Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Bruce Smith return?

Chrisbob74

Don't all rip my head off with "No way, I hate that guy" type replies just yet, when this question has come up before I'm usually the first to chip in with a "No way".

My thinking is this, we still have heard no word about what Smith intents to do, in other words, he has not announced his retirement. Now, he has seen what has happened and says "Wow, now we do have a real chance of winning here" (though he may have said the same thing about Spurrier, but even he will know this is on a different level). Does he talk to Snyder and Gibbs and say "hey, I'll come back, if you want me" and what response would he get. Even with some of Smiths antics in the past I'm sure Gibbs has a lot of respect for what Smith has done in the past and we are a young team that could use some veteran leadership.

Of course, if he really means it and does want to come back there is the problem of his hugh cap figure/salary for next season. He only comes back if he takes a pay cut to the vets minimum with maybe a couple of incentives thrown in.

Would he return for the vet minimum if he did want to come back?

I still think he'll retire, and I think that would be best, but I bet the Gibbs hiring made him think a lot harder about this decision and it can't be ruled out.......discuss.

Smith is done. Period. He's lost too much speed and explosiveness to be effective. He got the sacks he did this season due to veteran savvy, luck and fumes. I'm sure in reviewing film, Gibbs and co. will recognize this immediately.

Unlike a lot around here, I like the guy, but no thanks.:ciao: Bruce

I think Bruce, beyond all other reasons, knows that he just can't contribute at the level he wants to.

I think he knows its time to hang them up and retire as the stud everyone remembers him to be. 200 sacks in a career.

After Gibbs and Williams study the film of his play this year, it is unlikely that they would elect to keep him. If he wanted to come bbck, he might be cut in training camp though. What an inglorious way to go out for a future HOFer. I don't think Bruce would risk that. He got what he wanted... the record. He didn't really want the ring (at least not last year)

If Bruce is allowed to play next year, I think it would be a major step back for this new regime, and a sign that we have not made the improvements necessary to move forward; if we cannot find a more talented DE than Bruce Smith at his age and diminished skills, we will still have a SUCKY pass rush; also, his biggest liability is that he rushes 5 yards outside contain most every time, and the QB can either scramble over his his vacated side, or a running back can run through the monster-sized hole that HE HAS CREATED! A selfish player he has become; didn't used to be when with the Bills, but that was a different era.

Archived