Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ramsey may not start

bsmsss

Originally posted by scottb

Good point Art about Spurrier. In our haste to dismiss and defile him, lost is the fact that Spurrier significantly helped Ramsey develop into an NFL QB.

That is true, he did 2 good things.

1 helped Patrick become a NFL QB

2 left Washington! :thumbsup:

Just to add to my previous post - I also strongly and firmly believe that Ramsey should be our starter. I think he has shown that he has what it takes to be a champion.

I just don't think Spurrier did that much to help him recognize NFL defenses. I'm sure he did help him out a lot with fundamentals and stuff.

I'm positive he will not only blossom, but go into full bloom under coach Gibbs.

DH,

I'd argue the fact that as defenses adjusted to us and seemed to know everything we were doing -- jumping our routes, scheme specifically against Ramsey and the offense we were running having figured out both -- Ramsey didn't make an incredible number of mistakes despite this is a sign of vast growth from a very young QB.

What you DID see however, was Ramsey seeming to "think" more out there. He was recognizing what was happening and instead of just naturally knowing what to do he seemed to have to process -- ok, if I see this I look there -- what he was to do next. That recognition will become second nature over time. But for him to visibly know how to avoid big mistakes and generally make smart decisions with the ball is a tribute to Spurrier's QB coaching, if little else is a tribute to Spurrier.

It's not like Ramsey was protected either. He was exposed in a QB-driven offense as the key. He wasn't managed like a normal young QB might be to limit mistakes. He was given the keys and left to cruise and while he didn't play as well as teams adjusted, he remained a positive in what was decidedly not a positive year.

The ONLY advantage to having Brunell is that he is more mobile than Ramsey.

The Idea the Ramsey is inexperiences is non-sense. Ramsey saw pretty much everying thing in his sophomore season. I think that all the he went through would classify him ad a battle scared veteren by now.

You can't deny his toughness, and grit.

Sure Gibbs might perfer a guy with more experience, but he won't put that idea ahead of winning.

I think Coach Gibbs has his mind made up, that Ramsey is his man.

i think ramsey has earned a shot just for the number of hits he took during the season. also i don't know what people are talking about saying ramsey doesn't know what he's doing out there. i think he did very well. from the pressure he was getting from about every play, i don't see how he didn't also lead the league in fumbles and interceptions. this guy is for real. spurrier said that ramsey was doing everything he asked him to do. i'm sure he'll do the same for gibbs.

Ramsey will not be given the starting job without earning it, but anyone can see he is coming into his prime years, and he has some experience under his belt, and has the work ethic, intellegence as well as the talent that Gibbs will love.

Remember Gibbs hasn't worked with Ramsey yet, hasn't followed Skins games closely, so there will be an ajustment period to see what he can do... but by Training camp, He will be Gibbs' guy.

Art's point is a good one. I saw both Dallas games, one of which featured Ramsey and one Hasselbeck. Leaving the pressure aside, I was mystified by the fact that the receivers were often blanketed and there was rarely a nice hole to deliver the ball in. I just chalked it up to Parcells' brilliance--that is, until I watched the Carolina/Dallas playoff game. The contrast was extraordinary, as Carolina again and again schemed their receivers wide open against the Dallas D. Of course I love Jake Delhomme, but I've seen him enough in college and with the Saints to know what I'm getting. I'm getting a guy who needs some space to fit the ball in there. And in that playoff game, there he was getting that space, time and again, and sometimes a whole lot of it. And this from John Fox, hardly a renowned aerial genius in the Spurrier mold.

OMG!:mad:

Why are people still harping on the subject of Gibbs having vet QBs and that posing a problem for Ramsey? Ramsey is a good player, he's got a lot of experience under his belt, not to mention talent. Sure he made some mistakes this season, he was timid at times, but give Gibbs some time to teach him the ropes, he'll be ready to go. He's got more talent, poise and intelligence than some vet QBs have. Some of you have no faith in Ramsey, I do. I've seen enough from him this season and last season to believe that PRam can take the 'Skins to the next level. You cannot base someone's talent level on experience, you base it on their ability to execute an objective efficiently and effectively. I definitely believe that Ramsey will not be given a free ride during preseason, he will have to work as hard as anyone else on this team, and whether he wins or loses the starting job is all up to him. But for right now he's our starter, and I believe in him!

BE,

After that game Coles came flat out and said the Cowboys knew everything we were doing. That they were jumping all of our routes and were very, very, very well prepared for us. It happened time and again to Spurrier after the opening round of coaching tape went out. Teams just were on to us and we had no answer.

Given this, I was impressed with Ramsey's ability to limit the negative play more than I was upset by his inability to create the big play given the circumstances.

Originally posted by bsmsss

joe loves vet qbs

heck he had qbs stored away on ir till they were ready--joe t ,schroder,humpries etc

if brunnell comes or a vet comes ramsey may not start

it will be interesting

Gibb's has mentioned that Brunnel doesn't fit into his offense because he is a lefty.

Archived