Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Expansion to 40 teams isn’t as crazy as it sounds

88Comrade2000

PFT: Expansion to 40 teams isn’t as crazy as it sounds  

40 teams seems to be too much.  I could see expansion to 36 teams, 18 game season.  You go back to 3 divisions with 6 teams each.  That would be 10 division games, 2 conference games based on where you finish with the other 2 divisions, 6 games verses the other conference.  If you want more in conference games; you can just play 3 games against the other conference. You can still rotate it, so everyone still plays regularly.

I do think that when the NFL loses the St. Louis case; they give them an expansion team.

Expansion required the NBA to dilute its rules to free up offense.  The NFL has fortunately weathered the storm a bit, perhaps because of the high level of specialization, I don't know, but there is some dilution and 40 teams will mean a lower quality product.  But as long as fools keep giving money to the NFL, it'll be fine. Just like the Madden games (which are awful and have been for a decade.)

On 11/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yes, it is crazy as it sounds.

Nearly all the teams will be 9-8

This is exactly it. It might not be as unlikely as it sounds, because money, but it is exactly as crazy as it sounds to expand a league that already doesn't have the talent to support 32 legitimately competitive teams by another 8.

On 11/18/2021 at 2:22 PM, Warhead36 said:

Ugh, no. Even 32 teams is too much. The talent pool is dilluted enough as it is.

When I saw this thread I noticed that the thread below it was about the USFL returning in 2022.  Expansion sounds like an idea to drain talent away from the USFL so it fails.