Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Henry Kissinger

ixcuincle

I am too young to have lived in a world of his "diplomacy", but from what I read, I can't believe the praise he is getting. 

It would be like a Sec of State saying "Let's bomb Iran" in the midst of the Iraq War or "Let's bomb Pakistan" during Afghanistan.  And the secrecy of it all.  I can't fathom a world where our country secretly bombs another country for 5 years!  

Mike Johnson is only 8 years older than me.  How can he act like "his contributions to US foreign policy are immeasurable."  

Maybe this is how my kids and grandkids see George W Bush for his Iraq invasion... but at least that was done out in the open and did have popular support due to the WMD claims.

I am only up to Part 3 in the "Behind the astards" podcast on this guy.  

Did the older generations just not care?  The guy literally committed treason against the United States (Humphrey campaign) to torpedo Vietnam peace talks which extended Vietnam by 5 to 7 years.  He also secretly carpet bombed Cambodia.  Like, this is the definition of "deep state."  

Like, it would be if my generation just forgot that the Iraq War was based on fabricated WMD claims by Powell, Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:51 AM, Fergasun said:

I am too young to have lived in a world of his "diplomacy", but from what I read, I can't believe the praise he is getting. 

It would be like a Sec of State saying "Let's bomb Iran" in the midst of the Iraq War or "Let's bomb Pakistan" during Afghanistan.  And the secrecy of it all.  I can't fathom a world where our country secretly bombs another country for 5 years!  

Mike Johnson is only 8 years older than me.  How can he act like "his contributions to US foreign policy are immeasurable."  

Maybe this is how my kids and grandkids see George W Bush for his Iraq invasion... but at least that was done out in the open and did have popular support due to the WMD claims.

The US got this exact criticism during the WoT (which I guess isn't technically over).   Drone strikes / kidnappings / interrogations pretty much wherever.

Bottom line, we will bomb anyone we want, wherever we want, if our security interests outweigh the blowback.  

Generally in this age where 90% of people carry portable video recorders with them wherever we go, we can't hide stuff like that nor have plausible deniability, so we don't even bother.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a hand in the Nordstream pipeline op.

• Thumb up 1