Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've like Haener for 2 years now so me too. 

Tune I've liked for a coupe of months, sort of as a 6th round flier but sounds like he might be going higher. -- Haener IMO is more polished, more accurate than Tune.  Tune is more toolsey than Haener -- good arm, good mobility.

After Haener, I have interest Thompson from UCLA in the 5th. 

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Your LBer stance, especially MLB I guess is very fluid, because you've been telling me that I'm wrong for wanting a MIKE and now you're pounding the table for one.

Nope. Like I said, you never understand it. I’ve said that there is no Middle Backer in our defense. A true 00-tech Mike. We use ILBs. Guys who can cover a little but align in the tackle box.

In previous years I’ve wanted hybrids. Guys like Isaiah Simmons. Not to play ILB, but to play Buffalo nickel.

Inside backers are more traditional SAM’s. Campbell is not an old school Mike. Campbell is good in space and can come down hill and thump. He’s not as fast as Jamin, but he is a guy who is solid in coverage.

He fits the perfect definition of an inside backer. Campbell could also play a Mike.

What we don’t need is a thumper with led feet that can’t move. 

I’ve never wanted guys like Simmons to play as an inside the box ILB.

You have fought me every step when I’ve tried to explain this to you and I’m really believing I’m not explaining this in a way that is easy to understand because my stance hasn’t changed. :ols:

• Thumb up 1

It's time for my obligatory Blake Freeland will emerge as one of the top 3 OT's this class down the road. I think :)

40 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Jon Gaines was someone I listed yesterday when looking at UCLA attendees, after our meeting with Thompson-Robinson was noted. No idea if any of you guys have looked at him. Seems like he’s testing well.

Will check him out. Not on my radar. Thanks

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Nice feet from Bergeron there. 

I liked Mark Evans tape. But he is really struggling athletically today. Goes to show that the level of competition you face does matter. 

Bergeron moved very well. Not sure where the narrative that he was plodding came from earlier in this thread but it was wrong

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RWJ said:

After Haener, I have interest Thompson from UCLA in the 5th. 

Thompson as I've mentioned over time here would be my third want in that 2nd tier Qb group after Haener and Tune.

I thought I was on another planet versus DJ yesterday watching the drills with Thompson-Robinson.  DJ ignoring the errant throws and focusing on the good ones, seemed like he decided to love him in advance. I wish I can find it burt some media draft nik was commenting -- making the same point yesterday.

What got me liking him was watching some of the UCLA players, I saw a tough dude, with some really good mobility.  A bit raw as a passer and threw the ball in harms way more than i'd like, not the best deep ball.  As a project, what the heck, as I've mentioned for weeks, he's on my short list as for later rounder QBs, no way I'd take him early, ditto Tune.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

For those that wanted a take on Kuntz:

Seems like he did spend a number of years at Penn State with Dotson. Couldn’t break the line up though. Was also deemed the #1 TE prospect heading into college. Bit more fuel to the hype.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

DTR stinks. No thanks.

Not even as an UDFA ?

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Seems like he did spend a number of years at Penn State with Dotson. Couldn’t break the line up though. Was also deemed the #1 TE prospect heading into college. Bit more fuel to the hype.

Not even as an UDFA ?

nope

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Solid first run from Skoronski. 1.75/5.18. His athleticism is better than I thought in all honestly. Also second highest vertical of the combine for OL. Good showing so far. 

He’s very athletic. Him as a guard is a potential all-pro level player.

• Like 1

Just now, “Misdirection” said:

Lot of mocks people have created in this thread have him in 2/3 round for us. How do we feel about the profile aligning with the tape? (I’ve watched 0 lol)

I’m not as enamored with him as a lot of others here. I like him. I don’t think his RAS does him justice. But I don’t have him as C1. I’d actually say he’s C3 or 4. Have to think about that.

But he’s probably a day one starter here.

• Like 1

Stromberg in the third or fourth is a steal. I think he’s a day 2/borderline day 1 IOL. He’s a tier below Torrence and Skoronski as a player but as a center he has everything you want. He’s going to be really, really, good and I’m glad our scouts are at least talking to him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Stromberg in the third or fourth is a steal. I think he’s a day 2/borderline day 1 IOL. He’s a tier below Torrence and Skoronski as a player but as a center he has everything you want. He’s going to be really, really, good and I’m glad our scouts are at least talking to him.

Really nice feet from Stromberg in that drill. Skoronski was so fluid it should be illegal for someone that big. 

Great feet from Vorhees as well. I thnk Vorhees might have gone down in that drill though?

Edited by clskinsfan

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Really nice feet from Stromberg in that drill. Skoronski was so fluid it should be illegal for someone that big. 

Great feet from Vorhees as well. 

Ya. Skoronski is going to be special at the next level as long as he is out into a position to succeed. 

I’m not watching the combine atm. Taking in the Defenders closing in on 3-0. Gregg Williams’ D has been outstanding.

But I’ve been watching in waves. 

Not surprised with the performances so far. OL is the easiest “matches the tape” position. Though shuttle times and arm length are important.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Who knows how accurate they are, but see him in the 5th or 6th in many mocks.   He's one of the earliest players I reviewed here months back.  Besides being a solid high floor player, he comes off with high intangibles, I posted some interviews of him at the time.   Good both as a run blocker and pass blocker.  

I notice some give him a hard time for not always being hot against Georgia's interior in 2021.  But join the club -- Torrence is a first rounder according to most and he had some bad moments too against Georgia's interior, you aren't going to win every rep.

According to Keim, everything being equal, they supposedly would prefer interior O lineman who aren't that tall, to help Howell's line of sight.  Stromberg would fit that at 6 '3.

In general, I like who they've been meeting with.  Maybe i am jinxing it but they've been meeting with players I dig for the most part.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 1/27/2023 at 12:39 PM, Chump Bailey said:

Top Ten OC’s

John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota

Luke Wypler, Ohio State

Steve Avila, TCU

Jarrett, Patterson, Notre Dame

Joe Tippman, Wisconsin

Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas

Alex Forsyth, Oregon

Juice Scruggs, Penn State

Olusegun Oluwatimi, Michigan

Jake Andrews, Troy

I like Stromberg too. Don't leave me out! 

Oluwatimi is the biggest sleeper though IMO of the bunch.

I'm not liking Troy Andrews anymore though. 

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I like Stromberg too. Don't leave me out! 

Oluwatimi is the biggest sleeper though IMO of the bunch.

I'm not liking Troy Andrews anymore though. 

Olu is the biggest enigma. He, like Stromberg, has everything you want in a prospect. Except I’m not sure he has enough anchor. His hips tend to rise a bit too much. But if he gets that fixed he’s going to be good, too. 

• Thumb up 1

Vorhees going down is going to hurt him. That’s awful. I feel bad for him. He was fighting for a potential draft spot on day 2.

Someone will draft him but his career arc got harder. I wish him the best.

• Like 2