Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Powerful 7.1 magnitude earthquake strikes northern Philippines

TheGreatBuzz

This is not going to be pretty.  Manila is not what I would call a well-built city.

MANILA, July 27 (Reuters) - A powerful 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck the Philippine island of Luzon on Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said, badly damaging a hospital and buildings in a northern province and sending strong tremors through the capital, Manila.

A hospital in Abra province was evacuated after the building partially collapsed following the quake, but there were no casualties reported, said officials.

"We are still experiencing aftershocks. We have received reports of damages to houses. But so far no casualties," said Mayor Rovelyn Villamor in the town of Lagangilang in Abra province.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/magnitude-72-earthquake-strikes-luzon-philippines-emsc-2022-07-27/

• Sad 1

Strong Quake Hits Northern Philippines, Killing at Least One

The 7.0 magnitude quake on Luzon island shook buildings on Wednesday and caused some structures to collapse.

26philippines-earthquake-1-superJumbo.jp

A strong earthquake struck the northern Philippines on Wednesday morning, killing at least one person, shaking buildings and causing some structures to collapse, officials said.

The 7.0 magnitude quake struck at 8:43 a.m. at a depth of 10 kilometers, or six miles, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology. The epicenter was in the northwestern part of Luzon, the country’s most populous island.

“This is a major quake,” Renato U. Solidum, the head of the institute, said in an interview with a local radio station. He added that it had been felt with “relatively moderate intensity” hundreds of miles away in the capital, Manila.

One man, a construction worker, was killed by falling debris, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.

There were no other immediate reports of casualties, and the disaster risk agency said no damage had been reported at hydropower dams in the affected area. In Manila, light rail train service was briefly suspended at some stations.

But officials released photos from Abra Province, where the quake struck, that showed damage to buildings, some of which had partially collapsed.

Click on the link for the full article

I was worried about this for my wifes family when I read the headline but apparently this one is probably 1000 KM north of our property and homes there so I'm sure they didn't even feel it. I haven't even woke up my wife yet.

If this had been in Manila I'm sure they would be reporting 100s or more likely 1000s of deaths.

The one in Bohol in 2013 was a lot closer and I think it did a lot more damage there and in Cebu city since it was so close. It was freaky because we had just gone to Bohol and did tours around some 400-500 year old chuches and the chocolate hills, then saw that a lot of that ended up being destroyed.

We live in the northern part of Iloilo closer to Boracay and have only been severely damaged by Typhoons since I've been going there 10 years ago.

There was a smaller than Yolanda typhoon there 2 years ago that caused a lot of damage and our house and lot would have been fine, we have an 8ft chain link fence with concrete reinforced columns all the way around that blocks out all of that flying debris, but since our neighbors planted huge mango trees on the other side of our fence line and some of them fell down we had to rebuild big sections of the fence and part of our roof.

Good thing that its a lot cheaper and faster to rebuild there.

Of course that's just a foreigner talking. Those who just went through this earthquake mostly don't have US jubs to pay for things to be replaced. The lucky ones there with college degrees make 200 dollars or less a month for the most part.