Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your plan for the 2023 offseason?

Zim489

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

They dont hit on QB? 

It pretty much comes down to that. 

So when did those teams tank, that so many are wanting on here, to get said QB?

Even the Bills didn't tank for Josh Allen. They went 9-7 the year before drafting him.

My point still stands--none of these perennial winners tanked, yet they identified and developed good players. Good organizations win, not tanking for a top 5 pick.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Not crapping on you but this one feels like the most unrealistic portion that anyone is calling for this offseason. The entire league would see it as a lame duck year. Maybe some Zorn type of position coach some where that wouldnt normally be in the running for a job like this would jump but people don't want to be uprooted in a lame duck year. 

I think Scott needs to be replaced too and if he does I think it would be by Zampese and Zampese alone. 

Giving a young up and comer a chance doesn’t matter if it’s lame duck or not. NFL experience is NFL experience and resume padding. 

Also, does Zampese not count as a replacement?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Giving a young up and comer a chance doesn’t matter if it’s lame duck or not. NFL experience is NFL experience and resume padding. 

I could have sworn Zim has jumped up and down, screaming fire Rivera...to be replaced by a lame duck coach? Is that somehow different?

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I could have sworn Zim has jumped up and down, screaming fire Rivera...to be replaced by a lame duck coach? Is that somehow different?

No. You’re right. Easier to get a OC in a lame duck year than a HC. 

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Im just saying that the young up and comer who actually has a credential to be considered for a job wont likely be taking it. It would be a Zorn level type of guy who isnt in the running for most guys. 

If you want to elevate Zampese thats fine but doubt Ron changes anything like that. 

Just now, Zim489 said:

Im just saying that the young up and comer who actually has a credential to be considered for a job wont likely be taking it. It would be a Zorn level type of guy who isnt in the running for most guys. 

If you want to elevate Zampese thats fine but doubt Ron changes anything like that. 

Sooo...if they fire Rivera, like you've been championing...does that HC, who is already a lame duck with the new ownership coming in, get to hire a new OC...who would also be a lame duck? Or not and keep Turner? 

So a lame duck, HC that doesn't get to pick their staff, or get to pick from said lame duck OCs?

Sorry--maybe you can clear up your whole line of thinking?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Sooo...if they fire Rivera, like you've been championing...does that HC, who is already a lame duck with the new ownership coming in, get to hire a new OC...who would also be a lame duck? Or not and keep Turner? 

So a lame duck, HC that doesn't get to pick their staff, or get to pick from said lame duck OCs?

Sorry--maybe you can clear up your whole line of thinking?

He was talking about OC which is implying that Ron is still here. Ron would be in a lame duck season. Which means the staff in its entirety would be out within a year. 

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

He was talking about OC which is implying that Ron is still here. Ron would be in a lame duck season. Which means the staff in its entirety would be out within a year. 

But you're advocating for the same thing--simply to get rid of Rivera and tank--and replace an entire staff? Did I get that right?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

But you're advocating for the same thing--simply to get rid of Rivera and tank--and replace an entire staff? Did I get that right?

What I want and what Kdawg described are two different scenarios. 

Just now, Zim489 said:

What I want and what Kdawg described are two different scenarios. 

No, they aren’t.

You want a lame duck head coach to come in with a lame duck staff.

I think a new OC is required. 

Unless you’re operating under the assumption there is a new owner. I’m not. 

Are you saying you want Rivera back if ownership doesn’t change? In another thread you just said this is his last game as HC. “A fitting end”

Im sure I’m losing something in translation here so if you could help me find your thought process here I’d appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No, they aren’t.

You want a lame duck head coach to come in with a lame duck staff.

I think a new OC is required. 

Unless you’re operating under the assumption there is a new owner. I’m not. 

Are you saying you want Rivera back if ownership doesn’t change? In another thread you just said this is his last game as HC. “A fitting end”

Im sure I’m losing something in translation here so if you could help me find your thought process here I’d appreciate it.

What I am saying is that if Ron is still here the job will be seen as a lame duck one and any OC option worth a grain of salt wont be taking it as they will likely be on the way out within a calendar year. 

Just now, Zim489 said:

What I am saying is that if Ron is still here the job will be seen as a lame duck one and any OC option worth a grain of salt wont be taking it as they will likely be on the way out within a calendar year. 

So, you’d rather keep Turner?

Just now, KDawg said:

So, you’d rather keep Turner?

I want them all gone. I think its a higher chance Turner is here than Ron but beyond that I couldnt really care. They are all bums and are gone within a year any way. 

Just now, Zim489 said:

I want them all gone. I think its a higher chance Turner is here than Ron but beyond that I couldnt really care. They are all bums and are gone within a year any way. 

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Not crapping on you but this one feels like the most unrealistic portion that anyone is calling for this offseason. The entire league would see it as a lame duck year. Maybe some Zorn type of position coach some where that wouldnt normally be in the running for a job like this would jump but people don't want to be uprooted in a lame duck year. 

I think Scott needs to be replaced too and if he does I think it would be by Zampese and Zampese alone. 

My original post, that you aren’t crapping on me for, says this: 

Try to find a new OC, but understand that may be tough to get under the circumstances and be ready to roll with Turner or an on-staff replacement or a young QB/position coach from somewhere in the League.

I’m just having a bit of trouble following this.

Im not understanding whats hard to follow.

You are saying you want an OC replacement

I am saying an OC replacement will be hard to do in what the league will view as a lame duck year with Ron still here. You will be hard pressed to find some one who is worth their salt willing to take the job knowing they will be gone within the year. Leaving you with Zorn quality level options to take the job. 

Because of that I can only see Zampese taking the job as he has experience with it and is on staff. I doubt Ron would go this route. 

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Im not understanding whats hard to follow.

You are saying you want an OC replacement

I am saying an OC replacement will be hard to do in what the league will view as a lame duck year with Ron still here. You will be hard pressed to find some one who is worth their salt willing to take the job knowing they will be gone within the year. Leaving you with Zorn quality level options to take the job. 

Because of that I can only see Zampese taking the job as he has experience with it and is on staff. I doubt Ron would go this route. 

Again, going back to my original post I said this: 

Try to find a new OC, but understand that may be tough to get under the circumstances and be ready to roll with Turner or an on-staff replacement or a young QB/position coach from somewhere in the League.

17 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

You want to replace an ENTIRE STAFF in the same situation, including the OC. How is that some how more feasible?

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

The entire saff doesnt make it a lame duck year lol 

It does if Snyder is still the owner... if he ever sells, that is. I'm still not sold on that. And won't be no matter how many articles are posted until it happens. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It does if Snyder is still the owner... if he ever sells, that is. I'm still not sold on that. And won't be no matter how many articles are posted until it happens. 

Then the entire scenario and really point of this thread is out the window. 

But Dan is selling one way or the other. His time is over.

I think one player to look at is Logan Thomas as a cut canidate, way over paid and saves the most after Wentz is gone.  Hurt a lot with a big contract and of no use this season. We also have a couple young TE's who could step up and there is the draft.  Norwell, Charles, Lucas, DaxMl next in line.  Trade possibilities, Gibson if trade is right but contract is not a problem and would keep.   Sign, Sweat if price is not to high, but draft is deep at that position. Keep Payne as top priority.  Even give the coaches another year but would not lose any sleep if it did not happen.  Play as many backups as possible the last game, not worth losing key starters.  Look to the draft and free agency. Trade down if possible or trade up if your player is there at the right price.  Hope Dan is gone so I can become a loyal fan again as top thing to happen this year.

29 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I think one player to look at is Logan Thomas as a cut canidate, way over paid and saves the most after Wentz is gone.  Hurt a lot with a big contract and of no use this season. We also have a couple young TE's who could step up and there is the draft.  Norwell, Charles, Lucas, DaxMl next in line.  Trade possibilities, Gibson if trade is right but contract is not a problem and would keep.   Sign, Sweat if price is not to high, but draft is deep at that position. Keep Payne as top priority.  Even give the coaches another year but would not lose any sleep if it did not happen.  Play as many backups as possible the last game, not worth losing key starters.  Look to the draft and free agency. Trade down if possible or trade up if your player is there at the right price.  Hope Dan is gone so I can become a loyal fan again as top thing to happen this year.

I agree about Thomas.  Like the guy, but I’d go with the youth at TE.  McKissic is another one too.  Rough business.  Both appear to be really good guys.  If you use the post 6/1 cuts on them, you save 9.75 on the cap. Norwell does give you a lot of savings 4.4M if you cut him post 6/1 instead of McKissic.  But you would then have two open guard spot with only Cosmi coming back.

Cutting Charles and Milne is fine, but their savings don’t really help significantly.  They can be carried through the offseason.

• Thumb up 1

My plan? Regret spending money on season tickets, celebrate when new owner takes over, hope -- somehow but it will never happen -- the new owner changes name back, and realize the team will be mediocre before I talk myself into false hope.