Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So has Spurrier finally done me in???

Buddha

I had a very different reaction to yesterday's debacle. At the end of the 3rd quarter, I handed the remote to Mrs. Buddha and left the room. I went to my desk to do some bills and Christmas cards, surfed the net for a bit, ironed off my work clothes for the week, and I finished my evening by watching the finale of "Survivor." I didn't dwell on the loss. In fact, I hardly even thought about it after I surrendered the remote. I may have hit the board once, but honestly can't remember what I read or even if I posted anything.

This morning, I didn't rush to my computer to read the latest Skins news in the WP or WT. I surfed for about 45 minutes on most anything but the Skins, again briefly passing over the thread titles on the board. I've hit the board a couple of times throughout the day during breaks, interested more in fan reactions than actual Skins news.

Fact is, it seems as though Spurrier and his Fun & Gun may have irreparably damaged my hardcore enthusiasm for the team. I can't get angry anymore. It's becoming a waste of my time at a time when I actually do have more important things to be doing than spending hours following this team. I may not even bother watching next week's game, not out of anger or "quitting" on my team, but just because many other things going on right now seem so much more important. And the Skins seem so much more trivial.

Is anyone else experiencing this, and does this mean I have surrendered my "hardcore fan" status???

It's not just you. In the 4th quarter, I also gave the wife the Remote. I then went into the kitchen and made some baby bottles. After that, hung up my jersey, changed my game hat for my postgame hat, took out the trash, came back and asked the wife if she wanted to watch a movie instead of watching the Sunday night game (as we usually do).

I didn't check Extremeskins once last night. I don't think I could have taken it.

Usually on Monday morning, I don't get anything done until about 10am because I am reading the Post, and Extremeskins. Not today. I got a whole bunch of work out of the way, and it was 9:30 before I checked into Extreme.

Sad, sad days these are.

I said in another thread earlier today:

What makes it worse is that my initial reaction was:

"Aw, shucks. They just flat out beat us. We'll get 'em next time."

What has this man done to me???

:sigh:

Originally posted by luckydevi

I switched the channel at halftime to the Maryland game.

So did I, but I feel justified because I needed to calm down before I had a stroke and because my wife was justifiably on my case because I was driving her crazy. On the positive side, my wife said to me "I know what you need". Schwing!

I was at the game, so I couldn’t turn it off. I just waited, had a few more beers and grub until the stadium cleared out – but I clearly detached early in the 3rd quarter. No need to sit in traffic after that showing.

But it made for a great work-out at the gym !

:mad:

I turned it off early in the third quarter too. My wife asked if I wasn't going to watch "the end". I told her I had already seen "the end". Quite frankly, when the Skins lost to the Fish I think a little part of me died. It seemed everyone from the ESPN promotions department to the players on the field knew if they lost that game, the season was over early again. When old PJ fumbled the kick it seemed I was re-living every meaningless loss over the past twelve years at once all over again. Since then it hasn't hurt as much. I don't know why.

Originally posted by The Angry Buddha

I had a very different reaction to yesterday's debacle. At the end of the 3rd quarter, I handed the remote to Mrs. Buddha and left the room. I went to my desk to do some bills and Christmas cards, surfed the net for a bit, ironed off my work clothes for the week, and I finished my evening by watching the finale of "Survivor." I didn't dwell on the loss. In fact, I hardly even thought about it after I surrendered the remote. I may have hit the board once, but honestly can't remember what I read or even if I posted anything.

This morning, I didn't rush to my computer to read the latest Skins news in the WP or WT. I surfed for about 45 minutes on most anything but the Skins, again briefly passing over the thread titles on the board. I've hit the board a couple of times throughout the day during breaks, interested more in fan reactions than actual Skins news.

Fact is, it seems as though Spurrier and his Fun & Gun may have irreparably damaged my hardcore enthusiasm for the team. I can't get angry anymore. It's becoming a waste of my time at a time when I actually do have more important things to be doing than spending hours following this team. I may not even bother watching next week's game, not out of anger or "quitting" on my team, but just because many other things going on right now seem so much more important. And the Skins seem so much more trivial.

Is anyone else experiencing this, and does this mean I have surrendered my "hardcore fan" status???

That is exactly what I did, I think a little bit of me died yesterdey, not sure if I can be a hardcore fan for much longer, its too deppressing.

I worked the graveyard shift and got up at 4:15 hoping to see a good game. With my wife sick and my daughter needing attention, I managed to flip the channel just in time to see the first touchdown.

My mother in law made dinner for us so I went to pick that up and actually missed the rest of the game.

Honestly, I've just had enough.

Wow, I'm really surprised. I pride myself on the fact that I haven't missed a play of a 'Skins game in 2 years. I never even thought of turning the game off, mostly because my Sundays have been dedicated to football for the past 25 years and I quite frankly wouldn't know what to do with myself.

I mean, if you guys are planning on turning your back on the 'Skins forever, even when they start winning again, then more power to you. But it just strikes me as wrong that you'll do more important things when they're at a low point as opposed to when they're winning.

paying bills, writing christmas cards, and ironing your clothes are undeniably more important than football whether the 'Skins are 16-0 or 0-16. So are you saying you'll dedicate Sunday afternoons to more important things even when the 'Skins turn it around, Buddha?

....So are you saying you'll dedicate Sunday afternoons to more important things even when the 'Skins turn it around, Buddha? [/b]

So, Orange, by saying this you expect them to turn things around in our lifetimes? That's good news.:)

Let me make a disclosure here. I decided not to go to the game yesterday just before departure because of the weather. And I must say, I didn't regret it for a second.

As others have said here and elsewhere on the board, this isn't because I'm not a fan -- it's because the team stinks and hasn't done a thing to be worthy of coming out. If I had thought there was any realistic chance of winning the game (or even having a good, competitive game) I'm there.

But just why (other than the fact that I've already laid out $150 for tix and parking) should I go out through sleet and sit in the cold to watch a pile of crap game like that? It's sad when people can't get up for the Cowboys, but that's the way it is.

(I will be there for the Eagles, though -- last game of the year).

This is probably as bad as it has ever been, even worse than Ritchie's season as Head Coach. At least that was close to the glory years and we just just shrug it off as "just a bad year" or "yer bound to have some bad seasons - eventually".

Well here we are.

I've sunk to the same levels of apathy too. I do still watch the entire game - I issed all last season sitting in Bagram and Kuwait and I'll be somewhere in Irag next year - but I have no more emotion at all. I've stopped drinking during the games cuz i just get too angry.

We can't even root for a draft pick cuz we have no clue in the supposed front office and even if we did score a few playas, we have no coaching staff to "coach em up".

Wake me when they're all gone.

In the karma sense, What did we do to deserve this? I say it was sign Deon!

You guys are all stronger than me. I can't walk away or give up the remote. I sit there ... glassy-eyed ... and watch every play of every game.

My 12 year old son Kyle -- the one with the room I painted burgundy and gold for him over the summer -- sits with me, and has picked up certain mannerisms and sayings of mine.

"Gonna be a loooong day." He said this when Dallas scored on their opening drive.

"Pathetic." He said this several times.

"TACKLE him."

And yet, there we sit, unable to turn away. We are inextricably bound to the game. Free Will not a factor.

I told him at some point during the game, "remember how this feels, dude (I call him that - he likes it). Someday, when this team is good again, I want you to remember what it was like, and really appreciate pulling for a winner."

I also told him, when he made noises about leaving at some point, that there's something to be said for sticking it out, even in the worst of times. Something about "paying your dues as a fan." I dunno, maybe that was cruel ... bit it felt right at the time.

I also told him that, come about early March, he's gonna be jonesing for Redskins football BIG TIME ... and if he walks away now, I'm absolutely gonna abuse him for voluntarily missing "Redskin Football Time" when it was there in front of him.

Yeah, I know. That was cruel.

Hey, why should I suffer alone?

I can't do it. I have to watch until the very end. This loss was especially bad because it was at home against the Cowboys. What a disaster, but I couldn't look away. I quess I am just a glutton for punishment. I will watch the next 2 games until the bitter end also. I don't blame the people who couldn't stomach Sundays game there wasn't anything being done on the field worth watching.:( It was a very sad day for Redskin fans.

Bhudda, I believe there's a term for what you were feeling on Sunday.

Disgust.

I turned the game off when Hambrick ran the ball to the 1 with four minutes to go. First time I have done that in a looooong time. I didn't turn off the game early when we got crushed by Tampa or Buffalo. I didn't do that last year when Philly crushed us 37-7. I didn't do it the year before when we were mired in the worst opening 3 game series in Redskin history. Like Om, I pride myself in the the fact that I stick with my team no matter what.

But I did it Sunday. Turned it off early.

But I didn't feel like I had abandoned them. On Sunday, I felt like the team had abandoned ME. They had already packed it in and gone home by the four-minute mark, so I didn't feel the need to sit there by myself.

And this week? I'm not really mad. Just disgusted.

This is probably as bad as it has ever been, even worse than Ritchie's season as Head Coach. At least that was close to the glory years and we just just shrug it off as "just a bad year" or "yer bound to have some bad seasons - eventually".

Fish, this is a great point. When we stunk RFK out in the 1993 season, it was almost like it was bound to happen. For 10 years we dominated the NFC East and I was SURE it wouldn't be long for us to get back ontop.

Now that it's been 10 more years...it's probably very close to a low-point for the franchise.

I'm the same way as OM though...I just can't turn my back. There can be 1:00 left in the 4th quarter of a 35-0 game and I want us to get in the endzone on a garbage TD. Then I'll have a bright spot and be able to say "Wow, Timmy threw a dart there." or "Nice catch LC!"

I'm hopeless I think.

I watched every gruelling second of the game until I read the double 0's at the end of the 4th. I hate saying I told you so, but I told you that this was how it was going to be with Spurrier. I too keep hoping that he'll learn, but I doubt he will.

Archived