have played it...who knows? But to the people who do watch it, more power to you. To each there own.

Huge fan. Ive been known to watch meaningless international friendly's on Spanish TV. I root for DC and Man U. Man U because a High School teammate of mine was from Manchester and got all of us into it. DC because it;s the old hometown. Went to lots of Diplomats games and even a few "Team America" or whatever they called the amateur team that played in NASL.

I was up all night during the last world cup and am going to Costa Rica for the next WC Qual Hex (assuming both teams make ti that far).

I even had the bartended switch one of the TVs on Sunday to the US/Denmark match. (There were still plenty on the AFC Champ game).

The activity known as organized rioting and mayhem hasn't been purged from society yet and it looks like unless we get serious about homeland security we will be plagued by its existence for a while.

Soccer is like that kernel of corn caught between your back teeth that you just cant remove and there arent any toothpicks available.

Archived