Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tracking former Trump officials

TheGreatBuzz

Appeals court denies Peter Navarro’s bid to avoid reporting to prison next week

A federal appeals court on Thursday denied ex-Donald Trump adviser Peter Navarro’s bid to avoid reporting to a federal prison next week to begin serving a four-month sentence for his contempt of Congress conviction.

The unanimous decision from the DC Circuit Court of Appeals means Navarro will have to report to a federal prison in Miami by March 19.

In the terse, unsigned order from circuit Judges Patricia Millett, Cornelia Pillard and Robert Wilkins, the court said that Navarro hadn’t sufficiently demonstrated why he should remain free while his appeal of the conviction plays out.

Navarro, the judges said, “has not shown that his appeal presents substantial questions of law or fact likely to result in reversal, a new trial, a sentence that does not include a term of imprisonment, or a reduced sentence of imprisonment.”

Click on the link for the full article

Peter Navarro files emergency appeal to Supreme Court to delay prison

Former Trump administration adviser Peter Navarro filed a last-ditch appeal to the Supreme Court Friday, just days before his scheduled prison sentence.

Navarro is supposed to report to federal prison in Miami Tuesday to begin serving a four-month sentence for defying a House Jan. 6 select committee subpoena.

In the emergency application to the Supreme Court obtained by ABC News, attorney Stanley Woodward argued Navarro "is indisputably neither a flight risk nor a danger to public safety should he be released pending appeal."

He had asked two lower courts to allow him to remain free while he appeals his conviction, but U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta -- who presided over Navarro's trial -- and a three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday rejected his request.

Every time I see this thread bumped, I keep thinking back to my original contribution to the thread.  

On 11/8/2020 at 7:16 AM, Larry said:

When I see "Tracking former Trump officials", I visualize CNN repurposing The Big Board, (Their Electoral College board, from their election night coverage) but now with red laser dots all over the map.  

Hosted by Richard Dawson.  

• Haha 2

Peter Navarro Begins 4-Month Jail Sentence for Contempt of Congress

Peter Navarro, a trade adviser to former President Donald J. Trump, reported to federal prison in Miami on Tuesday, becoming the first senior Trump administration official to serve time over his role in the effort to subvert the results of the 2020 election.

Mr. Navarro, 74, who helped engineer Mr. Trump’s plans to stay in power after his electoral defeat in November 2020, was sentenced to four months in prison in January for contempt of Congress after defying a subpoena from the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot.

At a hastily organized news conference shortly before he was set to check into the Federal Correctional Institution in Miami, a low-security prison next to the Miami-Dade zoo, Mr. Navarro reprised familiar denunciations of the Justice Department and the Biden administration.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I watched some video (MSNBC, maybe?) where the news host said that when it comes to election schemes and Jan. 6th, state bar associations around the country might be the only ones so far holding people accountable for their actions.

So far, I think the only punishment handed out for J6 sedition conspirators has been civil fines for saying bad things about corporations.  

'Grow a spine': Ex-Trump aide urges scared officials to stand up against former boss

Miles Taylor, the former chief of staff at the Department of Homeland Security, has become a kind of corraler of ex-Donald Trump officials willing to come out against him.

Speaking to MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace on Tuesday, Taylor revealed he spoke to one former Cabinet official who has not been willing to come out publicly yet but is against a second term.

The host explained that there are so many ex-Trump people who have spoken out in the past, but aren't continuing to do so loudly and often.

"Where is everyone?" Wallace asked Taylor. "Where is everyone who knows that he's a clear and present danger?"

Taylor said that there is no historical context for such a moment, when a former president has dissent from his own team.

"That is hopefully significant enough to give Republican voters who are disaffected the air cover they need to not put this man back in the White House. But that means getting those voices actually out there. Getting them into a cohort," he said.

He said that there are so many people who have courage, but there are still many unwilling to come out publicly for fear that it will destroy their careers.

"But some of these folks, incredibly, are still scared," said Taylor. "They will have spoken out and then say, 'I don't know, I finally got a job, I finally got a job after two years of not being able to find a job. It's about saying to them, 'Look, this is country over party. This is a crucial moment. This is the republic, and don't worry, we have your back.' And also, for the people who haven't spoken out, the time to grow a spine is right now, and the clock is ticking."

Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders ' office potentially violated state laws on purchasing, state property and government records when it purchased a $19,000 lectern for the Republican governor that’s prompted nationwide attention, an audit requested by lawmakers said Monday. 

Legislative auditors referred the findings in the long-awaited audit of the lectern to local prosecutors and the attorney general, and lawmakers planned to hold a hearing Tuesday on the report. The report cited several potential legal violations, including paying for the lectern before it was delivered and the handling of records regarding the purchase. 

Sanders’ office, which has dismissed questions about the lectern, called the audit’s findings “deeply flawed” and a “waste of taxpayer resources and time.”  “No laws were broken,” her office said in a response filed with the report. “No fraud was committed.”

https://apnews.com/article/arkansas-huckabee-sanders-lectern-audit-19000-eb69927a5df693ac3e131b3c80f34b37