Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington Football Team at Detroit Football Team

TK

Just now, method man said:

I don’t know about you but I’ve seen borderline TE1 play since Smith and Allen took over. You’d probably want to upgrade over him but I think you can also take a more patient approach with a Day 2 rookie because you have him.

Maybe that's true and I may be biased by his play early in the season. But I still don't like the all my eggs in one basket approach. What I have seen from him though is that whereas Dwayne was targeting him 7+ times a game, now we've seen JMC is the leading targeted person (as I thought it would be in the offseason) and Thomas was third behind JMC and TMC. I don't think he is reliable enough still (what was that route he ran where I think the ball was to somebody else but he ran the route so close to the other one that it was hard to tell if Smith was accurate to the deeper guy or overthrowing Thomas? Thomas jumped for it and tipped it so neither guy caught it. 

42 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The big thing about SDH coming out was his smarts and work ethic and ability to lead a defense. He was injured so it was hard to get specs on his athletic ability in terms of numbers but they always said he was athletic. So I don't understand why he's never given a chance. He was always considered a steal in the draft. Maybe he is a bum but he made a play last  week in one of the 7 snaps he got, so I'd like to see him more. 

It is a question of where he's best but from what I remember he was inside in Alabama and in previous defenses here (3-4) so the question is can he play MLB in a 4-3? 

You are going too much IMO on draft geek evaluations.  I post that stuff on the draft thread for entertainment purposes.  But that stuff isn't gospel.  Otherwise, why bother with a scouting staff at all?  Just read Walterfootball and Mel Kiper and scout.com before the draft, work their board, and pat yourself on the back whenever you pick a guy that these dudes rate high.

But there is a reason why the process isn't that simple...and dudes running Walterfootball or name that media draft geek aren't actually running front offices. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You are going too much IMO on draft geek evaluations.  I post that stuff on the draft thread for entertainment purposes.  But that stuff isn't gospel.  Otherwise, why bother with a scouting staff at all?  Just read Walterfootball and Mel Kiper and scout.com before the draft, work their board, and pat yourself on the back whenever you pick a guy that these dudes rate high.

But there is a reason why the process isn't that simple...and dudes running Walterfootball or name that media draft geek aren't actually running front offices. 

Isn't that pretty much what Jerry Jones did?  Kept all his scouts away and locked himself away on his boat and pretty much picked the guys that the so-called gurus had rated the highest every pick.  Then all of those "experts" praised how great the Cowboys' draft was and had Dallas as a sure-fire super bowl contender.

BTW, Walterfootball has gone downhill bigtime, IMO.  They were way off last draft, and they aren't looking any better so far this season.  Just really not very good any more.

20 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Isn't that pretty much what Jerry Jones did?  Kept all his scouts away and locked himself away on his boat and pretty much picked the guys that the so-called gurus had rated the highest every pick.  Then all of those "experts" praised how great the Cowboys' draft was and had Dallas as a sure-fire super bowl contender.

BTW, Walterfootball has gone downhill bigtime, IMO.  They were way off last draft, and they aren't looking any better so far this season.  Just really not very good any more.

Yeah though now apparently Jones has backed off in recent years and allows Will McClay (who is arguably one of the best in the business) to make calls.

I see it in the Haskins thread where some are defending Dan by saying he didn't do anything outlandish considering some media draft geeks saw Haskins the same way.  To each their own on that but to me that argument is beyond ridicolous.  Yeah Dan or name any dude off the street could google a player and read some media mock drafts.  But is that really a way to build a team or justify the owner overriding his scouting staff?  To me its absurd. 

Archived