Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank you Mr. Rivera

Speaking with ESPN’s John Keim, Ron Rivera said he has “several opportunities” and that he isn’t ready to be done with coaching.
According to Rivera, he just wants to make sure whatever job he takes is “the right one.” He also noted that he enjoyed serving as the Commanders’ defensive coordinator over the final five weeks of the season and that, in doing so, he realized how much he missed working in that capacity. Rivera’s Commanders went 4-13 in his final season at the helm. Serving as both GM and head coach, he often appeared out-matched on the field and away from it. Rivera also noted he “would’ve loved a different model” than the coach-centric one he took on under former owner Dan Snyder. Widely regarded as one of the nicest coaches the league has to offer, it’s easy to envision Rivera finding a new role before the start of 2024. With that said, a coaching position feels unlikely, :806: although we can’t rule out anything until teams start hiring head coaches.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron’s lying.  The 6 other teams besides us with openings; don’t have a head coach. I doubt those teams are interested in Ron.

The teams that are keeping their head coach but have an opening at DC, Ron wouldn’t be on their list.

I also doubt it, but HC candidates have to put together potential staffs before they even get to the initial interview with a team. So it’s not impossible that he’s been contacted by HC candidates (even the unlikely ones) to see if he’d be open to a spot on their staff. And maybe it’s a LB coach job, who knows. 

But teams that don’t have a HC yet aren’t the ones who would be contacting him. It would be potential HC’s looking for a staff to pitch to owners/GM’s they’re meeting with.

Appreciate the thread, Ron does not deserve all the piling on that’s happening. Any coach or exec working for Dan Snyder was doomed from the start. They all deserve the benefit of the doubt because none of them are nearly as bad as the Snyder dysfunction made them look on the way out. Obviously he was in way over his head as a GM, but I still think he can be a good coach in the right situation. That being said, I’m so glad we are upgrading!

• Like 2