Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do people remember about past teams? What do you wonder about?

MrJL

On 8/16/2023 at 9:40 PM, RVAskins said:

I always knew Gary Clark would ball out on Sundays even though he was limited in practice because of his hammies.

Gary Clark deserves to be in the HOF

NFL Games played:167  11 seasons  

2 seasons in the USFL 25 games played

Receptions:699 + 66 USFL 

Receiving yards:10,856 + 821 USFL

Receiving average:15.5

Touchdowns:65 + 3 USFL 

Michale Irvins stats 12 seasons  159 games played

Career Stats ; REC. 750 ; YDS. 11,904 ; TD. 65 ; AVG. 15.9.

Edited by tomwvr
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

On 8/12/2023 at 5:54 PM, MrJL said:

Did fans regard Jamie Morris as a starter going into that season?  Were Byner and Riggs considered absolute needs

14 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Jamie Morris was never considered a starter, he was a "scatback" and would have never held up to the pounding. The Gerald Riggs trade was a panic move when Riggins held out, he never really was the man in Washington. Byner of course was an excellent all around RB.

Riggins retired in 1986. We didn't aquire Riggs or Byner untill 1989. Which was the year after Timmy Smith who did not play in 1989.

You may be thinking about George Rogers.

Edited by Spearfeather

I believe that Jacoby slid back to LT.  That's where he played until they got Lachey.  Initially, the plan was for Lachey to play RT.  But Lachey was much better at LT than RT and Jacoby was probably better at RT than LT.  Then Simmons would have played RT, but I don't honestly remember.

Morris was considered for the starting role.  He just wasn't good enough.  He was short but built.  I don't think there was much of a concern that the couldn't handle the work.  He'd been a starting running back at Michigan and was the younger brother of the Giant running back Joe Morris and was built very similarly.  (Wiki says Jamie was 5-7 and 195 lbs and his brother which is exactly what they have his brother too).  He just wasn't that much better than the other options at the time.  I think it was always considered a competition going into camp, but there was a hope there.

I don't think people were disappointed by how long the Smurfs lasted.  The team was still very good, and even at WR Monk (not a Smurf) was great.

Schlereth starting was a surprise.

Coleman wasn't as good against the run as the other LBs.  In that era, in a 4-3 defense LBs were run first players.  He was from a small school and had mostly played safety so he was good in coverage.  So he was used accordingly.  If he'd come along a little later, things would have been probably been different.

I don't think when Byner was traded for he was considered a need by the fans.  We didn't give up much for him.  In Cleveland, he co-carried the load with Mack.  My dad was a big Browns fan and so I'd even seen him a decent amount but didn't realize how good he was until he got to Washington.  Smith, Bryant, and Morris I think was deemed potentially a pretty good backfield and there was also the Riggs trade.  And as I remember, the team had been hyping Oliphant (he got traded for Byner).   I don't think anybody would have been upset if we went into the season with Riggs, Smith, Bryant, Morris, and Oliphant.

I think the Riggs deal was considered the more important of the two.  Riggs had more of a history as work horse back and fit the mold of Riggins.  Ended up we almost certainly gave up too much for Riggs, and Byner ended up being the important one.

By 1981, the min NFL salary is over $100K which at the time was a lot of money.  Essentially nobody was turning down a chance to make an NFL roster for a normal job.  If young players disappeared, it was either an injury where career ending injuries were more common or drugs.  You might put up with a drug problem from the likes of LT, but not from the 3rd string RB or backup OL.  Drug problems were more common among professional atheletes.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 1

I remember Oliphant breaking a big run against the Browns in the preseason.  That gave him exposure to them and what they wanted, a RB with more speed. I'm sure they would have seen the tape if it was another team but it surely didn't hurt.  So they traded Ernest Byner for Oliphant and a mid round pick, obviously a great trade for Washington.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tomwvr said:

He was also no.2 in receiving yards to Jerry Rice in that same time period that he played for the Redskins 8 years.  Monk , Sanders, on the team did not help his case. Madden chose Jerry Rice and the posse for his All Madden team quite a bit. Always thought Clark belonged too. 

15 hours ago, tomwvr said:

We're tied in 5th with 2 other teams(cowboys/Giants (Go East)) for most HoFers and under Dan, I'd bet some of the guys who deserve to be in, start getting recognized again. 

Raphael Cherry, remember him? Think he was a QB at Hawaii turned Safety rookie year and a shinning superstar, the next year Gibbs said he was a shine in the pan and cut or released. Think it was Drugs or other....? Gibbs did not fool around with drugs. One big let down that still stings the memories.