Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Rundown:

Says at the Combine they heard that Washington wasn't in love with any of the QBs in this class. He knows people are mocking Willis to them but Washington was not one of the teams that were overly excited about Willis in Indy. 

Has them drafting WR Drake London at #11

They said everything they heard about both Denver and Washington at the Combine is they both want QBs but they both want veterans and don't really want to take anyone from this QB class that high.

Edited by VirginiaVibes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, samy316 said:

Not a chance in hell this happens.  I said this earlier today in one of my posts, but this franchise is DESPERATELY in need of a franchise QB in order to take the stink off of the name reveal and jersey debacle, not to mention all of the other negative press currently hovering the team.  I said earlier that the only fans left rooting for this franchise are the diehards, and this looks to be even more on point now.  They're literally circling down the drain as a franchise.  If they don't do something major to bring back fans, then this franchise is in perilous danger.  There's literally nothing to cheer about with this franchise at the current moment save for a few players (T-Mac, and J. Allen).  I bet this is also fueling their desperate need for obtaining a franchise QB, even more than the obvious reason that we need one to even compete.  Just having a QB now generates buzz and jersey sales.

They only had 2  years and they could not get the crest correct.  What other business has two years to re brand themselves, and then have to change the crest or emblem a week latter.   

13 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I am not, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

But seriously I read some analysis that was insightful.  On the plus side for Strong, the most recent procedure he had also went in and took a peek to see if his cadaver cartilage was being rejected and pulling away from the bone again.  It wasn't.  While that's a plus for Strong, his whole knee situation is an ongoing worry.

OK you seemed so definitive that Keim was being lied to apparently multiple times on this one.  Because you know that the Commanders medical staff with some certainty should reject Strong that you came off like an orthopedist or someone who has seen his medical records.  

I got no idea.  As a layman like apparently yourself on this, of course I got concerns.  But the whole idea of the combine is to examine it.  And being somewhat of a media hound on the draft, I haven't noticed yet about reports about teams rejecting Strong and taking them off their boards after the medical exams.  Concerns yes.   Granted those stories still may come of outright rejection of the player.  I got my eyes open for it, I am curious.  I know at the Senior Bowl Nagy among others tried to sell hard Carson is fine.  Will see.   

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 6.34.01 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, VirginiaVibes said:

Rundown:

Says at the Combine they heard that Washington wasn't in love with any of the QBs in this class. He knows people are mocking Willis to them but Washington was not one of the teams that were overly excited about Willis in Indy. 

They said everything they heard about both Denver and Washington at the Combine is they both want QBs but they both want veterans and don't really want to take anyone from this QB class that high.

"They said everything they heard about... Washington at the Combine is they... want veterans and don't really want to take anyone from this QB class that high."

The question then becomes:  "Is the Commanders front office playing three dimensional chess (ie setting off a smoke screen to hide their true intentions) or checkers?

Given the way they completely telegraphed and flubbed the new name announcement I suspect the latter...

image.png.a169e9cdad5990daa7cbcc0312221df0.png 

The Commanders brain trust hard at work planning their next move.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, VirginiaVibes said:

Rundown:

Thanks for the link to this.

Just listened to it.  I like Sikkema, I followed him from back when he was at the Draft Network but he's not so much in a insider type.  This isn't like hearing something from Schefter.

I liked the listen.  As for this specific team, it was for me a lot of "duh" but some of the rest of it was cool.  As for this team:  "Not an overwhelming gushing love" for the QBs. My take is "duh".  What QB in this draft gives an overwhelming gushing love vibe?  They prefer a veteran.  "duh", too.  Rivera has flat out said the same.  No mystery there.  Then Connor Rodgers goes they might want a veteran (Denver, too) but it doesn't mean they will find that dance partner unless they like Jimmy G.

I didn't hear any slam at Willis from a Commanders view point.  It was basically they haven't heard the team mentioned with him.  And I guess you can take the overwleming love as a shot at him as you could with any of the QBs.  They had Willis going 12 right after WFT pick.  Overwhelming love QBs are IMO Joe Burrow types.

Only reason why the first QB in the draft could be there at #11 is that there is not "overwhelming love" from ANY team about these QBs if these mock draft types end up correct.   Only love narrative I can think of as to things I've read is Carolina with Pickett but even on that narrative there are stories that conflict with it

Standig who I trust a lot more than a random PFF guy as for the team's intention's, real insider to the team, has heard this team linked to Willis.   And its his job to scope that out.  

I know you don't like Willis.  But here's the good news for those that don't like Willis or these first round QBs.    I recall you challenging whether Keim is plugged in yesterday.  But on this I'd root for him to be right because if they sign some specific veterans in FA, he believes the odds are good they don't draft a QB until the 2nd round and if so that would clearly take Willis out of the equation.  But it might bring another QB in the mix who I recall you don't like Desmond Ridder, if he drops to that round. 

The dude that has historically been the most honest about their intentions has been Ron himself.  He's often honest to a fault.  Not cagey like for example Shanny was. But who knows? Will see.  It's part of what makes the off season fun -- all the speculation.

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 7.05.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 7.06.19 AM.png

The more I think about it, the more Sam Howell is emerging as a dark horse candidate for one that they will draft.  WFT scouts were at the UNC/Pitt game back in November, as well as the UNC/Wake Forest game a week prior.  The Pickett/Willis talk will all be moot if the Panthers and Falcons take them respectively.  That leaves us with maybe drafting a WR at #11 and hoping that Howell is there in the second round.  I doubt it will do much for fan excitement, but I would not be upset with this.

49 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

The question then becomes:  "Is the Commanders front office playing three dimensional chess (ie setting off a smoke screen to hide their true intentions) or checkers?

Given the way they completely telegraphed and flubbed the new name announcement I suspect the latter...

image.png.a169e9cdad5990daa7cbcc0312221df0.png 

The Commanders brain trust hard at work planning their next move.

If you go through it there is no chess about it.  It flows with the same narrative we are used to.  Even if it weren't, the two people speculating on it aren't plugged in reporters.  This isn't like Graziano and Garafolo talking about it.

We've been talking about the narrative -- not overwhelming love for eons on this thread.  Clearly they like some guys.  not love them.  Who is the fall in love guy in this mix?  There is no Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray over the moon fall in love prospect in the mix.  

Rivera was asked about this directly by the Junkies and said he does like some of these QBs. 

I personally want them to take a QB early but that's not because I am in love with a QB.  But there are some I like that I'd throw the dice on.

It doesn't take a rocket scientest following Keim and Standig that the dudes they like the best are Pickett and Willis.

I am not even a big Pickett guy so it's not what I want to hear.  I'd love to hear Corral, my top guy, but alas that's not the narrative at least not yet.  Maybe the pro day changes it. 

As for them taking one though in the first round that's far from slam dunk according to Keim who beats to death the 2nd-3rd round is in play for the spot.

But even if we went with Keim or Standig are liars (which I know from the past they are far from that) or being misled by their sources.  Rivera tipped in his own interview recently that he expects a rookie.  So unless he's referring to some 7th round flier, feels like Standig-Keim end up right on this.

And as for them preferring a veteran, that's been billboard level obvious.  They aren't drafting Pickett obviously if they trade for Russell Wilson.  But what are the odds they land that big fish?

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The more I think about it, the more Sam Howell is emerging as a dark horse candidate for one that they will draft.  WFT scouts were at the UNC/Pitt game back in November, as well as the UNC/Wake Forest game a week prior.  The Pickett/Willis talk will all be moot if the Panthers and Falcons take them respectively.  That leaves us with maybe drafting a WR at #11 and hoping that Howell is there in the second round.  I doubt it will do much for fan excitement, but I would not be upset with this.

Graziano among others reported they've diven really deep on all these QBs.  Actually Rivera himself said the same.

As for Howell, he's the only QB among the top 6 that Keim has strongly hinted they don't dig.  We talked about that weeks back on this thread/   That was precombine.  Maybe that changed.  And every once inawhile Keim is wrong.  Will see. 

Just now, DWinzit said:

@Skinsinparadise, thank you for the medical post on Strong. Very informative.  has been the guy I felt Washington really liked as a fall back in the 2nd round. I did not realize the extent of the surgery he had. As a result I could see him off some team boards. 

No doubt he could be.  It feels like I can be Keim's PR rep.  But as someone who has followed this team religiously media wise for decades -- Keim is the closest thing I've ever seen to deep throat :ols: as for getting things right.  Actually most of those who cover this team, I more or less ignore as sources -- way too hit and miss at best.  The best by a mile has been Keim.  Standig is the runner up IMO.  So when Keim mentions over and over and over again that Strong is a person of interest for the team in the 2nd round, I buy it.  Now I don't recall him talking about it yet post combine so will see if that is a game changer but leading into the combine I do believe they were interested considering how repetitive Keim has been about it.

• Like 1

Orlovosky I guess is coming around on him.  He's been wrong though, really wrong on some players.  Only reason why this got my attention was he was critical of Pickett last week in the mix of his comments so I gather something changed. 

• Like 1

Discussion on The Junkies reference Watson and Lurch mentioned the judge on the case will make a decision April 1st. 

I wonder how that effects what teams do in FA which starts in a little over a week?  I mean in terms of teams wanting to sign a Mariota or Trubisky or whoever day one?

Edited by HigSkin

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt he could be.  It feels like I can be Keim's PR rep.  But as someone who has followed this team religiously media wise for decades -- Keim is the closest thing I've ever seen to deep throat :ols: as for getting things right.  Actually most of those who cover this team, I more or less ignore as sources -- way too hit and miss at best.  The best by a mile has been Keim.  Standig is the runner up IMO.  So when Keim mentions over and over and over again that Strong is a person of interest for the team in the 2nd round, I buy it.  Now I don't recall him talking about it yet post combine so will see if that is a game changer but leading into the combine I do believe they were interested considering how repetitive Keim has been about it.

This is news I will pay more attention to than many, I have really thought from the get go that they liked Strong.

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Discussion on The Junkies reference Watson and Lurch mentioned the judge on the case will make a decision April 1st. 

I wonder how that effects what teams do in FA which starts in a little over a week?  I mean in terms of teams wanting to sign a Mariota or Trubisky or whoever day one?

Sheehan and Finlay talked about that on Sheean's podcast yesterday.  Their thought is signing a FA wouldn't preclude making a deal like this down the road this off season.  That is, you'd do both in that case.

As for Watson, tough for me to get a read as for what the team is thinking based on beat guys except for these two things:  A.  They are not ruling it out.   B.  They won't pounce with legal issues looming -- that stuff has to settle.

I get the impression Denver, Carolina would be all over it.  Philly probably too.  

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

This is news I will pay more attention to than many, I have really thought from the get go that they liked Strong.

Keim has been consistent on:

A.  Pickett at 11 with hints that the team doesn't think he lands there

B.  Plan B would be Ridder or Strong in the 2nd.

He's said it over and over again.

He's mentioned Willis a few times as a player of interest especially depending on what FA they sign.  For example a running-mobile type QB in FA coupled with Willis. 

Corral almost never gets mentioned, I think it was just once where he hinted maybe in a trade down but he was really vague so it might not have meant anything and maybe I was just hearing what I wanted to hear since that's my top guy.  So thiking about it now, I got no idea what they think of him judging at least by Keim. 

Howell also hardly ever gets mentioned, except one time where he suggested he's not their cup of tea more or less.

Granted all of this is before Rivera had a chance to interview these guys himself so maybe things have changed?  Will see. 

• Like 1

Philly reporter

Round 1, pick 15: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty (6'0, 219)

Let's just start with Willis' highlight reel, because, well, just watch him.

Fun, right? As you saw, Willis is a quarterback who can win with his arm or his legs.

As a runner, he reminds a little of... Jalen Hurts! He's similarly sized, and he can run through tacklers in addition to running by them, though his speed isn't on the same level, as say, Lamar Jackson or Mike Vick.

Does he have an arm? Yes. Yes he does.

How many quarterbacks in the NFL can make that throw?

As a passer, Willis can make throws that Hurts cannot. Willis has substantially more arm strength, and in my opinion better accuracy, particularly while on the run. To be clear, Willis' accuracy is a work in progress, and he made his share of ugly throws in 2021, but his accuracy is probably more correctable than Hurts' with some tweaks to his mechanics. Willis already has Hurts' running skills, but there's no comparison in terms of their respective ceilings as passers.

On the "intangibles" side, Willis has reportedly received high marks during his interviews, and Ian Rapoport reported that he scored a 32 on the Wonderlic.

If there's one quarterback in this draft that I can see the Eagles falling in love with, it's Willis.

I'm just having flashbacks to 2019 with all of this.  We have a QB on the roster right now, who some think could actually start for this team, as we did back in 2019 prior to any free ageny moves or trades.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/colt-mccoy-could-enter-2019-redskins-starting-qb/486219

Then they traded for a slightly better journeyman than the one already on the roster.  This is what most local guys are saying now: it's most likely going to be Trubisky or Mariota.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26174723/sources-broncos-trading-keenum-redskins

The local guys start to hype up a boom or bust project.  Local guys are all in on the Malik Willis train right now.  Standig, Finlay, Keim, etc.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26388916/tracing-roots-dwayne-haskins-football-journey

We draft said project, in the 3rd year of a 5 year coaching tenure.  The slightly better journeyman actually sucks just as much or more than the guy we had on the roster, so we are forced to play the rookie.  Rookie does some nice things towards the end of the season to justify sticking with him.  Then 2020 happens.  I pray this isn't the scenario but it's giving me flashbacks.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim has been consistent on:

A.  Pickett at 11 with hints that the team doesn't think he lands there

B.  Plan B would be Ridder or Strong in the 2nd.

He's said it over and over again.

He's mentioned Willis a few times as a player of interest especially depending on what FA they sign.  For example a running-mobile type QB in FA coupled with Willis. 

Corral almost never gets mentioned, I think it was just once where he hinted maybe ina. trade down but he was really vague so it might not have meanyt anything. 

Howell also hardly ever gets mentioned, except one time where he suggested he's not their cup of team.

Granted all of this is before Rivera had a chance to interview these guys himself so maybe things have changed?  Will see. 

I no longer see Ridder making it out of the first round so if they wait until the second it's got to be Strong. 

I was surprised they were so definitive on Howell pre combine. My gut is if he falls in the draft they will have interest. 

Funny how much interest we hear in Willis with little on Corral.

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The local guys start to hype up a boom or bust project.  Local guys are all in on the Malik Willis train right now.  Standig, Finlay, Keim, etc.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26388916/tracing-roots-dwayne-haskins-football-journey

We draft said project, in the 3rd year of a 5 year coaching tenure.  The slightly better journeyman actually sucks just as much or more than the guy we had on the roster, so we are forced to play the rookie.  Rookie does some nice things towards the end of the season to justify sticking with him.  Then 2020 happens.  I pray this isn't the scenario but it's giving me flashbacks.

Big difference I think.  The idea that Dan Snyder was the dude hopped on Haskins and the FO wasn't at all was a narrative even before the draft.   

Unless something changed with Keim, he alludes to Pickett being the top guy for them.  But Willis definitiely is being getting many mentions of late.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Big difference I think.  The idea that Dan Snyder was the dude hopped on Haskins and the FO wasn't at all was a narrative even before the draft.   

I cannot shake the feeling that Snyder is going to meddle his way into decisions again.  

12 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I no longer see Ridder making it out of the first round so if they wait until the second it's got to be Strong. 

I was surprised they were so definitive on Howell pre combine. My gut is if he falls in the draft they will have interest. 

Funny how much interest we hear in Willis with little on Corral.

The team really isn't openly declaring anything.  So there is nothing definitive coming from them.

Keim is just typically really good at pulling information about what they are thinking from whomever he talks to.  He doesn't always end up being perfectly right but he's been from what I've observed by far the most right.  And that goes double when he's repetitive on a point versus something he just says once.

Standig is almost as good.  I've not really heard much Howell love from either one.  That could change.  But so far its noticeable.

And I try to pay attention to what's said as opposed to what I want to hear.

My top 6 QBs would be these guys in this order

1.  Corral

2.  Willis

3.  Howell

4.  Pickett

5.  Ridder

6.  Strong

So, lol, I get the impression that their interest is strongest in my bottom 3, not my top 3.  But if so it is what it is.  But things can change.  And like I said once in awhile Keim ends up wrong.  But when both Keim and Standig hear the same stuff, I trust its more likely to be true than not.  But this is an open ended process so even if they are dead right now, it could change.

The biggest wildcard judging purely by Keim and Standig is Willis.  Standig is connecting them more to Willis than Keim.  I don't think Keim has yet flat out said he heard the team is hyped about Willis but he keeps giving permutations with FA pairings with Willis that could work among other things and gives the vibe for that reason that they are intrigued.  But Standig is more specific on it. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Unless something changed with Keim, he alludes to Pickett being the top guy for them.  But Willis definitiely is being getting many mentions of late. 

I think Keim is more plugged in than other beat guys, and believe him.  IMO, if Pickett is the guy for them, they should try and trade picks with the Panthers.