Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I think Herz is ultimately a reliever too, but I like what I’ve seen from him so far. Sykora I am really excited about. I’m waiting for Lile and Lara to push their way into Top 100 lists

20 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think Herz is ultimately a reliever too, but I like what I’ve seen from him so far. Sykora I am really excited about. I’m waiting for Lile and Lara to push their way into Top 100 lists

Herz reminds me of Andrew Miller from the Red Sox, Orioles, Indians, and Yankees. You give him every opportunity to earn a rotation spot, but could be an absolute weapon in the bullpen.

As difficult and expensive as it is to find starting pitching. I’m all for giving these guys as much rope as possible.

The industry thought Irvin was destined to be a BP arm, but he’s proven to be quite the find.

• Thanks 1

Very true. Both Parker and Irvin are getting more soft contact. Irvin was in the single digits for both EV and HH%. Both have improved in those areas.

Herz delivery is what worries me, and his control. He is a LH version of Tyler Clippard to me

6 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Huh ok...are we going to re-experiment with Lipscomb at 1B, or shift other guys around? His most recent AAA stint had only two 1B starts with the rest split between 2B/3B.

I think I'd like to continue that experiment and see if we can't get more chaos on the base paths with a 1B that can actually steal bags. Gallo/Meneses have only stolen 3 bags combined.

11 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Huh ok...are we going to re-experiment with Lipscomb at 1B, or shift other guys around? His most recent AAA stint had only two 1B starts with the rest split between 2B/3B.

I think I'd like to continue that experiment and see if we can't get more chaos on the base paths with a 1B that can actually steal bags. Gallo/Meneses have only stolen 3 bags combined.

it was going to be him or Adams. I would have been ok with either. Actually was curious to see Adams try 1B. But whatever, welcome back Trey.

5 straight is the longest win streak since 2021. With trash Marlins coming to town could be higher. And even if it isn't it seems they've righted the ship overall. Now just take Corbin out of the rotation and this team should be fine especially with easy opponents coming up

9 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

And our AA farm guys are rolling.

Brad Lord, 7 innings, 2 hits, 0 walks, 10 strikeouts

Dylan Crews, 2 for 4 with a double

Brady House, 1 for 4 with a HR

Good Lord!

9 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Good to see CJ drive the ball with some authority tonight. Hope he locks back into his march-april productivity again.

He needs to stop chasing. If he would even work a league average walk rate, he’d be an MVP candidate 

3 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

5 straight is the longest win streak since 2021. With trash Marlins coming to town could be higher. And even if it isn't it seems they've righted the ship overall. Now just take Corbin out of the rotation and this team should be fine especially with easy opponents coming up

Corbin will come out of the rotation soon. But they are not going to rush Gray and Cavalli. Now they may send Herz back first, but when the other two are ready (which may be the All-Star break), Corbin will be out of the rotation.

Going into the season, I thought they should go big in FA for a starter. But with the emergence of Parker and Irvin and success of others in the minors such as Alvarez and Lord, I’d be hesitant to spend big there.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Good Lord!

Since the beginning of May (8 starts), he's got a 0.9 for both ERA and WHIP.

They just promoted Andrew Alvarez from AA (2 games, 1 awful outing, 1 good one) so I get maybe not wanting to promote another so fast but come on...the AAA starting pitching looks pretty replaceable.

image.png.f5a1c52c22a255fdbc26e088fe0db58e.png

Herz is (probably) temporarily up in the majors. But what's Thad Ward going to do for us in his Age 27 season and pitching numbers like that? What's holding Brad Lord back from moving up given he's clearly better than his level of competition.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Since the beginning of May (8 starts), he's got a 0.9 for both ERA and WHIP.

They just promoted Andrew Alvarez from AA (2 games, 1 awful outing, 1 good one) so I get maybe not wanting to promote another so fast but come on...the AAA starting pitching looks pretty replaceable.

Herz is (probably) temporarily up in the majors. But what's Thad Ward going to do for us in his Age 27 season and pitching numbers like that? What's holding Brad Lord back from moving up given he's clearly better than his level of competition.

It’ll happen. Lord has only made 11 AA starts. Alvarez made 14 before his promotion.

They just signed a guy named Solesky from independent ball and Seth Shuman is progressing in his rehab. There’ll be some upward pressure to create spots in Harrisburg.

Guys at AAA have really been struggling: Rutledge, Ward, and Adon.

They have 38 rosters spots filled with Ferrer and Cavalli on the 60 day. I’d have to think Ward is number 37 or 38 in terms of safety. He’s probably not very comfortable right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

The thing that jumps out to me most about this chart is DJ Herz. He's only 23 at AAA, has only a 3.75 ERA despite a 1.417 WHIP. Where's that from? His goddawful 7.3 BB/9. MLB league average is 2.9. "Awful" per Fangraphs starts at 4.0 BB/9. If he could improve his walk rate to "only" awful, he'd have a 2.625 SO/W rate and his WHIP would probably be probably around 1.000 (I could do the math but I'm too lazy). It's a fairly small sample size with only 36 IP here, but I wonder if we have something to work with. 

editing to add- https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=herz--000dav his stats across several minor league teams the previous few years kind of back this up. He's wild but has a ridiculous K rate. As @Riggo#44 mentioned this probably profiles for the bullpen, but he's still got some real developing left to do. I'd keep him in the rotation as long as possible. 

Edited by TheGoodBits
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

What a night for MacKenzie Gore. 7 innings. 10 strikeouts. 1 run. 1 dugout dust up.

Three hits and a walk for Abrams. Another game with an XBH.

On the farm, Susana had 2 runs in 5 innings with 7K.

Josiah Gray made a rehab start with Harrisburg. 1 run in 4.1IP. I’d imagine that he makes another rehab start or two before returning.

Chase Solesky, a guy they signed from the Independent League relieved Gray with 5 shut out innings. Impressive.

Yesterday, they added Eduardo Salazar, a pitcher to the 40 man roster. He’ll pitch for Rochester. Still an open slot there.

• Like 1