Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lessons from Madden Franchise Mode...(things I should already know)

Renegade7

On 2/15/2020 at 7:05 PM, Renegade7 said:

I think the last thing I'll say in this until anyone else responds is Madden has done much better job of simulating the delicate balance in relation to not being able to pay everyone what they are worth and having to rotate veteran contract that are worth it with rookie contracts while staying within striking distance of a championship. 

That's actually really f'n hard even in real life and makes what the Patriots have done all the more impressive.  And I'm probably convinced now more then ever that tanking in the NFL will never work, the rosters are jus too large for a single draft class to have the impact you need and too many draft picks developing at the same time can be far more trouble then its worth.

Extremes dont work, need balance and luck. No **** right?

Tank for a qb, with elite talent, on the cheap - not a draft class. Above average QBs on rookie contracts are the most enviable commodity in the league. Dallas really missed an opportunity with Dak.

I’d wonder about using the tanking aspect to trade back more often than not.  Build a large base of young players.  As they develop, trade away decent ones for value, re-sign good ones, and use the cap for a blend of blue chip players and cheap depth.  

I might general focus on one blue chip player per position group (on D - 1 corner, 1 linebacker, 1 DE, 1 DT; on O - 1 receiver, 1 TE, a qb, and just shoot for a decent oline), and use cheaper FAs and later draft picks on the rest.  Roll over cap and acquire more picks whenever possible. 

The whole process is tricky enough when we already have parameters in place (aka, our current ‘Skins squad/staff/resources), but starting from scratch sounds like a whole ‘nother beast.  

**** if I know though...

On 2/18/2020 at 6:12 AM, volsmet said:

Tank for a qb, with elite talent, on the cheap - not a draft class. Above average QBs on rookie contracts are the most enviable commodity in the league. Dallas really missed an opportunity with Dak.

Yeah, that’s really the key - finding a good, cheap qb.  After that though, I’m looking at adding picks whenever possible.   

On 2/18/2020 at 7:12 AM, volsmet said:

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, that’s really the key - finding a good, cheap qb.  After that though, I’m looking at adding picks whenever possible.   

That's the interesting part about my experiments, I already had one on the roster each time with Haskins.

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That's the interesting part about my experiments, I already had one on the roster each time with Haskins.

Draft another one if you still have questions. We should draft Tua & not think twice about Young. We should also trade a 5th/etc for Rosen. Haskins, Tua & Rosen guarantee us a cheap QB capable of leading a roster to a SB, the rest is a combination of scheme & luck. 

5C330877-3B54-4A1F-BAA7-2BBBC58259EC.gif

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Draft another one if you still have questions. We should draft Tua & not think twice about Young. We should also trade a 5th/etc for Rosen. Haskins, Tua & Rosen guarantee us a cheap QB capable of leading a roster to a SB, the rest is a combination of scheme & luck. 

So are you saying that in the middle of the second franchise even though Haskins had proven he was worth the investment and well on his way to being an elite QB because of his development that I should've traded him for draft picks in order to get another QB who was on a rookie deal instead?  Is the goal to get a franchise QB or what Houston and KC are doing having franchise QBs still in rookie deals? Getting all those first and second rounders was to try to build around already having a QB, otherwise I would've drafted a QB as part of the tank, I had one already in his mid 20s.

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

So are you saying that in the middle of the second franchise even though Haskins had proven he was worth the investment and well on his way to being an elite QB because of his development that I should've traded him for draft picks in order to get another QB who was on a rookie deal instead?  Is the goal to get a franchise QB or what Houston and KC are doing having franchise QBs still in rookie deals? Getting all those first and second rounders was to try to build around already having a QB, otherwise I would've drafted a QB as part of the tank, I had one already in his mid 20s.

If a QB you believe in is available, take one even if you have one - each year of high quality rookie contract is worth significantly more than anything else, imo. 

Of course, I have not played a video game since sega genesis. 

• 6 months later...

Quick update:

Gave up on trying go win a Superbowl with Haskins in Madden 20 and bought Madden 21 night it came out.

Signed Logan Ryan and starters for LT and LG, Started 0-5 first year anyway, but ended 7-9.

Signed Kamara in offseason and won super bowl in 2021.

Got this done in two days, no cheat codes, all madden simulated, just made Rivera what he needed to run people into submission and D-Line did the rest.

As far as Madden is concerned, Chase Young is the real McCoy.  Playing as my favorite football team might not be such an uphill climb going forward.

That's it, that's the post.  Some optimism for a change. Wife is proud of me and I turned off the PS4.

Archived