Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Work/Life Balance and Quietly Quitting

PleaseBlitz

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The best recruiting call I ever heard happened 8 or 9 years ago when I was working at a boutique IT recruiting agency.  There were about 10 of us in the office and only one of us was on the phone.  That was kind of rare, but it allowed us to listen in on one particular call. 

The recruiter that was on the phone was probably the greatest recruiter I've ever met.  At the time he was about 30 years old, had been a former track star in college, had 3 DUIs under his belt and bragged about the chicks he picked up on the weekends in an effort to stay in the closet and truly just did not give a **** about anything or anyone and depending on the day could let you know exactly that.  But he got more people hired at our clients than anyone.

So he's on the phone with a candidate who wants a job at a client we're working with and he's asking question after question about why this candidate hasn't been able to hold a job for more than 6-8 months at a time for the past several years.  

"Okay, so in June through October of 2014 you were at this company, why'd you leave?"

He stops asking questions and then repeats the candidates reasons back to him.  "Okay, so you left this company because you had a problem with the manager.  And you left the next one because you didn't like the boss.  And you left this one because you had a disagreement with co-worker and couldn't stand working with them....You left this one because..."

And then he summed it up.  "I can't do anything for you.  You have a 'you' problem.  You're the problem in every reason you've left a job, you are the common denominator."  

So yeah, Ren, it's the responsibility for each generation to teach the next generation lessons but sometimes the truth hurts.  A wise man once wrote, "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest," and that statement rings true in a lot of areas but it especially rings true in work environments.

I've spoken with hundreds of clients over the past 15 years, and thousands upon thousands of candidates.  Anywhere from three to ten calls a day listening to people explain why they want to leave their current job or why they feel like they deserve something or what they want out of their next career move or why they can't find a job, etc, etc, Monday through Friday for 15 years.  To say I'm a bit jaded and cynical would be an understatement.  And to be clear, I'm jaded and cynical just not with candidates but the clients, too, so I'm well aware about the bull**** that's on their end.  

But I do know one thing for sure; in the similar vein of how it never hurts to be the best dressed person in the room, it also never hurts to be the hardest working person in the room.  

These things said, I am still cynical and jaded and I really don't give much of a **** past this.  So I'll let you have the final word and continue to ignore this thread.

This is fair.

Ill add that I've seen an example of this every generation I've come across on my short time here on earth compared to others.

We are the sum of our choices, for better or for worse.

Your example concerning "everyone but me" when every job ends the same way I've also seen and called out in the dating world.  Oh, all your relationships end the same way but it's nothing to do with you?  Can't even start with who you pickin in the first place.  Ok.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is fair.

Ill add that I've seen an example of this every generation I've come across on my short time here on earth compared to others.

We are the sum of our choices, for better or for worse.

Your example concerning "everyone but me" when every job ends the same way I've also seen and called out in the dating world.  Oh, all your relationships end the same way but it's nothing to do with you?  Can't even start with who you pickin in the first place.  Ok.

No need to turn this into a Taylor Swift thread.

• Haha 2

As an old millennial, I remember the “these kids” articles going back15+ years. The problem is the people making these complaints are STILL working. Same for the political leaders in control. 

• Thanks 2