Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Ok but question: Would you not rather have Collins playing outside LB or some type of hybrid position over what we have right now?  Maybe his price tag is too big, but from what I remember, by November of last season, Collins settled into whatever role JDR found for him and was making a difference for the defense on the outside catches & runs.  

Because of cap space issues they were not able to retain him and he didn't want to re-structure to the new terms. Signing Wentz probably didn't leave much wiggle room for the FO to keep Collins and they had to cut him. 

He played closer to LOS but wasn't too happy about it though. 

Edited by zCommander

10 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

This defense is so frustrating. We never seem to fly to the ball. Never seem to gang tackle anyone. Never seem to get batted balls from the dline, by simply raising their arms when they can't get to the qb. We never seem to rip at the ball, as the ball carrier falls to the ground ( after the tackle is all but guaranteed ) Our secondary seems to go for pass deflections when an int is possible. I just can't stand the complacency. Even if our D is below average with talent, speed, etc, so be it. Too late to change that during the season. However if you go all out to force turnovers, it would help our defense and offense. It would massively increase our odds of winning ballgames.

Umm how did this get a thumbs down? LOL. Unbelievable. I dare anyone to tell me what I said that was even REMOTELY false...

• Thumb down 1

On 9/22/2022 at 7:41 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Mayo and Bostic is a push and no, Bostic is not better than Holcomb in anyway, despite Coles rough start.

I don't know enough about college football to know better, but it seems like it would be a perfect spot for a new comer to cut his teeth. 

Holcomb is not the worst LBer you've ever seen play by a long shot, Hell. remember Highway 57?

Warrick Holdman, I think.  Don't quote me.

More than likely an exaggeration on my end, but, I just do not see it.  As it was mentioned on the site on a previous post, maybe he could be serviceable with a stud MLB and limited responsibilities.  IDK.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Warrick Holdman, I think.  Don't quote me.

More than likely an exaggeration on my end, but, I just do not see it.  As it was mentioned on the site on a previous post, maybe he could be serviceable with a stud MLB and limited responsibilities.  IDK.

It was Warrick Holdman. I remember being so hopeful about the starting LB corps at the beginning of Gibbs II. I believe the starting LBs were Lavar, Trotter and Jessie Armstead. All were former Pro Bowlers/All Pros. Ultimately, none of them worked out. Trotter went back to Philly after 2 years here and became a Pro Bowler again. I do believe Antonio Pierce emerged that season but we let him go shortly thereafter

• Like 1

1 minute ago, method man said:

It was Warrick Holdman. I remember being so hopeful about the starting LB corps at the beginning of Gibbs II. I believe the starting LBs were Lavar, Trotter and Jessie Armstead. All were former Pro Bowlers/All Pros. Ultimately, none of them worked out. Trotter went back to Philly after 2 years here and became a Pro Bowler again. I do believe Antonio Pierce emerged that season but we let him go shortly thereafter

I am not so sure, but I think it was Lavar, Pierce, M. Washington.  Pierce had a good year under Double GG, then bolted for Giants.  Then Lemar Marshall???  Holdman kept Lavar off the field and we were going nuts about it.

Still remember that game in Philly when we clinched NFC East when ST21 sealed it with the scoop and that dive into the endzone....chills!!

Just now, sebestian said:

I am not so sure, but I think it was Lavar, Pierce, M. Washington.  Pierce had a good year under Double GG, then bolted for Giants.  Then Lemar Marshall???  Holdman kept Lavar off the field and we were going nuts about it.

Still remember that game in Philly when we clinched NFC East when ST21 sealed it with the scoop and that dive into the endzone....chills!!

You are right. The Armstead/Arrington/Trotter trio was under Spurrier. It was actually Mike Barrow who they signed to pair with Lavar and M. Washington. He got hurt early and Pierce got his shot out of the gate. Marshall was on the time, I believe, but his emergence came later on.

Marshall was no world beater but he would be the best linebacker on this team. Heck, Rocky McIntosh would be the best linebacker on this team.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, method man said:

You are right. The Armstead/Arrington/Trotter trio was under Spurrier. It was actually Mike Barrow who they signed to pair with Lavar and M. Washington. He got hurt early and Pierce got his shot out of the gate. Marshall was on the time, I believe, but his emergence came later on.

Marshall was no world beater but he would be the best linebacker on this team. Heck, Rocky McIntosh would be the best linebacker on this team.

Winner!!!!!  Totally forgot about Barrow.

20 hours ago, redskinss said:

You care far too much about the opinion of others.

Now there are 4 thumbs down to my post, inexplicably. I care too much? It just doesn't make sense. I know football. Been die hard for 4 decades. I especially know Washington football like the back of my hand. Everything I said is indisputable. Thumbs down = what you said is wrong and ludicrous. However that's not true. What I said is factual. Now a bunch of other people have hit thumbs down too. Either I'm the only one here that understands the problems with this defense or a bunch of childish, immature children are thumbs downing it for no reason 🤷‍♂️

• Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Now there are 4 thumbs down to my post, inexplicably. I care too much? It just doesn't make sense. I know football. Been die hard for 4 decades. I especially know Washington football like the back of my hand. Everything I said is indisputable. Thumbs down = what you said is wrong and ludicrous. However that's not true. What I said is factual. Now a bunch of other people have hit thumbs down too. Either I'm the only one here that understands the problems with this defense or a bunch of childish, immature children are thumbs downing it for no reason 🤷‍♂️

Don't you mean why are they doing that 2Me?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

They're tugging your strings man, and it's apparently working very well.

It's possible to be correct and have someone who is incorrect disagree with you.

The more often you realize this the more often you'll be able to avoid a lot of unnecessary stress.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

They're tugging your strings man, and it's apparently working very well.

It's possible to be correct and have someone who is incorrect disagree with you.

The more often you realize this the more often you'll be able to avoid a lot of unnecessary stress.

I suppose you are right but this defense and it's ineptitudes really shouldn't be debatable. Stevie Wonder can see all of the issues. The ones I mentioned in my original post.

Now more thumbs down by people who know durn well I'm right and they even agree with my obvious critiques of the defense. Oh well, I have better things to do than this crap. I'm out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I suppose you are right but this defense and it's ineptitudes really shouldn't be debatable. Stevie Wonder can see all of the issues. The ones I mentioned in my original post.

Now more thumbs down by people who know durn well I'm right and they even agree with my obvious critiques of the defense. Oh well, I have better things to do than this crap. I'm out. 

6 people don't disagree with your post, they all saw that you quoted yourself in anger towards one thumbs down and they went back just to mess with you a little. 

You probably need to let some stuff roll off your back a little more or people are going to keep trying to get you riled up.

Back on topic I agree, this defense doesn't play anywhere near aggressive enough!

13 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

You're part of a family here. And like any family, there's a mix of characters at every reunion. Your cousins are teasing you at the moment, but they'll also have your back when the fat kid next door picks on you.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Can someone explain with more knowledge than I.  Is William Jackson playing in the wrong scheme.  I remember hearing D Hall saying he hopes they let him play press man to man.  I assume he does not do that with the amount of zone we play.  I am just wondering, he can not possibly be this inept.  

Also, I believed someone mentioned letting St. Juste play outside and play Fuller in the slot.  I second that notion.  I cannot explain why, but I like St. Juste, I want to see him play outside, man him up and let's go.  

How long is going to take until they call Landon up.  They must have really pissed each other off? Darn!!

3 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Can someone explain with more knowledge than I.  Is William Jackson playing in the wrong scheme.  I remember hearing D Hall saying he hopes they let him play press man to man.  I assume he does not do that with the amount of zone we play.  I am just wondering, he can not possibly be this inept.  

Also, I believed someone mentioned letting St. Juste play outside and play Fuller in the slot.  I second that notion.  I cannot explain why, but I like St. Juste, I want to see him play outside, man him up and let's go.  

How long is going to take until they call Landon up.  They must have really pissed each other off? Darn!!

I think the analytics from last year showed that Jackson actually struggled just as much if not more in man as he does in zone. Also in today's NFL very few teams run press man that often. The rules just punish you too much.

Saw this on Reddit.

Just wanted to paste the actual chart but my computer skills were honed and perfected in the Commodore 64 days and sometimes these new fangled thingamabobs get  me discombobulated.

P.S. Am I the only guy that has no recollection of Chris Baker!!??

EDIT:

For completeness (though technically it belongs in another thread) here's PFFs top WFT offense if the decade...

Edited by CommanderInTheRye