Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dennis Green first choice as head coach - Jim Fassel second

O.k. here we go. My first choice of head coach is Dennis Green. Why? Because he has the best track record in the NFL of those available -- won and loss wise, I'm talking about. Never mind he hasn't made it to the Super Bowl. Frig that for now, because you have to make it to the playoffs first, to even have a chance at the Super Bowl.

His offensive teams have always been imaginative, and he has made the playoffs 8 of 10 seasons. A plus is that he has had the respect of his players and knows how to handle problem players or prima dona types, such as Randy Moss. He also knows how to groom QB's, as evidenced by his pick Daunte Culpepper, when everyone said he shouldn't draft those two guys.

Assuming Jimmy Johnson is not available, my second choice would be Jim Fassel. His track record is not as good, but he might bring OL coach Jim McNally with him.

Then if he hired Gregg Williams as DC -- probably doubtful -- that would be my DC choice at the moment. Williams may in turn assure us of signing Jevon Kearse.

There are other NFL assistant coaches available of course, but none have a PROVEN NFL won-loss record, and therefore would be a bigger gamble.

Comments anyone?

Dennis Green

8 out of 10 winning seasons

Only 1 losing season

Made the playoffs 8 out of 10 seasons

Proved he could handle prima dona players like Randy Moss

| 1992 min | 11 5 0 | 0 1 |

| 1993 min | 9 7 0 | 0 1 |

| 1994 min | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |

| 1995 min | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |

| 1996 min | 9 7 0 | 0 1 |

| 1997 min | 9 7 0 | 1 1 |

| 1998 min | 15 1 0 | 1 1 |

| 1999 min | 10 6 0 | 1 1 |

| 2000 min | 11 5 0 | 1 1 |

| 2001 min | 5 10 0 | 0 0 |

| TOTALS | 97 62 0 | 4 8 |

============================================

Jim Fassel

3 out of 7 winning seasons

3 losing seasons

3 playoff 3 out of 7 seasons

Year TM | W L T | W L

1997 NYG 10 5 1 | 0 1

1998 NYG | 8 8 0 | 0 0

1999 NYG | 7 9 0 | 0 0

2000 NYG | 12 4 0 | 2 1

2001 NYG | 7 9 0 | 0 0

2002 NYG | 10 6 0 | 0 1

2003 NYG | 4 11 0 | 0 0

TOTALS | 58 52 1 2 3

You really see Green working with Snyder/Cerrato, inmate? Or Fassel, for that matter?

Says here that as long as those two are the GM here, the head coach is NOT going to be an established guy like that. They don't need that crap at this stage in their careers.

I see the next hire being an established coordinator, wanting his shot at the big chair bad enough to be willing to take the job w/o demanding major personnel input.

Originally posted by Om

You really see Green working with Snyder/Cerrato, inmate? Or Fassel, for that matter?

Om, you make a valid point. But then again the same situation exists in Dallas, where Jerry Jones is in effect the GM. Who would have thought that Bill Parcels with his big ego, would have worked with Jerry Jones? And they have succeeded. :)

The only problem with hiring guys like Romeo Crennel as a head coach, is he doesn't have a PROVEN track record as a head coach. If we give the guy a 5 year contract, then we may have the same Steve Spurrier situation all over again by year two.

Im tired of losing now guys, after 12 years. Lets have at least a couple of playoff seasons to enjoy, and then start worrying about making it to the Super Bowl. :)

Jimmy Johnson is too concerned about his boats to coach. I like Green a little bit more than Fassel. I think Fassel may burn out soon, so scratch him.l The only problem with Green is he's a very proud man. He's going to want to have a say in descisions, and may want the GM role. We just need a coach, and that all. We're going to hire Gregg Williams by Friday, mark my words.

Originally posted by Revitalized WallyG3

I see Dennis Green as the same as Spurrier and Norv. A good football guy, a good guy, players coach, but no discipline.

No Thanks.

How the frig can you say Dennis Green is not a disciplinarian, when he had to handle Randy Moss and was in the playoffs 8 out of 10 seasons in the age of free agency?

He is a proven winner. Geez. At least give me another argument. :rolleyes:

I'm not oing to bash your opinion about Jimmy Johnson.......yes I am. Please don't endorse Jimmy Johnson again. This is not Dallas. Let's stope regergitating the same old coaches. Jimmy Johnson is a good coach. But he hasn't won anything without Emmit Smith, Aikman, or Irving. We don't need another Norv Turner. No more high profiled coaches please. Let's get somebody like Andy Reid. A big fat guy that looks imposing enough to scare this team straight. I like Dennis Green, though. He's done good things with the 49ers, The Stanford Cardinals, and the Vikings. He's proven, and competent. the only thing is we will be looking for a new coach after 3 years. I think Romeo may be the best fit. Maybe somebody else will emerge. I just hope the ghost of Vince Lombardi, and George Allen give the new coach the spirit of Joe Gibss. We need to start winning with attitude. We haven't had that in years.

How bout the dcoordinator for Phily, J. Johnson, o coordinator for the Patriots, Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennell is also good

Jimmie Johnson is not coming here...give up that scenerio, neither is Dennis Green. Both are way too smart to work for Snyder/Cerrato...the career killers in the NFL

My darkhorse is Bill Cowher...he'd be great in DC

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

How the frig can you say Dennis Green is not a disciplinarian, when he had to handle Randy Moss and was in the playoffs 8 out of 10 seasons in the age of free agency?

He is a proven winner. Geez. At least give me another argument. :rolleyes:

Cris Carter repeatedly ****ing coaches out on the sideline with no repercussion. That says a lack of discipline.

Archived