Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bredskin

Lavar Arrington New Position

Recommended Posts

Arrington should be moved to the middle. Everything will be right in front of him. He won't be out of position all of the time. Trotter can be a post-June 1 cut to save cap room. He's lost a step and a half anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing Lavar in the middle has been brought up quite a bit in the past & it would be an interesting move, but I am unsure if he has the instincts to play MLB.

Maybe playing ILB in the 3-4 ala Kendrell Bell would be a better fit for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its better to have Lavar at MLB cuz if he gets let loose on one side the opposing team just runs to the other. That's what i've seen so far, i say trade trotter, so u at least get somethin out for him and keep Armstead. what u guys think?

------------------------------------

0-16,16-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why trade Trotte he isn't the one that is going to cost 12 Million.. I say Lavar should go Trotter is the one leading the team in tackles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see Arrington in a position to make a tackle, one that includes wrapping his damn arms around the ball carrier and pulling him down. I'd like to see Arrington in a position to intercept a pass, instead of the usual harmless deflection. Finally, I'd like to see Arrington in a position to read a developing play and defend it, instead of the usual "cattle call" chase to somehow stop a long gain.

Finally, I'd like to see Arrington as a Post June 1st cut. He hasn't shown the ability to play in any defense other than that of Joe Paterno at Penn St. Sometimes, players are just losers and poor draft picks, and I think Arrington in four years has proved he's a freakish athlete with little football instincts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks to me like Lavar is the only one on our team that can consistently put pressure on the quarterback. Lavar seems to be the player that most often causes a fumble or bats away a pass. He also seems to miss tackles when going for a kill shot. Lavar is the catalyst on our defense. I think the defensive coaches would do themselves a favor by looking at what Ritchie Petitbon did with Wilbur Marshall, especially during the '91 season. Marshall had one of the more outstanding, sustained performances for an entire year that year in the history of the NFL. He should've been the NFL's defensive MVP. It wouldn't hurt to pull out tapes of LT and look at how the Giants used him in there system AND how the Chiefs used Derrick Thomas. Lavar is a special player. He needs more of the defensive scheme designed around his abilites, which are exceptional. Do not cut him. Restructure his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ONLY people that look like they're playing with both fire and discipline in our front 7 are our DTs. Yes, DaltonChaseHolseyRussel are doing more to help us win than smith, upshaw, arrington, trotter, and armstead combined. Parcells did the exact same thing as in the first matchup and as everyone else has exploted: run outside the DTs.

How much room did Hambone have up the middle? Very little. All of his gouging occurred while running at the DE's who didn't make a play and the OLB's who kept putting themselves out of position. It appears that our LB's are playing with very little discipline to the scheme. That, or Edwards, has given them great latitude. As a result, it looks like our guys aren't even on the same team at times.

We already know about our problems at DE. But it appears that either our LBs have ignored Edwards teachings, or Edwards just turned them loose.

I like our secondary, and hope we can keep Champ for a reasonable price and get an edge rusher. I don't think we will be able to though. That's why I advocate trading him and let Bauman move up. The kid has played solidly and made some plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What some of you don't realize is that Levar's biggest problem is fighting off blocks. That is something that MLB's have to do on just about every play. For anyone who's ever played MLB, it's like being in a pinbal machine. One play the Center's assignment is to block you, sometimes along with someone else. Sometimes it's the Guard..etc. Meanwhile, you have to fight you're way through chaos, and get to the ball. Levar has trouble fighting off blocks from the TE and other lineman on the weakside. MLB is out of the question. If he really want's to be on the level of a Ray Lewis, he needs to realize that it's not just about passion adn intensity. It's about intelligence and instinct, and sadly it's these two things that he may lack.

He also needs to be put down in the 3 point stance again on passing downs, and learn how to rush the QB. That's what M. Lewis had him doing. He was trying to make Levar a complete LB. Sometimes players and people in general don't know what's good for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cannot cut Samuels, or Arrington...first because it would be stupid but more importantly because the cap hit would destroy us. Not at all feasible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you guys sound like the snydser that the media portrays.

IOW making blind and foolishly reactions.

Trotter had major knee surgery this past offseason , remember?

He should be back to himself next season

I do agree that the players need to be reigned in and go back to the structure we saw with Marv but that will happen whe we have DEs that can bing the heat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by RTerps2002

Why trade Trotte he isn't the one that is going to cost 12 Million.. I say Lavar should go Trotter is the one leading the team in tackles...

You need to wash your mouth out with battery acid after that comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by RTerps2002

The problem is those players you named Wilber Marshall and Derrick Thomas we very instinctive player Lavar is not.

:rolleyes: Are you trying to convince yourself that this is true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People forget fast how LaVar and LaVar himself was able to turn around that sad season under Marty Ball. If memory serves me correct it was against Carolina and he picked the ball returning it for a touchdown! And we want to get rid of our best player? Wow you guys really know talent when you see it. I think the talk about LaVar being traded is hogwash and should be stopped. And for anyone to defend our DT play is stupid as well the whole bunch in that front 4 sucks and will most likely always suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it never seemed to me that lavar was able to shed blockers well enough to play the middle. he is pretty good at running past someone, but not fighting through them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he moves at all, I would figure to move him into space as the weakside OLB and put Armstead at strong side OLB. Armstead fights off blocks better anyway. At weak side, Arrington could move, blitz, play more of a role like at PSU. Anything other than a 3-point stance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by JoeSkins

If he moves at all, I would figure to move him into space as the weakside OLB and put Armstead at strong side OLB.

If I'm not mistaken, they've already made that switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by rellim

What some of you don't realize is that Levar's biggest problem is fighting off blocks. That is something that MLB's have to do on just about every play. For anyone who's ever played MLB, it's like being in a pinbal machine. One play the Center's assignment is to block you, sometimes along with someone else. Sometimes it's the Guard..etc. Meanwhile, you have to fight you're way through chaos, and get to the ball. Levar has trouble fighting off blocks from the TE and other lineman on the weakside. MLB is out of the question. If he really want's to be on the level of a Ray Lewis, he needs to realize that it's not just about passion adn intensity. It's about intelligence and instinct, and sadly it's these two things that he may lack.

He also needs to be put down in the 3 point stance again on passing downs, and learn how to rush the QB. That's what M. Lewis had him doing. He was trying to make Levar a complete LB. Sometimes players and people in general don't know what's good for them.

I'm constantly surprised at how many people appear to both think Marvin Lewis is a genius and that Lavar is awesome. I feel that if you think both are true, at some point you'll have to back down a bit on one, since Lavar fairly openly questioned Marvin Lewis's decisions last year (in particular, the one you are talking about).

So, who thinks that Marvin Lewis was right? I think Marvin Lewis, even before this year, had the success on his resume that should have made him get the players' respect. Now, after this year, would anyone think that Lavar was NOT being a bit of a jerk last year? Don't you think that maybe Marvin Lewis knows what he is doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by OtNaz24

its better to have Lavar at MLB cuz if he gets let loose on one side the opposing team just runs to the other. That's what i've seen so far, i say trade trotter, so u at least get somethin out for him and keep Armstead. what u guys think?

------------------------------------

0-16,16-0, skins fan till i die!!!

I dont think I know enough about the LB position to know what to do. I do know however that Trotter sucks and we wont get more than a 5th Rounder for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.