Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A sign we simply don't have the right players now.

Art

I liked Samuel's response, which was replayed over the airwaves yesterday. He said that all he knew about Gibbs was that he was the one who had won those 3 trophies and that that proved that he was a winner.

I submit many may be fearful of having jobs after Gibbs & Co watch the tapes of the last two years. Hustling & absolute abandonment is not something the the Skins have had an overabudence of. But many as was mentioned before are too young to appreciate what Joe Gibbs & Co. can bring to the Skins and the individual player. A serious attitude adjustment is going to be in order for many on this team and it's about time.

I submit many may be fearful of having jobs after Gibbs & Co watch the tapes of the last two years. Hustling & absolute abandonment is not something the the Skins have had an overabudence of. But many as was mentioned before are too young to appreciate what Joe Gibbs & Co. can bring to the Skins and the individual player. A serious attitude adjustment is going to be in order for many on this team and it's about time.

I think Om is dead on. When you read Jon Jansen's articles, you hear him talking about what he "deserves" because of what he has done in the league. Jansen was "offended" that Spurrier would try to run a pass oriented offense because Jansen has put in what ever it is he's put in and he deserves to be able to run the ball.... (rolling eyes big time).

Today's players are different and they have that sense of entitlement that Om speaks of. That's what I don't like about todays players. I love the Old School guys that live and die as a team, that pack their lunches (so to speak) and put in a workman like performance. I hope Gibbs makes an example of some of these guys and gets the message across.

Out of all the interviews, none of the players have been in awe of Gibbs and his legend. That's what Gibbs is working against. He's not going to get instant respect that he deserves from todays clowns.

I think Om is dead on. When you read Jon Jansen's articles, you hear him talking about what he "deserves" because of what he has done in the league. Jansen was "offended" that Spurrier would try to run a pass oriented offense because Jansen has put in what ever it is he's put in and he deserves to be able to run the ball.... (rolling eyes big time).

Today's players are different and they have that sense of entitlement that Om speaks of. That's what I don't like about todays players. I love the Old School guys that live and die as a team, that pack their lunches (so to speak) and put in a workman like performance. I hope Gibbs makes an example of some of these guys and gets the message across.

Out of all the interviews, none of the players have been in awe of Gibbs and his legend. That's what Gibbs is working against. He's not going to get instant respect that he deserves from todays clowns.

I noticed the same thing with Arrington in his two interviews with ESPN yesterday (with Dan Patrick and SC and Mark Malone and NFL 2Night). Arrington seemed guarded - and rightfully so. 5 coaches in his six years as a pro. I think Spurrier had the same amount of media hype (even though the QUALITY of coverage for Joe is different) and I would actually be surprised if all of these players weren't like this.

The benefit, though? Unlike the NY Giants, who just hired a tyrant -- a coach whose former players can easily be heard as saying he was no more than two years ago a terrible coach to play for. Gibbs in Washington - even though he's won 3 Super Bowls here - gets a clean slate with the PLAYERS. He gets to pitch them on his system and he gets 3-5 years to establish a consistency that Arrington, Bailey, Smoot, Samuels, Jansen, et al have yet to benefit from.

Also keep in mind - this will be Arringtons sixth D-Coordinator in 6 years. That's ABSURD.

I noticed the same thing with Arrington in his two interviews with ESPN yesterday (with Dan Patrick and SC and Mark Malone and NFL 2Night). Arrington seemed guarded - and rightfully so. 5 coaches in his six years as a pro. I think Spurrier had the same amount of media hype (even though the QUALITY of coverage for Joe is different) and I would actually be surprised if all of these players weren't like this.

The benefit, though? Unlike the NY Giants, who just hired a tyrant -- a coach whose former players can easily be heard as saying he was no more than two years ago a terrible coach to play for. Gibbs in Washington - even though he's won 3 Super Bowls here - gets a clean slate with the PLAYERS. He gets to pitch them on his system and he gets 3-5 years to establish a consistency that Arrington, Bailey, Smoot, Samuels, Jansen, et al have yet to benefit from.

Also keep in mind - this will be Arringtons sixth D-Coordinator in 6 years. That's ABSURD.

Originally posted by Art

I'm watching everything I can watch Redskin related last night. Listening to all the quotes from the players who to a man said they know Gibbs by reputation, but all of them seemed really to be completely unsure what the hire means.

He said as a player you hear all that but you don't believe it. You need to have it shown to you to believe. And then it hit me what we're missing on this team. What we may have been missing for years. In our special group of entitled little brats, Joe Gibbs has to SHOW them something for them to come around.

The players must be nervous and uncertain about their jobs at this point. They know that what Joe Gibbs is going to show some of them is the door. Most of them must know that they didn't work as hard as they should have to get in football shape, learn their assignments as well as they should have, concentrate as much as they should have, or play as hard as they should have under Spurrier. Now the party is over and they're going to have to change the way they behave, the way they think, their attitudes - everything. That's hard to do. The jobs they earned or were given under Spurrier must be earned under Gibbs. The real winners of the group will come around quickly and be thrilled to be a part of a winning tradition. The losers will be gone, so who cares about them. Now, please get that damned bag off of your head! You too, OM!

Originally posted by Art

I'm watching everything I can watch Redskin related last night. Listening to all the quotes from the players who to a man said they know Gibbs by reputation, but all of them seemed really to be completely unsure what the hire means.

He said as a player you hear all that but you don't believe it. You need to have it shown to you to believe. And then it hit me what we're missing on this team. What we may have been missing for years. In our special group of entitled little brats, Joe Gibbs has to SHOW them something for them to come around.

The players must be nervous and uncertain about their jobs at this point. They know that what Joe Gibbs is going to show some of them is the door. Most of them must know that they didn't work as hard as they should have to get in football shape, learn their assignments as well as they should have, concentrate as much as they should have, or play as hard as they should have under Spurrier. Now the party is over and they're going to have to change the way they behave, the way they think, their attitudes - everything. That's hard to do. The jobs they earned or were given under Spurrier must be earned under Gibbs. The real winners of the group will come around quickly and be thrilled to be a part of a winning tradition. The losers will be gone, so who cares about them. Now, please get that damned bag off of your head! You too, OM!

i think a lot of this feeling coming from the team is directly caused by the atmosphere of losing that has surrounded redskin park for the last decade (give or take a year). sure there were sound bites every year about how player X thought we had our pieces in place and should contend for the lombardi, blah blah blah. fact remains that the skins have not been a very good team (barring the playoff year) since these kids were12,13,14 years old.

also, keep in mind, these guys did not grow up fans of the redskins. they may not know the mystique that is gibbs. they know he brought 3 lombardi's to the park, but they don't understand what gibbs brings to the table. they will have to be shown, but joe can do this simply by being himself. he doesn't have to prove anything, but he does have to change the atmosphere of losing, of falling apart, of apathy, of unpreparedness.

my money is on gibbs.

i think a lot of this feeling coming from the team is directly caused by the atmosphere of losing that has surrounded redskin park for the last decade (give or take a year). sure there were sound bites every year about how player X thought we had our pieces in place and should contend for the lombardi, blah blah blah. fact remains that the skins have not been a very good team (barring the playoff year) since these kids were12,13,14 years old.

also, keep in mind, these guys did not grow up fans of the redskins. they may not know the mystique that is gibbs. they know he brought 3 lombardi's to the park, but they don't understand what gibbs brings to the table. they will have to be shown, but joe can do this simply by being himself. he doesn't have to prove anything, but he does have to change the atmosphere of losing, of falling apart, of apathy, of unpreparedness.

my money is on gibbs.

Maybe “show us” is the wrong choice of words, but what Gibbs will have to do is to reinstate certain principles that have been lost lately among the Redskins players.

He will have to prove to the young guys something that is obvious the Skins players of the past. Some young players on the team so fed up with promises that never materialized so they don't believe until they see it. It is sad, but this is a reality. And one of the Gibbs greatest task to make them a believers. I am sure he knows how to handle this.

Maybe “show us” is the wrong choice of words, but what Gibbs will have to do is to reinstate certain principles that have been lost lately among the Redskins players.

He will have to prove to the young guys something that is obvious the Skins players of the past. Some young players on the team so fed up with promises that never materialized so they don't believe until they see it. It is sad, but this is a reality. And one of the Gibbs greatest task to make them a believers. I am sure he knows how to handle this.

Originally posted by codeorama

Well, Jansen hasn't worked for "Boss Hog" Joe Bugel yet. If Boss Hog wants Jansen's opinion then Boss will beat it out of him. Seriously, all of this stuff will go away when the players learn to trust and believe in what these great coaches and leaders are doing. You can take that to the bank.

Originally posted by codeorama

Well, Jansen hasn't worked for "Boss Hog" Joe Bugel yet. If Boss Hog wants Jansen's opinion then Boss will beat it out of him. Seriously, all of this stuff will go away when the players learn to trust and believe in what these great coaches and leaders are doing. You can take that to the bank.

I wouldnt worry about the players not respecting GIbbs. I am pretty sure that most of them do re3spect him, but if they don't I don't think Joe will have a problem weeding out the "non-believers" and either converting them or showing them the door.

Gibbs is anot a tyrant like Parcells or Coughlin, but he has his own way of gaining respect & it obviously works.

I wouldnt worry about the players not respecting GIbbs. I am pretty sure that most of them do re3spect him, but if they don't I don't think Joe will have a problem weeding out the "non-believers" and either converting them or showing them the door.

Gibbs is anot a tyrant like Parcells or Coughlin, but he has his own way of gaining respect & it obviously works.

Archived